myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Booties
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did tend to get sore big toes from my old booties, so I am hesitant to get anything tight. Those Atans look great though, and awesome reviews, I might have to pick up a pair of those in the spring
scargo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a pair of Atan latex booties hard for almost two years, and they're still going strong.
I do want to try VFFs, though -- like the idea of putting em on at home, never having to change in & out of booties.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rigitriteI don't disagree about the Ninja/split-toe boots, however, if you're like me and have big toes....or other toes that are suseptible to getting ingrown toenails and otherwise getting beat-up by rocks on the bottom or jamming them in the straps, then steer well wide of these boots. I really need the extra room and protection that a full boot gives you. I use the O'Neill 3 mil boots and they work just fine. This is a pretty specific complaint though, and for most people, the split-toe boots are just fine.[/quote]

Rigit,
I had the same problem with the toes on the split-toe booties, but now I wear a size 8 on my right foot (my normal size) and a size 9 on my left foot as I need more room in the big toe on that foot. That toe was crushed once and ended a fair bit wider than it was. Works great, just have to buy two pairs to get one pair to use.

as for the VFF, I think they look interesting, but I personally couldn't even get one on as my second and third toes are "twin" toes and have skin between them up to the toenails. Can I sue them for discriminating against people like me? Maybe for a couple new boards? Very Happy

just my 2cents.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my experience with VFF's: The Flow is indeed the best VFF for water sports if they make your size and if you can get your toes in them. (The neoprene makes the toes tighter than on other VFF's.) Second choice would be the KSO: http://www.rei.com/product/798240/vibram-fivefingers-kso-multisport-shoes-mens. Both models have the razor-siped sole which provides amazing grip on ramps, rocks and boards. Check sizing info on the REI site; fit is by length, not shoe size, although women's sizes run shorter and narrower than men's. Some larger REI stores carry a pretty good stock.
Advantages: 1 the aforementioned grip. 2 a cushy heel (sort of an Exocet effect.)
Disadvantages: 1They make your foot really really wide in the straps. 2 The price, of course, but relative to other gear it's a personal choice.
As for wear, I don't know yet.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll cast my vote for Atans. After wearing Oneill split toe for 15+ years I've been blessed with a set of bunyans! Between that and having wide, flat feet, the super stretchy Atans are wonderful for my weird shaped feet. It's the next best thing to bare feet.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 5 fingers but people have different length toes, I have what's called Egyptian feet, the big toe is prominent and all the other toes smaller in descending order. So to fit the five fingers I have to wear a size too gig to fit my big toe and all my other toes are then swimming in the boot.
Other people have "peasants" foot which is rather even and club like or "Morton's toe" where the second toe is prominent.
Here a guy heated up the toe and stretched it out to accommodate his foot.
http://birthdayshoes.com/got-morton-s-toe-lengthen-your-vibram-five-fingers-second-toe-with-this-mod
3-phase

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atan excellent quality fit and form and I think the best foot feel on the board like they say its feel like barefoot.

www.windsurfdeal.com has them on stock most of the time.

Aloha
Jurg
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been wearing Billabong round toe booties the last 150 days in Berkeley area. No problems whatsoever yet. They're narrower than Oneill's, and don't pinch my toes with my narrow size 11 feet.
danglerdog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: atans Reply with quote

Atans hang up in the straps. the latex is so grippy I have to pre release from the strap. Love the feel, tho, and wear em kiting.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about spraying a lubricant like McLube or Boesheld on the top of the booties? THE primary reason I fear booties is the penalty of a "fake" pre-release, which becomes painfully obvious when our back knee lights up in a simple jibe. One serious incident of that and our season, conceivably our WSing career, is over. With only two exceptions in all these years, the closest I've come to destroying a knee has been booties hung up in the back strap. Those exceptions DID permanently injure my knees when BARE feet got stuck in a strap. Loaded knees are not designed to rotate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: