myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best carbon boom for wave sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh Angulo by Streamlined. Also the most expensive. However, like most quality items, you will be able to continue using it longer than the products by competitors.

Best design - lightest, stiffest, strongest
US made - and like a Harley Motorcycle, can be rebuilt
Narrow - keeps you in closer to the wave

Small medium or large in 15 mm increments with 50 mm of adjustments means that most folks only need one.

The next best is the mauisails boom.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most popular booms around the SF Bay area seem to be the Maui Sails and Chinook Pro 1, although there's a pretty loyal following for the Streamlined booms.

I personally use the Streamlined and Maui Sails 140s. I have not used the Chinook. I've also used the Simmer Black Line (fairly standard Aeron).

Some observations:

Streamlined: strongest and stiffest boom I have used. I'm typically not a fan of the new school shape booms (Simmer, Naish, Severne, Aeron, etc...) but this one didn't bother me. The rotational weight seems to be very low, the tail end feels very light and makes the whole sail feel a little lighter in transitions. The head is very stiff and positive... no weird creaking noises. I got the RDM only version, and once set up it's very easy to attach/detach. There is a little trick to adjusting the straps, but once you know it it's pretty easy (although not as easy as a regular head) and I haven't had any slippage problems. I'm really liking the front end at this point, although some people don't like it.

Maui Sails: the bend I really like. The grip size also seems to be the smallest of any other boom I mentioned (even though the literature/specs would say otherwise). I measured the grip size on this boom and it was smaller than another boom that was supposedly 3 or 4mm smaller. The tailpiece is 60cm long, and it has absolute length markings. I like the loop and go on the tailpiece, and everything is easy to adjust. The front end is very good. My only complaint is that the lever is a bit bulky and sometimes I bang my forearms on it. This boom is stiff and light, although not quite as stiff nor as light as the Streamlined.

These booms both come in a nice 140cm base size which will easily cover 3.3 and up... a great size for the coast or bay sailing. The Maui Sails boom also comes in a 130 size for lighter sailors. I've considered putting a Streamlined head on my Maui Sails boom to see if it stiffens it up a tad.

I don't know how these compare to the newest Chinook (haven't tried it yet).

my $0.02

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
VinceSF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windmaddness wrote:

Chinook are a lil too narrow to make any out haul adjustment without having the sail touching the boom, even the smaller sizes like 4.7.

Sail touching the boom = extra batten. this is actually good!
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an adjustable outhaul on all my sails, 4.0 to 5.8, and use Chinook Carbon booms, the two small older wave shapes, and I never have a problem with my sails hitting the boom. I use sailworks sails. The newer Chinook booms, with the upgraded shapes, are even wider up front, so I can't see how anyone could have a problem with the sail hitting the boom unless one is using large amounts of negative out haul.

Really old sails? Trying to get a really small sail powered up in not enough wind? I don't get it.

KMF
windmaddness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sail touching the boom = extra batten. this is actually good!

How is it a good thing when you put your knuckles or thumb in the mono film every time your sail is back winded?

Also, when you let go of the out haul you want the sail to get baggier, narrow booms don't allow that, they in fact change the shape of the foil and create turbulence=drag. Extra battens make the sail stiffer, you lose the soft feel that we all look for in a good sail... And after all, boom rubbing against the sail, session after session will make a nice mark on it or worse, slash it.

I personally like gear with range of use and allows tuning, boom is a huge part of it.
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a streamlined boom, and I would agree it is very stiff and light. But the head is a huge PITA. If you set it up for say a RDM 430 mast, and then switch to a 370, the slightly smaller mast diameter means the damn thing slips. Adjusting the head is an exercise in frustration fiddling with those tiny little straps ( too tight, too loose, too tight, too loose arrrrg!!) .
It's hard enough to do with warm dry fingers at home, but try it on a cold beach.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mark the correct setting on my Streamlined webbing so I only have to adjust it once ... once every damn time I rig it, even though it's always on the same mast. They creep.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewc wrote:
I have a streamlined boom, and I would agree it is very stiff and light. But the head is a huge PITA. If you set it up for say a RDM 430 mast, and then switch to a 370, the slightly smaller mast diameter means the damn thing slips. Adjusting the head is an exercise in frustration fiddling with those tiny little straps ( too tight, too loose, too tight, too loose arrrrg!!) .
It's hard enough to do with warm dry fingers at home, but try it on a cold beach.

yeah, it can be a PITA if your masts have a big difference in diameter or if you have a wide range of masts. I only use it on a 400 and 370, and I don't have to adjust it. some of my customers have retrofitted their Streamlined Booms with Maui Sails heads. Funny to think that I was thinking of doing the opposite.

Have you tried a thin rubber shim to used with your 370? I used to have to do this with some older booms I had, and I found it was a lot easier than trying to adjust the head perfectly.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had actually gone with the non-RDM head, as I could have used the Ezzy rubber shims which seem to grip the mast really well without need a huge amount of pressure.

I assume you are referring to those thin hard plastic shims. I haven't seen one of those for years - can they still be found?
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew. I've noticed the same problem in mast sizing. My 430 is just slightly bigger around then my 400 or 370.

My solution is the take some time the first time I set my Steamlined booms up - at home, not on the beach. Take the bottom half of your smallest diameter mast and snug the straps too tight without reversing the strap and putting it thru the final slot in the buckle. With the head on the mast flex the lever shut - the strap will slowly slip (using pressure) as you close it. When you get to the point the strap is tight and the lever will barely snap closed, stop. Put the strap the rest of the way through the buck and pull it tight - this sets up enough friction to prevent any more slipping. Now close it all the way. It should snap shut with an audible noise. It should also take some effort to open. If so, good it wont slip. Once you have both straps set up and closed over the mast, get the straps nice and wet with your garden hose and let them dry in position in the sun.

What about my 430 bigger mast? Its even tighter but I can still get it closed. The rubber on the bushings and the stretch in the straps allow for some adjustment.

After a while on my big mast, I may want to adjust them smaller again for a smaller rig. Generally, I only have to mess with one at a time to keep them from slipping. Next time out, I'll do the other one. You get a feel for how much pressure you need to use to close the levers and not have the rig slip. Don't be afraid to set them really tight. The levers are short and unlike the maui sails head, would take a lot of effort to use enough force to crush the mast. If the Steamlined levels have ever wacked your fingers opening, then they are nice and tight - keep your fingers out of the way next time. Like any piece of equipment, you learn the quirks.

Its taken me way more time to write this post than to do a quick adjustment.

New straps are available from Murrays once they wear out. I get about 150 uses out of them between replacement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: