myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
No easy answers we're all farked
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky, I'll take a stab at your question, but I'll admit up front that I'm far from being a knowledgeable source. From what I understand, the value of Japanese property suffered a tremendous deflationary hit, and it has not come close to a prosperous recovery. Also, the Japanese population is significantly aging, and that fact weighs heavily on economic growth by slowing it down. One must also consider the impact of emerging nations in Asia, particularly China, that have had an affect on their job growth and the growth of demand.

While we are a much larger and more diverse nation, with many of the vast resources that the Japanese lack, we too are being affected by the same factors as the Japanese. Even though it appears that home values have been rebounding nicely, we can't do much to change an aging population and the affects of an emerging third world. It going to be increasingly hard to stay on top. The way that I see it, we need to get real innovative, both to create good jobs and to generate healthy sustainable demand. Frankly, austerity isn't going to cut it. Japan has been doing the austerity thing for some time now, and where has it gotten them?
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

In 2006, Wiedemer and a team of economists accurately predicted the collapse of the U.S. housing market, equity markets, and consumer spending that almost sank the United States. They published their research ... accurately predicting what many thought would never happen, and quickly established Wiedemer as a trusted voice.

As much as I agree that the stock market is farked, Wiedemer is not a trustworthy source. His goal is to sell, not your best financial interest, and his message has been identical for the last 3 years, just spun out again every 6 months as his subscription revenue dries up.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The challenge for Republicans, put simply, is this: Can the GOP go from “wacko birds” to the White House in three years’ time? Not easily."

The above closing statement by Chris Cillizza in his Washington Post article says a lot about the Republican party right now, particularly in light of recent CPAC activities and the cast of characters involved.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/will-the-real-republican-party-please-stand-up/2013/03/17/9f61709c-8f15-11e2-bdea-e32ad90da239_story.html?hpid=z8
mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think another round of deflation is unlikely. We had a substantial round of deflation in housing, and if you adjust for the low cost of borrowing, lower prices for housing are still a drag on the economy. With boomers retiring and dying, there might be some continued slowness in the recovery of housing prices.

I do think that, over the long term, too high a debt for the overall economic output, will lead to long term inflation. But it is the easiest thing to do politically--balancing the budget takes cutting benefits and increasing taxes, and neither party has the fortitude to speak honestly to the public. Long term inflation--which has been built into our economy for most of my life--is kind of an invisible tax. We will be paid in cheaper dollars for our retirement benefits and our houses.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
Wiedemer is not a trustworthy source.

His goal is to sell, not your best financial interest, and his message has been identical for the last 3 years, just spun out again every 6 months as his subscription revenue dries up.

The Wiedemer brothers have never tried to sell me anything.

Those siding with and often betting fortunes on the scenarios the Wiedemers forecast include many of the world's most famous billionaires and leaders of such institutions as Charles Schwab, Standard & Poor's, Dow Jones Market Watch, the world's biggest fund, Goldman Sachs, Smart Money, an AP reviewer, and thousands of investors who got rich when the bubbles collapsed on schedule in 2007/8.

Opposing them is an anonymous internet wanker.

Choose accordingly.
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
internet wanker.

swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Opposing them is an anonymous internet wanker."

In my view, capetonian is arguably one of the more astute and knowledgeable posters here. What's with the disdainful cheap shot?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments schandler, mac and captonian. I guess it's safe to say further deflation seems unlikely at theis point.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
Thanks for your comments schandler, mac and captonian. I guess it's safe to say further deflation seems unlikely at theis point.

I have been following the Weidemers for 8 years, its a joke. Aftershock is riddled with low probabilty hypos, that havent come to pass. So is the Felon, Porter Stansbury.
If you want to read intelligent analysis of the possibilty of severe deflation, read the latest from Harry Dent.
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The Wiedemer brothers have never tried to sell me anything.

When I watched his video it offers a free copy of his book, but if you click the link to get the copy, it will request your billing information and subscribe you to three magazines which are not free.

I haven't read his book, but this review on Amazon reinforced my opinion of him.
http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Wiedemer-Author-Spitzer-Aftershock/product-reviews/B0036EB3JE
"Let me save you the $13 that I wasted on this fraudulent and deceptive book:
This book is a scam.
It only serves two purposes:
1. To purchase more investment products from the authors on their website. They interrupt the book every 2 chapters to insert a half-page ad for their investment services.
2. To convince you to buy gold through the highly dishonorable and fraudulent sources that they recommend, probably because they get a kickback for referring you. For example, their book refers you to a page on their website that highly recommends buying gold through a gold depository company called Monex in Newport Beach (California), yet this company has stolen millions of dollars from its customers, is rated D- by the Better Business Bureau, and is the subject of countless lawsuits!! Go ahead and do a Google search yourself for "Monex Fraud" and you will see that I am telling the truth. They also have similar recommendations about deceptive gold ETFs who are the subject of fraudulent investigations, and they even lie themselves in the book by saying that if you invest in an ETF, you can request the gold to be shipped to you. This is not true... ETFs never have and never will ship gold directly to the public. Why in the world would these authors be pushing people towards all these fraudulent companies??
There are many other problems in this book as well, including links to third-party web pages that have never existed, and questionable "facts" about past events. These authors love to twist past events into tales that nicely fit their book's premise.
Be very careful about believing anything that is said in this book... This book may lead you down the path the financial destruction sooner than they predict, and it will all be because of them trying to make a quick buck for themselves."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 24 of 45

Jump to: