myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gloves/Mittens/Wetsuits/Drysuits for winter sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaterKook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so after watching the video. only one guy has a hood on. Sorry but if you can sail without a hood you do not need a hand warming system like that. Not trying to be negative. I like the idea but if you can sail hoodless you don't need gloves.
ISmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the water is not yet cold enough to cause head shock most of us do not bother wearing hoods, if you fall in your head does recover even though the air can be well below 10°. If the air is below 10╣c however bare hands only stay comfortable for short periods of time and you then have to take pit stops to blow them with your breath back to comfort.
Iain
rigitrite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis0778 wrote:
rigitrite wrote:
Sealskinz; they work and they don't make your arms tired. You gotta figure out a way to minimize water getting into the cuff, so I tuck em inside my wetsuit sleve cuff and that seems to work pretty well.

http://www.sealskinz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=61

rigit,
Where do you buy these gloves?

thanks.

Try Amazon.com I think that's where I got mine.

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimming, because the wind or your gear breaks, can be dangerous in chilly water with no hood. At 50/50F (10/10C) my bare hands (and feet) can be just fine, but bare head/neck immersion for more than a minute or two can lead to dizziness, then hypothermia. Yet a neoprene hood can be too warm some days like that. My compromise/transition solution is a fleece hood.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutele right isobars. you lose a great deal of heat through your head if uncovered. Beter safe than sorry. I wear a hood whenever in doubt, If you don't need it, pull it off your head, but leave it around your neck. Sometimes if your hands or feet are getting cold, covering your head makes all the difference. I like your layering idea also.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
If you don't need it, pull it off your head, but leave it around your neck. Sometimes if your hands or feet are getting cold, covering your head makes all the difference. I like your layering idea also.

Agree, It is very often when I have to pull it back and forth several times during a session. I would rather have it pulled off back than be sorry for not having it at all.

Andrei.
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too- if you don't need a hood, you don't need gloves.. ALSO- if your core is really warm- i.e. a drysuit- then excess heat will keep your hands warm longer- so the head cover is important for your hands- which is also why I like the Bare drysuit- I'm so warm that with a hood I can sail much longer and my hands do fine- if you are at minimal temp core wise then your body shuts down blood flow to the extremities first ,hence cold hands- conversely, if you have excess heat- with a good suit and hood, your body will increase flow to the extremities to shed heat- therefore warm hands.. hands are the last thing to cover- then with mitts with the palms cut out, mainly to keep the wind off the tops- but not sacrificing the grip.. happy cold weather sailing!
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was intrigued by Ian's idea about the tubing, so I followed his suggestion and tried it out today. I worked very well! Should have tried this earlier, maybe Santa would have brought me an Ianovated suit, but too late now Sad
Full report on my blog at boardsurfr.blogspot.com
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Dakine mitts and tried them out yesterday. They have very thin material from fingertips and covering the the entire palm. Much better than any glove I tried. Air temp was 45 and my hands stayed nice and warm for 2 hours. A bit clumsy, would not think they would be good for wave sailing. Overall I am very happy with them. The forearms do not tire quickly as with gloves.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to try my Ianovated wetsuit in cold weather (39º F on Sunday). It worked great and kept me very warm. Full report with video at http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/2012/12/no-more-cold-hands-ianovated-wetsuit.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: