myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best Booms?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Best Booms? Reply with quote

Need one for wavesailing up to a 5.8.

I know some folks like Streamlined, but I'm not a fan of the front end. I've heard good things about the Maui Sails booms, including their front end. Any updates on Fiberspar and Chinook, and is HPL available anywhere/anymore? I used to like those until they changed the adjustment pins.
KBack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cant go wrong with any of the main companies... Really a boom is a boom...I've never heard any saying omg my session sucked all beacause of my boom..... some may have a little different front end and ajustment but seriously....clamp the thing on and go... its not like the 80's were you had to tie the thing on....
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tie on boom works just fine. It's lighter and often stiffer than most modern aluminum booms. You just gotta know HOW to tie it correctly.
But I agree, a boom is a boom. Having sailed short boards for 29 years, I've reduced myself with a boom for each size sail. My main sail size, from 5.5 thru 6.0, get's a 1993 Windsurfing Hawaii Gorilla Gold aluminum boom. I have carbon booms that sizing.
AND, for you flex freaks, it uses the Chinnook softy flex head, which is fine for me in 28 mph with a 5.8 or 6 meter sail. Any more, I can barely sail in a straight line, as I really can use 4.7's in that wind.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Maui Sails carbon boom (yes, I'm dealer), but I have access to other brands too. This one is my favorite because:

-I like the small grip... pretty much as small or smaller than anything out there
-I like the bend: I think it's the perfect width, not to narrow, not too wide... can still bag out a sail if you need to but still are close to the sail
-they're light and strong: prepreg monocoque construction, very low swing weight
-great front end: very strong, stiff, and easy to use. very reliable too, never have to worry about bolts or parts breaking

There is a 140-200 size that will fit most wave sail sizes (and it's on sale)

http://www.sunsetsailboards.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=91

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kevin. Yeah, saw that. Anyone not a dealer want to opine? Yes, I'm looking for carbon booms to replace my trusty old HPL booms which they stopped making.

How do that Maui Sails compare to the other ones - HPL, Chinook, Streamlined, etc...?

kevinkan wrote:
I really like the Maui Sails carbon boom (yes, I'm dealer), but I have access to other brands too. This one is my favorite because:

-I like the small grip... pretty much as small or smaller than anything out there
-I like the bend: I think it's the perfect width, not to narrow, not too wide... can still bag out a sail if you need to but still are close to the sail
-they're light and strong: prepreg monocoque construction, very low swing weight
-great front end: very strong, stiff, and easy to use. very reliable too, never have to worry about bolts or parts breaking

http://www.sunsetsailboards.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=91
sergio_k

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:

Kevin, unless I'm missing something in specs, grip on those is 30cm
and actually one of the largest among brands,
28-25 cm is usual grip range on other brands...
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, guys, is there anything new on this topic since we killed it one, three, six, nine, and 12 months ago? I've got two tip-top Gorge-sized carbons for sale, an HPL and a Maui Sails. If they don't sell locally (to save the hassle of packaging them) soon, I'll consider shipping them to a buyer. My forearm tendons like the squarer bend; it's that simple. Both of them are FAR, FAR stiffer than my pre-Pro-1 Chinooks with the rubber (or so they feel) Triple-Clamp heads.
broadreach70

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergio_k wrote:
kevinkan wrote:

Kevin, unless I'm missing something in specs, grip on those is 30cm
and actually one of the largest among brands,
28-25 cm is usual grip range on other brands...

I think It's mm not cm.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MauiSails booms I"ve seen around Berkeley are the smallest diameters I've seen from any of the companies.
The stiffness is nice, for sure. But, when I'm overpowered, I should be changing sail tuning and sizing, and possibly a too stiff boom would have me sailing around overpowered enough to eventually cause a huge catastrophic crash, where injury and destruction is possible.
I figure, Sat before, gusts of 34mph, me sailing around with a 5.7 at 150lbs. is just a recipe for disaster, one I don't plan to replicate too often.
B737

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use older Chinook aluminum and fiberspar carbon booms. I replaced my dated aluminum after it failed with a Maui carbon boom, it became addictive. I then had to then replace my smallest boom with Maui carbon, and add the monster 190-240 cm carbon Maui for my 8.5 Sail. I absolutely love that boom on that sail. They are so stiff. Ive seen the latest version in person and it looks like they addressed the 'too soft grip' problem. my boom grips are holding up well but im careful as i can be with them and they show some wear after only a season and a half. I'm really happy with the Maui booms.

That said... a friend of mine just purchased new aluminum Aeron Boom, its one piece aluminum construction felt just as stiff as my carbon boom, for 1/3 the price!! it sailed really nice!

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: