myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
bigger board and sail for WAVES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank4:

exocet X-Wave 111

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/xwave.php

not all FSW's are the same. i've been told to knock it off about this fact, but it's true. some FSW's are more free ride, freestyle, or wave. for that matter, some free ride boards wave sail better that some FSW's, so that whole category is very launch/design/personally specific. the exocet cross is pretty great in the waves, so is the fanatic freewave.

if you have side off all the time, then multi fins are fine. maybe sealions too. if you have a lot of onshore, perhaps you should try something that has more upwind power, and/or more top end speeds on tap.

gobbdogg:

X cross 115 are you asking about? i've only sailed the 130, it has a place in some folks lives.

starik333:

i've used the curve 10'5 and 11'5 with lots of success. i prefer them in single fin mode. the 11'5 has been a keeper for me for a long time. see my facebook john ingebritsen for a few shots of me in onshore conditions. it excels in offshore stuff too.

again, to say that multi fin boards are good/bad everywhere is a big falicy in comp. i know that i do not like them in most florida conditions. i haven't spent any time with them in places like maui, or the canaries. i might like them there too, but alas i'm stuck in a less than perfect place to windsurf.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if going from mid 90's to 105 is worth much.
Go to 125 FSW's, most are over 70 cm wide. Exact rocker depends on your requirements.
As for sail, you do the legwork.
Frank4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way will I go 125 liter, I tried a large FSW 120 liter about 70 cm wide and it was no good in waves, way too big for me.

My 93 liter rides small, real nice with 5.0 and even 4.7, so the jump to 105 and 63-64cm will be just right i think. I tried some FSW boards around 105 but all were too stiff for my taste. Wide tails with a large single fin.

It would seem a high volume multi fin would be a good fit. They have float, they say good upwind, good over powered, and loose.

Anyone out there in the Northeast using a higher volume multi fin in the ocean?
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to look at all those guys riding SUP's in the Florida surf.
I think you need to rethink your numbers. A gain of 10 liters is worth barely one MPH windspeed, then coupled with an additiona meter of sail, another ONE mph.
Move your backfoot, keep the front in the straps.
OTOH, you are correct since this thread is about your choices.
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think alot of fins can be good.
Depends on how deep you want your quiver to be., and how you want to ride.
Front foot/back foot.... early plane, deep driving bottom turn or back-breaking top turn.

We all want THAT board for THE day....Truth is on the East Coast, i have come close in the last 7 years, but still waiting for THE day......I'm quite happy with one fin for now. Prefer to agonize about where and when, not what

Alot of SUPs offering 5 fin setup options now....maybe WS should be the same.?

I was going down the multi road, and decided to spend my money on plane tickets.

World class wave champ posts his phone....I would not miss that option for free education.....Everyone above has valuable advice and it's going to come down to a personal choice......

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of fin is good, for looseness rail to rail, upwind planing, sliding off the top moves, low water beach starting and inside jibes, and a quick accelerate off each turn.
Downside is early planing in light winds.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify...
Mult fins have more drag non planing, so they take longer to plane.
To make up for that, the boards are usually slightly wider in the tail, to regain the early planing.
Wider tails require more pressure to turn, negating the effects of the multi fins somewhat.
I think we are talking lighter winds, aren't we?
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John I- asking because there is a used on Winddance- 2009 Exocet S- Cross 115.... but don't know much more. Decent light wind wave or no?
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[size=12][size=9][quote="Frank4"]No way will I go 125 liter, I tried a large FSW 120 liter about 70 cm wide and it was no good in waves, way too big for me.

My 93 liter rides small, real nice with 5.0 and even 4.7, so the jump to 105 and 63-64cm will be just right i think. I tried some FSW boards around 105 but all were too stiff for my taste. Wide tails with a large single fin.quote]
[/size][/size]

I agree with you and sit in the same boat, so without knowing you I am guessing we are around the same weight. The "Holy Grail" of all boards is the light wind, short wave board that works in onshore and side off conditions. The hunt is always on!
OES makes a 115L Quad but the feedback for early planing in onshore conditions is not out there.

The jump from 90 (59cm wide)-102(63cm wide) is what works for me in FL. I would kill to find the early planing wave board that can then slow down and tear up a pocket on the wave. Or at my 168 lbs set the rail and bottom turn with confidence. Heavier guys seem not to have as much problem.

Last edited by ctwindsurf on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
amarie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bigger board is a good idea. I was on my cheater board yesterday and I was really grateful to have it. I use it quite a bit, whenever we get a marginal day or I want a smaller sail size.

You won't relate to my stats on this because I'm a 120 lb rider, but the principle is the same. My big wave board is currently an 85L Fanatic Freewave. To minimize the number of overall boards, I choose my large board to cover both freestyle and lighter wave days. My only other board in the regular rotation is my 65L JP radical wave, for the medium to strong wave days and/or high wind chop. Sail range 2.5-5.7. I know your gear sizes will be different, but maybe a setup like this would work for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: