myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kanaha Maui - More shark activity
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.7_Maui

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Kanaha Maui - More shark activity Reply with quote

Location Maui Kanaha - main launch for uppers approx 30' from shore. Time 3:30pm -sunny and clear water. Due to east wind there was no wind from the shore out about 50 yards most of the time.

I was comming back to shore powered on a 4.2 - hit the wind line and dropped like a rock in to the water about 50 yards form shore. The water was glassy - no wind at all. Started swimming my gear in. When I was within 30 yards from shore I noticed a large crowd gathered on the beach right in front of me - most of them looking and pointing to the water in my general area. People were clearly yelling to me and the guy right behind me, I was not sure at first what was going on but my monkey brain flow chart finally got to "shark?" I got my feet out of the water so only my ass is dragging - the crowd is now yelling a lot louder as if a huge fin was racing for us - I kept looking but could not see anything. It seemed surreal - like being on movie set filming a mock shark attack. A paddle boarder was attacked down the shore less than a week ago, so it was fresh in my head - he used his paddle to fight off a 8' tiger shark. Finally after a long time drifting a breeze kicked in, I rode it all the way in and so did the guy behind me. The people on the beach were watching a 8 to 12 shark most likely tiger eating a turtle in the are we were drifting to. Thanks to the breeze we were able to come in to the beach higher upwind around the shark. Yea I know sharks are always there - I spend a ton of time in the ocean most of my life - but when sightings go up it is time to exercise a bit of caution

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/566233/Shark-attack-on-turtle-closes-part-of-Kanaha-Beach-Park.html?nav=10

Aloha
cbknap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kanaha Maui - More shark activity Reply with quote

Quote:

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/566233/Shark-attack-on-turtle-closes-part-of-Kanaha-Beach-Park.html?nav=10

The most amazing part of this story:

"The sea turtle remained alive"
cbknap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and as long as we are discussing Big Biter Fish, an apparent Great White took a surfer yesterday at Vandenburg, just north of Santa Barbara. Beach is known to be sharky; there was another fatality there last year.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/10/experts-to-examine-surfboard-of-surfer-killed-in-shark-attack.html
3.7_Maui

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Pictures of Shark Reply with quote

Some people got some photos of the shark. There is also some video from people camera phones but have not seen anything yet. I read up on this fish, an adult which this was at this size- is on average 850 to 1,400 pounds with a lot more pounds per centimeter of biting power than a great white, these things eat giant sea turtles like we eat cookies. Although they hunt for the dead or dying - the turtle that was attacked had that disease where it had those big white tumors all over the shell - so the fish was just thinning the weakest in the herd. Hey, this fish is supposed to be out at dawn, night, dusk - not mid day! Funny how we go out so far off shore on the outer reefs and never see anything - then come back into the shallows to find this big fishy lurking around,

http://mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/566263/Preying-on-sea-turtle--paddle-board.html?nav=10
3.7_Maui

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: More Shark Activity - women bitten at Makena Reply with quote

Her goes another one - I had heard of tiger shark sightings at Makena the same day the tiger shark was spotted at Kanaha. Odd that the time of day for the Makena attack is the same as the sighting at Kanaha since these are not usually feeding at mid day. Seems to be same size - most likely a tiger shark - attack was close to shore again.

http://mauinow.com/2012/10/28/california-woman-injured-in-shark-attack-at-makena-landing/
bjamin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last shark fatality in all of HI was in 2004 (S-turns Maui). About one or two folks get nipped on HI every year, usually not seriously (as in the case of the woman at Makena). It's clear that the local sharks are not going out of their way to eat people (we just sometimes get in their way). You're far more likely to be killed or seriously injured by your neighbor's bit bull (or other big dog) while walking down the street here. That said I've lost a bit of my appetite for surfing lowers (the long paddle and usually murky water doesn't help). But I'm not much concerned about windsurfing Kanaha - with the great multitude of windsurfers and kiters buzzing everywhere, a shark would be pretty stupid to look for their usual meal there, they much prefer uncrowded waters.
victor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think anyone wants to be "nipped" by anything.

as if a wayward shark or two wasn't enough what turned out to be a small tsunami hit kanaha on saturday night.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/business/businessnews/20121030_Tsunami_scare_leaves_businesses_unscathed.html?id=176368921
bjamin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>i don't think anyone wants to be "nipped" by anything.

Right, but to totally avoid all chances of nipping, best option is to stay in bed every day. If you go in ocean at least on Maui, nipping by a shark is an extremely remote possibility. Driving to the beach (or your job, or the store) is far more dangerous.

>>what turned out to be a small tsunami hit kanaha
Pretty much zero impact. A log we like to sit on was moved back about 10 ft by the high tide.
3.7_Maui

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Tiger Sharks gone wild Reply with quote

Weir stuff happening:

Afew weeks after the tiger shark incident I was getting ready to launch from uppers, i paused for an extra five minutes on the beach to slowly survey for any signs of danger since I dodged an incident a few weeks ago with a big ass tiger shark between the beach and me stranded in the water when the wind died. A tiger shark was spotted in the same exact area, the lifeguard was busy on the jet ski looking for it and corralling all the ocean users in the general vicinity. Once again the trend is warning us that the worst may not be over with yet, several more Tiger shark attacks have happened although not at the Kanaha launch since I wrote my first caution warning - so heads up since this behavior is really abnormal.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/20237212/explanation-for-maui-shark-attack-eludes-experts
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Unexplained Changes Reply with quote

3.7_Maui wrote "uppers lunch"....joining the side of the tigers. are you? Laughing Oh.....I see you retracted that post......

Well, I see a pattern here:
* Orcas off of Alaska and British Columbia have added Alaskan Sea Otters to their menu.
* Great White Sharks off of California have added California Sea Otters to their menu.
* Maui Tiger Sharks have added human folk to their menu. At least for appetizers.

The world changes........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: