myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind this week.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windmaddness

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Wind this week. Reply with quote

A series of fronts are going to hit the Bay Area Wednesday through Sunday. Wind speed in the 20-30mph, air temperature in the 60's, rain on and off...

South wind Spots:
Half Moon Bay, San Leandro, Alameda, Berkeley Marina, Point Isabel, Larkspur, Ocean Beach and even Sherman Isl.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: It would be nice if they could get the sensors back on line Reply with quote

It would be nice if they could get the sensors back on line
And keep them online for more than a day at a time.
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: San Leandro- morning flood and south winds Reply with quote

Anybody going to try San Leandro in the morning if it happens. I guess very few sail there. I would like to try something other than HMB harbor, although that's a relatively safe spot. But I miss Bay swell, and I guess maybe a south Bay flood on a south wind is like an ebb if that makes sense. Anybody ever hit Alameda mythical dtl "wavesailing" on a south wind? Comments?
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alameda's wind chop can reach 1.5', but since the wind is behind it, you don't get to enjoy it much.
Biggest swell in the Bay during S winds is usually Larkspur, at the E SanQuintin launch.
Some day Candlestick, but I haven't sailed there recently, so wouldn't know.
Bigger fetch is usually good for longer period taller swells.
Maybe Bullhead or Grasso's point.
windmaddness

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how messy it will get in the morning, Amaleda is a great spot on Southerly if the pouring comes a lil late i might head there around 9:30.
carl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oyster Point is very nice launch with good swell on south wind.
The reach is parrallel to the fishing pier straight out into the bay.
Just stay well upwind of the pier on an ebb though. If the wind dies
the harbor side of the pier is a difficult spot to land on an ebb
due to a strange current there.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lee D that there is no DTL at Alameda. It's dead on-shore to the "wave," which is really just windswell. The best I ever caught it was the Monday following the Loma Prieta earthquake in '89. Lots of wind and I was able to sail right up and under the Oakland side of the Bay Bridge and survey the damage myself. The Chronicle's headline the following day after that hellish commute was 'We Made It.'

As far as swell or waves in south wind might I suggest:
1. Puttering out the harbor mouth at Half Moon Bay to experience real ocean swell - always exciting and very sketchy. If the wind dies and it does real quick on storm winds, you might find yourself washed up on the outside of the breakwater and lose everything, including your life. I've done it more than once, but every time I do, I promise myself never again. Then the harbor gets boring and I start gazing out of the harbor entrance...
2. Pescadero - Side off true DTL port tack (goofy foot) riding. Don't go out if its over shoulder high. Watch out for the submerged rocks at the south end of the beach and the sandbar in the same area. Lot of fast moving shallow water. If you get wrapped up in our gear there, you can get hurt.
3. Linda Mar. Port tack - goofy foot DTL. Again don't go if its overhead. Almost dead off-shore wind. Avoid surfers! Rain can help clear them out. If you sense it dying, get your ass back to shore, as you will be blown out to sea.

I have heard tails of awesome Oyster Point swell, but have never managed to get over there on the right conditions.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of spots to sail on S winds, but most are lonely and take some previous experience at each spot.
HMB, outside the harbor, is always fully backwashed, and duffers like IanBoyd or JeffClark (he USED to windsurf pretty well) do it twice, never again.
Oyster, Haskins, and Stick get the same big swells, but you can't be washed downwind by dying winds or tide, and expect a good time.
LindaMar is always super holey gusty, even on the N end. AaronWright and I used to sail there on S winds, always having a hard time. Periods of up to 3 minutes of less than 5, followed by periods over 25. It's offshore there, wind coming from the valley, NOT from the true S, where it could have been good. It does get real S winds on LIGHT southerly days, usually spring or fall.
Most of the oldtimers sailed Pomponio or SanGregorio instead of Pescadero, same with the good surfers who frequent the area. Pesca has the strongest currents.
Cronk gets very good on medium S winds, but a little backwash can have you digging rails on bottom turns, don't get pushed N.
Limantour and Stinson are both very good, and totally lonely.
Lots of guys used to sail Bodega at the Doran launch, end of the road for real open ocean swells, small shorepound launch and landing, but very lonely.
Larkspur normally has the highest winds.
windward1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerritt wrote:

"1. Puttering out the harbor mouth at Half Moon Bay to experience real ocean swell - always exciting and very sketchy. If the wind dies and it does real quick on storm winds, you might find yourself washed up on the outside of the breakwater and lose everything, including your life. I've done it more than once, but every time I do, I promise myself never again. "

Wow! That is amazing, Gerritt! You have lost your life more than once???

That has got to be some kind of record!!! Laughing
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read my post after posting and realized my grammatical error. Alas, too late for revision. I figured the grammar police would be coming after me. Hopefully, I can get off with a warning.

If windsurfing does eventually take my life, I won't mind that much. Its given me more than a lifetime's worth of adventure. Last Sunday was one of those kind of days that keeps me hungry -- and alive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: