myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Powerbox fin fit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Powerbox fin fit Reply with quote

So happened that I had to kiss goodbye to my fin after a tack over rocks. Got a replacement fin: freeride 40 cm (powerbox). When I insert it and tighten the screw, fin's base levels out with the board surface nicely behind the fin. But in the front of the fin it sinks about 1.5-2 mm below the surface. Is it normal and better be ignored? Or should it be propped a bit by placing narrow piece of plastic between the base and the box? I guess it would create some gaps along the base.
Thanks!

Andrei.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrestling with the same thing only the opposite problem. Go a new board and the powerbox fin it came with doesn't seem to fit all the way, leaving about a milimeter sticking out of the finbox.

Not sure how much difference it makes but think it would be more prone to spind outs with the base sticking out a milimeter or so.

Ugly Bird, since you have the opposite problem, you may want to try Sail Tape to add to the thickness of the base, that's worked well for me.

Anyone have any solution for my problem? Sanding the fin/box?

DC
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcharlton wrote:

Sanding the fin/box?
DC

Found interesting discussion regarding both problems.
http://www.sporttaco.com/rec.windsurfing/suggestions_on_making_a_fin_fit_correctly_4023.html
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately for you, you've got the better result, a fin base that is slightly below the surface of the board. I have many Tuttle fins, and a few of them yield the same result that you've got. One of my favorite fins with this result, a 34cm Tectonics Goldwing that I have been using for over 12 years on a number of different boards, has never posed a problem. In fact, it performs better than many other fins that I have that fit perfectly, but that is most likely attributed to the fact that Goldwings are really great fins.

So, unless you feel the need to achieve a perfect fit, I would recommend not reworking the base.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too deep fin is better than one sticking out. Sticking out spins out.
Use packing tape, the clear stuff. Add it to the base of your fin, stick it in, and see how much more or less you need for a flush fit.
spennie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin slightly down shouldn't create any problems, fin sticking up is bad. A good way to make a fat fin fit is to glue a piece of coarse sandpaper (60 or 80 grit) to a piece of plywood about 3-4 inches wide using spray adhesive, then use that to sand it down, A FEW STROKES AT A TIME!! Keep checking it often to make sure you don't go over. Rarely, a Powerbox fin base will be a little too long, so keep an eye on the front & back as well.

If your fin is inset and it bugs you, apply a thin skim coat of epoxy or Bondo on the base with a single-edge razor blade, then sand to fit after it dries using the method above. The tape fix works, but it has a tendency to start bunching up & move around after a few uses, a minor PITA.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a shit load of fins, when I get a new one that fits nicely I am as happy as a senior on prom night.

I don't routinely have fit problems with powerbox, USBox different chapter.

If its too big , I sand, normally with a electric finish sander, if too small I add some epoxy then sand to fit, it lopsided I make it fit.

I want it to fit as perfect as can be.

I would not lose sleep over 1mm

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
mark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a possibility that you cracked the fin box when you hit the rocks. I would first put the old fin back in to make sure it still has the same fit as before.

Also you mentioned that only the front of the fin is recessed so I will assume the back is flush. To check if the front of the fin is actually thinner than the back install the fin backwards and see if the recess moves to the back of the of the box.

Power box fins can sometimes go in a little bit crooked. Loosen the screw about 1/2 turn. Then lightly tap the front edge near the bottom with either a rubber mallet or a small block of wood and a hammer. You may find that the front edge will come up a little bit and the back will go down. Once it is straight then tighten the screw.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:
There is a possibility that you cracked the fin box when you hit the rocks. I would first put the old fin back in to make sure it still has the same fit as before.

Also you mentioned that only the front of the fin is recessed so I will assume the back is flush. To check if the front of the fin is actually thinner than the back install the fin backwards and see if the recess moves to the back of the of the box.

Power box fins can sometimes go in a little bit crooked. Loosen the screw about 1/2 turn. Then lightly tap the front edge near the bottom with either a rubber mallet or a small block of wood and a hammer. You may find that the front edge will come up a little bit and the back will go down. Once it is straight then tighten the screw.

good suggestion to look for damage if he hasn't already

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:

The old fin is on the bottom of lake Sunapee Smile
Thanks for the suggestion. The fin box was the first thing I checked when noticed recessing front.

mark wrote:

THis is not possible. Power box base/root is not symmetrical.
Instead I inserted another powerbox fin (let's call it #2) and it is ideally flush. Remarkably, if I insert the new fin in board #2 was taken from, the base sticks about 3 mm both in front and back.

mark wrote:

Good suggestion too. I tried. When the screw tightens it pulls the front to recessed position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: