myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shark Attack at Davenport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonuslife wrote:
There's a small crack in the bottom of the board there and this is a new board as of May, so I notice every scratch.

I would definitely send it back for a warranty claim...

Glad to hear you are OK, Gunnar.

Why do I think the landing won't be any less crowded next time it blows?
bonuslife

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that occurred to me later that I'd like to mention. In my initial near panic, I started trying to detach the rig while treading water next to the board. When I realized that wasn't working, I got up on the board, straddling it like a surf board and was able to quickly detach it that way (with the universal bent at a right angle). It's something I just did in the moment without thinking about it, but what I realized the next day is that Matt Pritchard taught me that as a tangent when I took a lesson with him on Maui in April. I think I'd forgotten to loop the uphaul around the mast base, and he swapped gear with me and showed me that tip. I think I would have struggled in the water a lot longer before trying that had he not shown me that. So a big thank you to Matt for that!

BTW: Matt is an awesome windsurfing instructor. Besides learning that potentially life saving tip, my jibe and bottom turn improved immensely after two hours on the water with him.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been advocating sitting astride the board, bending the joint with your free hand, then pushing the pins with the other for 20 years.
Every says how tough it is to reattach a mast base that came off. I find it easy, and so does Mitsu, who disconnects everything in the water to adjust his downhaul.
MauiMakani

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Shark Attack at Davenport Reply with quote

hemmy007 wrote:

Interesting that the south reef is the only place in the world
where a WS has been attacked while slogging

Actually I have another slogging attack story, but this time from Maui. I was with a windsurfing student of mine who was an intermediate sailor, and we were about 200 yards outside the reef at Kanaha. My student had fallen on a jibe, and since there was a lull in the wind, he was not able to waterstart right away. I was balancing on my board hovering near him, when I noticed some splashing about 100 feet away. Since I sometimes see big manta rays out in that area, I slogged over to check it out. It turned out that it was a 10 foot tiger shark in a feeding frenzy with fish thrashing around like crazy. Luckily he was too busy to be aware of me or my student, until a gust of wind came, and my student started splashing in an unsuccessful attempt to get up. The shark immediately turned and started to beeline for my student. I have a rule about sharks eating my students, and that same gust gave me enough maneuvering speed to get between the shark and my student and basically block him. He turned away for about 30 feet, made a u-turn, and came back straight at me. At least I had accomplished my goal of distracting him from my student. With the gust gone, I was now basically just standing still. As he came at me, I thought that he was going to chomp on the rail, but at the last second he rolled his head sideways, and it looked like he was going after my fin as he hit the board. (I believe that one of their standard tactics is to bite the fins off of turtles.) He knocked the board about 4 feet backwards, and I was balancing on one foot but stayed upright. I turned around, hoping to keep the shark occupied and away from my student, but luckily another gust came along, and my student was up out of the water. He had been unaware of what was going on, since I did not want him to panic, so after he was up, I calmly suggested that we do a nice easy run all the way into the beach, at which point I told him of the excitement that he had missed.
So, point of the story, Davenport is not the only place in the world where a shark has attacked a slogging board; even if in this case, the board did come after him first.
motogon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Shark Attack at Davenport Reply with quote

MauiMakani wrote:
hemmy007 wrote:

Interesting that the south reef is the only place in the world
where a WS has been attacked while slogging

Actually I have another slogging attack story, but this time from Maui. I was with a windsurfing student of mine who was an intermediate sailor, and we were about 200 yards outside the reef at Kanaha. My student had fallen on a jibe, and since there was a lull in the wind, he was not able to waterstart right away. I was balancing on my board hovering near him, when I noticed some splashing about 100 feet away. Since I sometimes see big manta rays out in that area, I slogged over to check it out. It turned out that it was a 10 foot tiger shark in a feeding frenzy with fish thrashing around like crazy. Luckily he was too busy to be aware of me or my student, until a gust of wind came, and my student started splashing in an unsuccessful attempt to get up. The shark immediately turned and started to beeline for my student. I have a rule about sharks eating my students, and that same gust gave me enough maneuvering speed to get between the shark and my student and basically block him. He turned away for about 30 feet, made a u-turn, and came back straight at me. At least I had accomplished my goal of distracting him from my student. With the gust gone, I was now basically just standing still. As he came at me, I thought that he was going to chomp on the rail, but at the last second he rolled his head sideways, and it looked like he was going after my fin as he hit the board. (I believe that one of their standard tactics is to bite the fins off of turtles.) He knocked the board about 4 feet backwards, and I was balancing on one foot but stayed upright. I turned around, hoping to keep the shark occupied and away from my student, but luckily another gust came along, and my student was up out of the water. He had been unaware of what was going on, since I did not want him to panic, so after he was up, I calmly suggested that we do a nice easy run all the way into the beach, at which point I told him of the excitement that he had missed.
So, point of the story, Davenport is not the only place in the world where a shark has attacked a slogging board; even if in this case, the board did come after him first.

Nice story ... and timing is great ... just before coming Maui trip! Confused

dllee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to be informed than to go in like a virgin.
l_loperena8002

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story made Surfline and Surfers Village.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/_77465/
http://www.surfersvillage.com/surfing-news/58562#.UHz6EmesdBk
MrFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: yup, it's sharky Reply with quote

[quote="loopy"
i think i'm going to paint something like this to the bottom of my board. it may just work...
http://www.surfline.com/giftguide/productguide.cfm?product=5
(i hope).[/quote]

I'm not a shark, but if I was, I'd bite that pattern for sure.
SHREDX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you the same Gunnar that was at San Carlos last October? That was a fun week - remember N2672X?
bonuslife

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtoan wrote:
Are you the same Gunnar that was at San Carlos last October? That was a fun week - remember N2672X?

Yep, that's me. Amazing week. I actually have a photo of N2672X resting in its natural habitat. How's it going?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: