myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2013 US Windsurfing Nationals
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Bic promoted the 283 as a One Design class for a short while. But being a shortboard, limits it's usability in a wide range of practical and common winds found in populated areas where you might get enough people interested in holding a race.

Bic also had the 293.
And then... they added a centerboard to a new model of the 293... and tried to promote that has a One Design. And THAT has been very succesful. There is a very large number of teens racing those boards One Design.... as a learning step into the RS-X Olympic board.
(These boards with centerboards, will sail effeciently in light winds, and will go upwind well in light winds... so, you can have interesting courses.)

The Exocet Kona One is a very different concept. It is very similar to the very good longboards of the early to mid 90's longboards. (The very good raceboards from that era will beat a Kona One... but still, the Kona is a very good design.) You can sail it in almost any wind... therefore racing can always be done with it. And, One Design racing with that board has also been very successful.

I don't know how long the Long Distance race will be. They can vary a lot, I don't have much experience with them.
Greg -
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody actually LOOKING at my wife's lovely website? The proposed course for the long-distance race is on there, traced onto a nice aerial photograph.

I raced a Techno in a one-design race long ago, it has a tendency to stuff the nose on steep downwind courses in big ocean chop.

windward1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Long Distance Race Into Reply with quote

Hi Spennie,

And a very nice website it is, indeed. Now that you directed me back to it and I have looked at the long distance race it is very infomative. When I first read the text, it sounded like three different ends to the course, what with this gate and that gate, but the diagram when enlarged and the explanation makes if very clear. Great display of the one possible plan.

Guess I had better start working on my endurance.......don't want to be gated by being out of shape.

Windward1
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
SNIP (all great comments about the Bic boards!)

The Exocet Kona One is a very different concept. It is very similar to the very good longboards of the early to mid 90's longboards. (The very good raceboards from that era will beat a Kona One... but still, the Kona is a very good design.) You can sail it in almost any wind... therefore racing can always be done with it. And, One Design racing with that board has also been very successful.

I don't know how long the Long Distance race will be. They can vary a lot, I don't have much experience with them.
Greg -

Greg, you hit many good points about the Kona, but allow me to offer a different observation. Raceboards sailed really well should beat a Kona One in lighter winds. But once the winds come up, if they are fairly steady, the Kona One can be sailed upwind on the fin. It's VMG is so good that it gives the RS:X on its fin a run for its money. Downwind in these conditions, the Kona One will be nearly as fast as a FW board and dust every Raceboard ever made.

We saw this in full effect during the last two races of the Calema Midwinters and as well on the day before when all racing was cancelled due to gusts over 40 but a few of us on Kona went out trimmed for speed. True, we stayed closer to shore to avoid the monster gusts on our large sails. The Kona One's secret is a progressive rocker plus the step tail that locates the fin rather forward. This combination allows the mast base to effectively move back and gives the Kona that control and speed longboarders of all kind love.

windward1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Kona Surf Reply with quote

Hi Dan and Greg,

I do have a Kona Surf. It has a daggerboard. I do not have a Kona One, nor ever sailed one.

I would think the Kona Surf could not compete that well against the Kona One in course racing, but what can you guys tell me about it? Any wind condition that it might do OK?

Windward1
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Windward1,
I'm glad those with more specific experience jumped in, I was just trying to give you some "casual - starter" advice Smile

And yes, Spennie... when I now dig deeper into the 2013 National's website, there is lots of very good info.

I've only read a little bit more, but see that Dan has some very good experience with the Kona products, so he (and others) can probably answer your more specific question.

And I have one too - How much wind (with no lulls) is needed to get a 220L KonaOne planing powered-up... on close - beam - and broad reaches... so that it will beat a 235-250L 18 year old raceboard (which weighs the same or less) on a up/down wind course... by 200 lb good recreational sailors, not by KonaOne racing experts ???
I mean... I have seen 'em and checked 'em out, but haven't sailed one yet. And I believe what you said. I'm just asking, for a heavyweight, are you talking about steady filled in 13 mph winds... or 18... or 23 mph winds? Or, where in there is the sweet spot?
Thanks for any info Smile

Greg -
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: