myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
dry suit vs steamer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StillSailin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: dry suit vs steamer Reply with quote

Getting the itch to sail. Usually go to Stevenson.Half way considering going out before things warm up. Would appreciate any recommends on a dry suit vs wet suit and also booties and gloves. As much as I far prefer sailing barefoot I Need some serious booties. Price enters in but not if it means I'm not comfortable enough to sail. Thanks for any help
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed to a drysuit last year and love it. A big difference is if you like to do multiple sessions. Your body warmth will stay in a drysuit in a wet suit you keep loosing body warmth as long as you are in the suit.

As to booties I like the Oneil split toe. It gives a better feel to the board. But gloves are another issue. I have them but prefer not to wear them.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: dry suit vs steamer Reply with quote

I'm fond of Drysuits, been sailing my Kokatat here in Utah this
month, with water in the low 40s. But, I prefer a neo Drysuit if
there's potential to need a fast swim, I have a ProMotion Neo drysuit
for the Gorge in Spring and Fall. When it comes to cold, I am a wuss,
I have friends who ride steamers into very cold conditions, but they never
look as happy as I do on the beach in a windy cold environment.

I'm also fond of the O'Neil high top split toe booties, and I've never
found a pair of gloves I like.

-Craig

StillSailin wrote:
Getting the itch to sail. Usually go to Stevenson.Half way considering going out before things warm up. Would appreciate any recommends on a dry suit vs wet suit and also booties and gloves. As much as I far prefer sailing barefoot I Need some serious booties. Price enters in but not if it means I'm not comfortable enough to sail. Thanks for any help
dcfordo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry suits are warmer and more comfortable, but they are expensive. And, more importantly, beware if you tear a gasket and don't wear a life jacket, it could be deadly.

Newer wetsuits that are designed not to "flush" (dryfit etc.) are very warm, safer, and cheaper.

Regarding booties: I still haven't found something I am satisfied with yet, but Excel superflex 3mil split toes are the only ones that have been acceptable at all. They are shreaded after 1-2 months though.

Gloves suck, but this time of year you have to wear something. Neoprene mitts are too bulky and your hands will cramp. I recommend dishwashing gloves. It sounds silly, but it is just enough to keep your hands from going numb.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again ... "dry suit" does not mean only "cloth or rubber sacks". It also refers to snug-fitting neoprene suits with better seals and zippers than steamers have.

And in just a couple of weeks, the Columbia may be nearing barefoot temps anyway. You could just wait; it just lacks 4-5 degrees, and the snowpack is moderate. OTOH, energy consultant firms forecast fairly heavy water flow in April, which could slow the water temp rise.

But at present river temps (low 40s), just about any high-top booties should be fine, especially considering the air temps we've had for a month now, often in the 50s and 60s out east. Gloves haven't even been necessary on many days for most sailors who don't fall and somehow know they will not break down.

Mike \m/
dcfordo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again.. typical Isobars.

We are all so ignorant StillSailin. We just need to be like Mike. Simply move to the tri-cities and stop falling in the water!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfordo wrote:
Once again.. typical Isobars.

We are all so ignorant StillSailin. We just need to be like Mike. Simply move to the tri-cities and stop falling in the water!

I'm trying to help a sailor who requested our advice, you son of a bitch.
God DAMN but I'm sick and tired of the nuthin'-but-negative jerks here. It gets freaking OLD! How about discussing WINDSURFING here and taking your dumps in the outhouse rather than in our punchbowl? If you think behaving like the SOS I've kilfiled makes you look smart, you're mistaken; it just makes you look like them. No one should be proud of that.

Your bootie and glove comments were valid, but your comments about dry suits were flat out wrong, and I set that message straight with zero implications about the messenger. Your implications that I claim not to fall are totally out of line, as I've stated many times that I fall all the time. And what does TriCities have to do with ANYTHING? I advised Sailin' that he's likely to find some pretty incredible weather by driving a bit further east ... and it's often closer to HR than it is to the TC. So shove your undeserved personal insinuations up your ass.

Izzat personal enough for you?

THAT, not debating something, is anger, Mo. But since it is well deserved and few others are willing to speak out, I'm not deleting it this time. I'm disgusted with the constant personal sniping this place tolerates, and if one personal but earned attack FROM me does any good whatsoever, it's worth it. If it doesn't help, at least it will disappear among everybody else's sewage.
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drysuits are nice and worth the extra $$ if you plan to sail (nearly) year-round in the Gorge or as insurance for breakdowns. If you can wait until April to hit the water, you should be fine with a good 5/3 steamer wetsuit, especially if you don't fall in much.
4-5mm booties are recommended since your feet will definitely get wet.
Don't forget a hood or beanie, but by April you can probably go without gloves or mitts since they are a pain.
You can also layer your suit with polypro rashguards underneath on the colder days.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, dcfordo, I could have not sent that, and of course I could always delete it. But I'm not, in the hope that it successfully highlights the endless $#!+ so many of these guys spew all day. Too bad you got caught up in it; I hope you're man enough to get over it. If so, and if it motivates a few people to stop their own projectile diarrhea or speak out more against others', it was worth the risk. If not, that's the way the cookie bounces.
dcfordo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Isobars.

Obviously I was annoyed by your post, but really, I didn't intend to make you that mad.

Sincerely. I'm sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: