myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Ecstasy and the Agony
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any problem....shifting, braking, landing big jumps...
I raced out of SanFrancisco. There, we had maybe 5 experts, 2 intermediates, and 7-10 novices. We usually van pool or park near each other. I was the only Scott boot user, the other's saying they couldn't feel the levers or pegs.
Moto, you don't use the clutch to shift, only starts and stretching the low end of the powerband. Nothing like having a cast over my leg, protecting the protruding pins from harm, and knowing it triples the protection of a HiPoint boot with a steel shin plate.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best windsurfing advice I've received from physical therapists (treating me for surgerys on my shoulders, elbow injuries, and a knee ding) is "take frequent breaks". If I make a point of getting off the water every 20-30 minutes I feel much better the next day.

There's also proper workouts, yoga, getting your technique dialed in so you're relaxed on the water, but frequent breaks has been the best thing I've found.

dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like rigging a touch smaller so I don't need to take a break after 2 hours. Easier to jibe, lighter in feel, more fun to me, and giving up little in topspeed, but some in acceleration.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact toe bump. Pretty painful when I windsurfer. Had it removed and the foot is no longer an issue. Its was a six week recovery.
I also like to rig a bit smaller these days. Big enough to get going of course. Windsurfing over powered puts stress on all the body parts. Not to mention a bigger chance to going over the bars. Get out or rig a smaller and save the bones....
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Windsurfing over powered puts stress on all the body parts. Not to mention a bigger chance to going over the bars. Get out or rig a smaller and save the bones....

Now we're getting into undefined terms/semantics. One man's "overpowered" is often another's Nirvana. Many people very obviously regard being rigged to plane through most lulls as being OP'd, whereas others thrive in that mode and reserve the term "OP'd" for often having too much power to safely maneuver as desired, and still others don't feel OP'd until merely getting from A to B is risky. Then there are the racerheds who are not "OP'd" until they can't go a half mile without getting slammed hard enough to see stars. THEN there are the pro level speed sailors, who stuff cinder blocks in their jock straps and feel underrigged if they can stay upright for an entire half mile. (I'm guessing speed courses are ≤ a half mile long, or maybe 500 of them meter thingies max; shoot me if I'm wrong, but you get the point.)

I'm happiest, and last the longest, when I plane 100% of the time (not counting operator error) on one sail and the optimum board for that sail size and am never too OP'd to maneuver and jibe whenever and wherever I wish. We get many individual 2-3-hour sessions like that, but not many whole days, in a Gorge summer (damn near none this year). Those days are rare treasures, to be slashed to hell and back from dawn 'til pitch black without ever even loosening one's harness.
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree that being powered is way less work than slogging in the waves...
but I'd like to bring up another point to the whole pain discussion- being in the same temporal group as most of the responders, and having more than my share of surguries and injuries, 2 things save me- being active and diet.
I move all the time- I don't sit till it's evening and time to relax with a book... on my feet all day, my work is physical (and mental) just like me! I don't hit the gym, exercise infrequently- doing some yoga or taichi would loosen me a bit more- but moving in general is good. Then when I sail or paddle hard I'm not totally blown out- tired but not done for.
And diet- read the China Study- drop dairy, meat and sugar crap- you will feel the difference.. not here to preach, I just do what makes me feel good- I'm not obsessive about it- I do eat meat now and then, cheese very rarely, and sugar is tough- love dessert... but I went from congested constantly and inflamed joints all the time to no congestion and little inflamation... I almost never take advil or any pain reliever- yes beer is good- IPA preferably... and dark rum too.. Cheers- see you out there!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobbdogg wrote:
And diet- read the China Study- drop dairy, meat and sugar crap- you will feel the difference.. not here to preach, I just do what makes me feel good

There's no better venue for preaching than a bulletin forum such as this one, because everyone can pick and choose what interests them and ignore the rest.

I got halfway through the China Study, but quit when two obstacles to its credibility bothered me. One was the realization that the author is a rabid animal rights activist. I need to know which drives which, his medical constraints or his obsession with animal rights, before I buy his story. The second was a complete rebuttal as thorough, erudite, and documented as "China Study", written by a highly qualified nutritional scientist. My personal jury's still out. Sugar (including bread, potatoes, and pasta) I agree with, but the rest left me changing books, for better or worse.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overpowered, at Berkeley recently....
Me, 150 lbs monster, 100 liter board, 6.5 sail, gusts to 30, lulls around 20, and everyone my size having fun on 4.5's and 4.2's, while I get my one hour minimum sail in, before changing down to 4.7. One hour of that kind of wind with that kind of gear is plenty for anyone. That would equate to maybe 60 total jibes. Our reach at Berkeley is 2 miles, and powered up, I seldom go even 1/3 of that.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
gobbdogg wrote:
And diet- read the China Study- drop dairy, meat and sugar crap- you will feel the difference.. not here to preach, I just do what makes me feel good

There's no better venue for preaching than a bulletin forum such as this one, because everyone can pick and choose what interests them and ignore the rest.

I got halfway through the China Study, but quit when two obstacles to its credibility bothered me. One was the realization that the author is a rabid animal rights activist. I need to know which drives which, his medical constraints or his obsession with animal rights, before I buy his story. The second was a complete rebuttal as thorough, erudite, and documented as "China Study", written by a highly qualified nutritional scientist. My personal jury's still out. Sugar (including bread, potatoes, and pasta) I agree with, but the rest left me changing books, for better or worse.

I like the paleo diet the best, I feel great on it and everyone I know who does it long term looks like a superhero.
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying my choices should be anyone else's- the point I was trying to make (sorry that I didn't do it very well) is that often there are dietary triggers for individuals that cause inflamation. If you can narrow down what that trigger is and eliminate it, all the better- I've tried different ones over the years and found this best for me- the real tell is to go without for quite awhile, then re-introduce it and see if the symtoms return- with me dairy is so obvious I can't ignore it. And ultimately, if you can stop eating something, (or start eating something) that makes you feel better then that seems a no brainer to do- beats the hell out of eating painkillers- and believe me, I was a walking drug store in my youth, but now hate to have to take Advil or anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: