myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Only in Texas?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Only in Texas? Reply with quote

We certainly need another shrine to the virtues of the Confederacy. From this week in crazy:

Quote:
5. Texas Sons of Confederate Veterans

This week marks the 150th anniversary of the surrender of General Robert E. Lee’s forces at the Appomattox Courthouse, which brought four bloody years of civil war to a close. But it also kicked off 150 years of a willfully ignorant campaign to rewrite the history of the Confederacy and reclaim her flag as a symbol of liberty, state sovereignty, and righteous rebellion. And not, you know, the enslavement of humans.

The latest battle in this ongoing slog to whitewash the Old South’s record is being fought in Orange, Texas, where a $50,000 memorial to the Confederacy sits atop a tiny scrap of privately owned land in the shadow of I-10. It is here that the Texas Sons of Confederate Veterans plan to raise 32 stars-‘n’-bars flags at a Confederacy memorial. Oh, yes. The memorial is on Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look! behind that tree, a racist!
This is getting tiresome.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOK! A racist TREE!
It got tiresome years ago, like the first time Wardog tried it on me in the mid-90s.

Ever hear of racist sleep apnea? Al Sharpton is Patient Zero. Its symptom is waking up abruptly every couple of minutes all night long shouting, "Racist!".
All it means now is that he's awake. The only treatments tried so far are overlooking felonious tax evasion and overexposure to the White House.
Both have failed.

I hear it's contagious only by intimate contact and only among far left radical demagogues. Even if the disease is cured, its impact on one's credibility is irreversible.
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love that it's on Martin Luther King Drive. Must really drive those guys nuts.

Oh, and yes, and of course they're racists or they wouldn't, as the article points out, be celebrating the defense of the most horrible crime this country has comitted, 400 years of brutal subjugation of fellow humans.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 years! Another history major?
mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to wonder about the postings here. I have never seen a single posting from a "conservative" critical of the clear elements of ongoing racism that are posted here. Instead we get claims that Obama and Holder are the real racists, complaints that it is tiresome, and snarky comments about history.

I agree, racism is tiresome. So are diversions, like mrgybe's. The first slaves were brought to the US in 1619, and the Emancipation proclamation was in 1863--so slavery only lasted 244 years. However, segregation lasted, legally sanctioned, until 1954, and segregated schools continue in the south to this day. I guess that is only 396 years, an egregious exaggeration eh?

Such an incisive contribution from the Archbishop of Northern Alabama.
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I knew I'd get this for throwing that out as a generality, so let me correct it

African slaves have been used by Europeans in what is now the United States since at least 1526. So, let me change the 400 to 337. Yes, I know it wasn't a nation at that time, but the slave trade was in full swing at the time of the founding, and it remained so. I think there's a responsibility to the history of the issue as part of American legacy.

And, I guess you think that a gotcha means you don't have to address the core issue of my comment.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some liberals will twist and turn in order to cast this country in the worst possible light. Two examples above. We are now responsible for every bad thing that occurred before this country rejected its colonial masters and formed a new nation? Slavery has long since gone no matter how hard a few here try to resurrect it by scouring the web for examples of behavior that is not reflective of the overwhelming majority of US citizens.
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some conservatives will twist and turn to avoid facing the real issues.

Slavery is gone, but its legacy absolutely remains. It is a shameful part of American history, and its impacts need to be adressed head on, not avoided by making excuses about it being a long time ago or that "my family wasn't involved". We're all part of the past, present, and future of this country, and I, for one, will do my best to keep that in mind.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe, slavery as a legal system in the US might be gone, but that doesn't change the view that many have of blacks, particularly in the south. I don't know if you have spent any time in mid-state Alabama (the Baptist Bible belt) in your time as an American, but to think that significant prejudice against blacks doesn't exist today in this country is a fool.

It's ironic that Christianity hasn't changed the hate that still lives on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: