myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
the season just around the corner....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: the season just around the corner.... Reply with quote

Hi....
Looks like lots of NW clearing winds instead of the N-NE stuff of winter.
Can the season be just around the corner?
We've already had some thermal sailible winds at Berkeley.
Hope all you windsurfers start to gather your gear.
I'm a wimp and have passed on most days this week, but sailed Tuesday and past Sat.
buzzwordbrad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i miss sitting on the bench at csc waiting for the wind this time of year with you guys. and i miss the 9.0. and i miss the blond foreign chicks.
jayturcot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at the forecast/sensors the last week or so and have been waiting for my first day out of 2013.
It's very hard to stay focused on skiing when it's shorts+T-shirt weather in SF!

With the upcoming long weekend; and a NW flow in the models (no CLUE how to read the forecast for the Bay area yet.. just moved here), I'm hoping to get out *somewhere* this weekend. Any idea where might happen?

Have a 5/3 semi-dry but compared to Boston in February; I think I should be set when it comes to water temp... just need a local tip on where to go.
I'm a lousy wave-sailor though so will avoid the coast for now...
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might post where you live.
I"m in Berkeley area.
Have sailed Marin for 10 years, and SF for 5.
And SouthBay works on NW winds, Coyote, Candlestick, and 3rd.
But Bodega high tide catches it first, then Tomales.
jayturcot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in the city: Glen Park neighborhood so 5ish minutes away from Candlestick but relatively mobile (finish work around 3pm most days).

So far I've sailed one day at Coyote and one day teaching a friend at Alameda (both last year).

Definitely want to explore all the bay area launches, since I've somehow have heard of many of them (candlestick, crissy, waddell), the same way I knew of Doug's, the Hatch, event Site long before my first trip to the gorge.
A childhood of windsurfing magazines I guess!
FrenchieMary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing the blond foreign chicks at CSC ?? You mean Katie and Mary? Smile)
carl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayturcot wrote:
With the upcoming long weekend; and a NW flow in the models (no CLUE how to read the forecast for the Bay area yet.. just moved here), I'm hoping to get out *somewhere* this weekend. Any idea where might happen?

Have a 5/3 semi-dry but compared to Boston in February; I think I should be set when it comes to water temp... just need a local tip on where to go.
I'm a lousy wave-sailor though so will avoid the coast for now...

The real wind season in the bay area is April thru Sept, that you can count on wind almost every afternoon. Although there are usually good days in march and oct too.
Feb is still pretty hit or miss for wind (mostly miss). But watch the NWS forcast and iwindsurf meters each day to see if it's coming up in the afternoon and you might get lucky. I caught a good 6.0 saturday at Coyote a couple weeks ago. I think were due for another.

A 5/3 is ok, but get a 2mm neopreme vest to wear under it to keep the cold water from entering the zipper. A neopreme hat is good too. Most scuba dive shops sell vests, or get it online.
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Tomales Bay on Sunday? Reply with quote

Hey saw these blurbs on Poulton site from NWS-

by saturday afternoon the thermal trough will break down as a systems moves through to our north...resulting in a return of brisk nw winds to most of the ocean waters.

point arena (nr Ukiah) to point reyes to 10 nm-
point reyes to pigeon point (S of Half Moon Bay) to 10 nm-
219 am pst thu feb 14 2013

sat
n winds 5 to 15 kt...becoming nw 15 to 25 kt.
wind waves 3 to 5 ft. w swell 6 to 8 ft at 17 seconds.

sun
nw winds 15 to 25 kt. wind waves 4 to 7 ft.
w swell 7 to 9 ft.

Maybe Tomales Bay best on Sunday? What do the 3 (2?) locals say?
These weekend winds are not showing up on the Sailflow app.

Don't give up on skiing yet, snow will be falling next week. Clearing winds are begining to show on the Sailflow app for next Tues/Wed.

jayturcot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips carl.

Quote:
A 5/3 is ok, but get a 2mm neopreme vest to wear under it to keep the cold water from entering the zipper. A neopreme hat is good too. Most scuba dive shops sell vests, or get it online.

Yea, mine's a NP 3k, so it's their "semi-dry" (minimal flush, slow water penetration through zipper/wrists). I've got mitts (which I hate), hood + thermal long-sleeve (again which I hate), as well as a Promotion neoprene toque (which is awesome).
Haven't felt the water yet but 55F water is very doable w/ that setup (unlike Boston in February, in which case it's downright stupid).

From the sensor histories; it definitely looks like March is when the wind kicks in.
In Vancouver, spring had the best thermals because the land-heated up MUCH faster than the water did setting up a stronger gradient.

Q: Can I expect a thermal push to help out the NW this early in the year?
Q: Does the thermal in the bay resolve on either the NAM 12km, or GFS 0.4deg model?
.... or should I mentally add a few mph if there's a hot sunny day to boot
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: the season just around the corner.... Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:

Can the season be just around the corner?

It depends on your gear: I have been sailing regularly March 1st to end of October for the last three years with the help of a larger slalom board (Is-111 + 7.3/8.0). This year I got a SUP and the season never stopped. I am now used to go to the beach with my SUP, I carry a small sail just in case, sometimes a board, and I got 4 days of windsurfing since December (two on slalom) not counting 3 weeks off with the flu, plus a ton of very fun SUP.

That's the way I look at it now: there is no more "season", just changing conditions at the beach all year around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: