myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Frisco Woods Windfest, 2012
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Frisco Woods Windfest, 2012 Reply with quote

Hey Guys and Gals! We're starting to put our heads together regarding WindFest 2012... And would love your input about what you'd like to see at the event! There's a poll on the shop's facebook page- please take a look, make suggestions, and vote for anything that you'd be stoked to see.

We'd love to hear from you, even if you don't think you'd be able to make it to the event!

I'm not sure if you can vote if you don't have facebook, so feel free to make suggestions here, too.

Thanks in advance for your participation!

Click here, then scroll down or use the "Questions" tab on the left to see the poll!

http://wind-nc.com
KBack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS there a date set yet?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some folks travel great distances to sail flat water spots. the open ocean is just the surf zone away for some who live close but are intimidated by the waves. maybe my suggestion on facebook should have been "ocean sailing, how to deal with getting out through the surf." bumped into a guy that lives in wisconson yesterday. he has a major issue with getting thru the impact zone some days at his local lake michigan spot.

another friend lives on the beach, but drives 45 miles to sail at a flat water spot. seems as though we all ought to encourage people to sail in a larger variety of venues? isn't frisco woods just across a thin barrier island from the beach?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Official Dates yet, KBack, but tentatively April 26, 27, 28. That is definitely subject to change, so please don't quote me on it.

Hey John- We already have a huge event every year that is focused on getting newbies in to the ocean- The Hatteras Wave Jam, in the Fall. We were skunked this year due to the worst hurricane any of the old timers can remember, but it's usually an awesome event with lots of focused drive and proven success. I'd like to urge anyone with any inkling of interest in wave sailing to attend that event. http://www.obxwindfest.com/

WindFest has historically been more about getting together with friends, bombing around the sound, trying some new equipment, and generally just having a good time. It's more of a "Comfort Zone" event. I'm always game to spice things up a bit, though, which is why we created the poll on facebook. If enough people show interest in getting into the waves, or racing, or a freestyle competition, or whatever.... then maybe we'll go ahead and add those facets to the program!

Thanks for your input, everyone! Keep it coming!!

http://wind-nc.com
RickCronk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hodad, I believe that JI makes a good point. Windfest could be the foundation of other activities that branch out from Frisco Woods. An instructional session on the ocean side could bring ocean sailing into people's comfort zone. Depending on wind strength and directions, how about downwinders ending at Frisco Woods, or a "guided" run out to the "reef".

As far as demos go, the past few Windfest's that I have attended have not had many reps present to offer the participants a wide enough selection of demo gear, or gear to match the conditions present.

Windfest has become very beginner or novice oriented. I don't believe there are that many beginners coming to the OBX in April. However, there are lots of intermediates and advanced sailors who are looking for opportunities to bust through to the next level.

It is great to hear that folks are interested in keeping Hatteras Windfest alive and hopefully prospering. Good luck, I'll be seeing you in the spring.
btbill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone game for bringing back Hatteras Loop Fest during Spring 2012? Perhaps for some "spice" to coincide with WindFest, a return of the loop contest would be cool!?!

Of course, perhaps some killer prize for the first newcomer to successfully rotate! Very Happy
KBack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, Bill

I like the idea of having something like wind fest April and spread thing out..… Most windsurfers who come down to Hatteras in the month of April already have there place booked for the week and in allot of cases two weeks. They rent a house with a group of 6 to as many as 12 sailors per house…. My biggest complaint when down there is that there is not much to do for entertainment once the sun goes down and the wind dies….There are enough shops in Hatteras and windsurfers during the month to hold something like a Wednesday night party… each shop host a night….maybe hold clinic, music, windsurf videos, raffles 50/50, have deals on clothing gear or whatever...we are down there to spend money but if there is nothing is going on we can’t…then one day during that week weather permitting of course….have a Loopfest or freestyle event, a race…or head to the reef…. ..It would be nice to have something to bring people from all over together and share the stoke, even if it just for night out of the week…. Just an idea…..
btbill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea KBack, that is a great idea and a formula that works as has been/is done for Hatteras Wave Jam week. Basically have something going on every night related to the event and bring people together to have a good time.

Though, my focus will be Hatteras Wave Jam for 2012, I am sure that WindFest week could be complemented by some nightly activities hosted by participating shops ranging from parties/raffles, movie premiers, to clinics. As you noted, folks are down there, and looking for something to do, even if you are staying in a killer pad.

All in all, it will be a great week this Spring both on the water and potentially off!?!

PS: The American Windsurfing Tour 2012, Hatteras Wave Jam is scheduled for Sept 19 - 22, 2012!! More to come! Very Happy Very Happy
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would the wave jam hold some sort of comp for light wind days? my kona, now called curve, 11'5 would be ready for some action if that's the case. having a wave comp. with no wind minimums would help boost the participation?
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
btbill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep definitely, its in the "contingency" plan!

During Hatteras Wave Jam, if the wind is light and the surf is fun, we will be on SUPs with sails. I actually would not mind some competitive action riding the SeaLion! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: