myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Endurance training for windsurfing (running, in particular)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said LeeD. Not wanting to get all philosophical but dollops of magical moments can still fall on us oldies, without the need to take things to extremes. Had one such today.

Arctic air mass freeze up for us at present, with snow and ice on high ground, but clear sunny skies. Mountain bike again on moor tops. Totally captivated by that symphony of crackling and crunching as the knobbly tyres carved wiggly lines in the crispy icy but grippy snow surface, while banking and zig-zagging around glassy ice stretches. Reminded me of a favourite board carving a swelly sea - a mixture of technique and effort. Never fell, and never out of breath. Why the need to go to extremes!

In some ways it's satisfying reaching a later stage in life. It's no longer necessary to prove anything, either to others, or to yourself. Of course we need to work to keep 'at it', but entirely on our own terms. And that notion I like!
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Taking it easy but still enjoying the thrill! Reply with quote

I agree with Lee D and Gurgletrousers....Folk our age have earned the right to not push it to the limits,,,,enjoy the sports available, at a level that is challenging, still fun, but operating at a level with lower risk of injury.

Is that not what 'wisdom' is all about?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
ENJOY my elder years, taking it easy and sitting back a bit.
... Modern freestyle, I don't know. ... everyone get's better, peaks, and get's worse. No need to compete head to head with 27 year olds anymore.

"Taking it easy" bores me, and the only guy I'm competing with is 69 years old, but I hear you on the freestyle. I don't have enough years left in me to waste any of it "practicing" tricks, but I hope I don't feel compelled to "take it easy" on the water for another several years. Right now, any time I get bored while hooked in (or in the gym), I consciously tell myself, truthfully, that it's my fault. At that point I correct the situation by pushing my envelope harder, rigging bigger, or both. I ain't out there (or in the gym) to lollygag; I'll have way too much time for that when I get old.

I just hope my new doc doesn't advise otherwise.

Yes, that 69-yo dude I always compete with is losing some skills but he's improving in some others, so there are some tradeoffs.

Yeah, wisdom matters, but I try to apply it to the conditions I'll sail in rather than to the level of effort I put out. I Just Said No to today's local ... loco? ... winds averaging 6 mph with gusts >40, for example, and I eat or nap or clean my dentures or comb my ear hair when it's averaging 40 and gusting to 60 (that injury thing windward1 mentions; even my kevlar vest can't protect my knees). But when harnessed in, if my heart rate isn't up towards its maximum, I'm either not trying hard enough, backing off to catch my breath, or heading upwind to be somewhere else. If I were out there or in the gym to relax, I'd never have paid any attention to that opening post medical study.
LeeD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good we all get to make our own choices.
I'm kinda burned out on all that high performance stuff, so will relax and enjoy the benefits of a lifetime of doing only sports.
Love it when my friends get excited over the new "carveing" boards, the skateboards, and we've done the 12" wheels to clay wheels thing over and over before.
Kinda like getting excited over the new short mast, longer boom sails. How many times can we go down that road? And stay interested.
Little is new in the windsurfing world that I need to stay atop of. Triple forewards and loops are beyond my realities.
BTW, I"m in the credits of SurfingCalifornia and Windfinder, so I"ve spent my years exploring a bit....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: