myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Seatle area Puget Sound/ Lake Washinton windsurfing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you don't want to know that one TriCities high school is among the top 5% in the state. As for culture ... I think there's a library somewhere.
With real books.
But here the wife would miss Portland's and Seattle's absolutely crushing traffic, summertime humidity, incessant winter rain, long and hectic drive to an international airport, jammed and expensive parking, endless harassment by beggars and intimidation by gang bangers (at least in Portland), incredible prices on everything, recession, potholes, ...

As for the toys ... I've hauled dirt bikes and snowmobiles and their trailers around the country fairly easily (in the moving van sometimes); the boat would depend on size. But you'd have great use for boats anywhere out here, even if it meant selling one there and buying another here. There's a LOT of navigable water full of fish in the PacNW.

I suggest you independently verify the information in that collection of PMs. In every forum I've ever been in, PMs regarding publicly available information mean one thing: somebody is trying to sneak his own biases past public/peer review. I've seen, for example, people claim that the TriCities is polluted by Hanford. Umm ... look at a map, consider the tens of billions already spent on cleaning up that mess dozens of miles from here, and realize that the only way your pregnant wife or 5-yo kid could find any toxic waste would be the same way a nuclear terrorist would do it: extensive professional research and planning, camouflage, acoustic and infrared shielding, circumventing guarded fences, penetrating walls a 747 could not breach in a full-throttle dive, knowing exactly where to look under the resulting millions of tons of steel-reinforced rubble, AND penetrating even tougher new high-tech armored waste processing tanks.

They're a zillion times more likely to be exposed to life-shortening pollution in traffic or living in a home just downwind of any busy intersection in any city.

Sheesh.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miikkkke,

I think you may have put your job with the Seattle/PDX chamber of commerce on the line, better not quit your day job(windsurfer) nite shift(word smith) for the Tri-Cities CoC......

Man it's easy to get spoiled by the Great Lakes, inland oceans and nothing that lives under water that thinks of you as a snack....

Gawd, were did I put that bullet......

62F in Richmond and sunny, went for a 3hr ride on my MC. Great medicene.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuthin' wrong with a CofC that can back up its PR.
gcmigliaccio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivo has already informed you about shortboarding conditions. I want to add something on the lightwind/longboarding side. You can sail longboards year long in Seattle. If you want to maximize TOW, you can sail a longboard afterwork every day (uhmm ..... depending on sunlight) and spend the weekend chasing stronger wind around the sound, up to Lake Wenatchee (NE) or Rimrock Lake (SE) or down to the Gorge (way SE).
If you like to sail with others, in May/June, you can sail with other longboarding (and some FW) aficionados every Wednesday evening at Des Moines marina for the City League series. It is a very informal setting (i.e., no protest and score system based on attendance more than on arrival). With your Serenity, we may finally see some competition against a modified Crit D2 board from 1982. Also, in a urban setting, there is some windsurfing in Union Bay by the UW club (most of my longboard sailing is done there). In term of launching sites, don't worry. There are plenty of city parks around the lake for launching a longboard. However, the most popular for shortboarding in Lk Washington are Magnuson Park on Seattle side, Waverly in Kirkland and Newwcastle (just S of Bellevue). On the Sound, you can sail out of Golden Garden, Edmonds, Richmond Park or even Alki Beach. If you have decided to live down to Tacoma, there are a few sailors living in Gig Harbor/Purdy area.
If you post on NW Windtalk, you will find more local information.
Looking forward to see you in the water. With a Serenity, I will recognize you. Very Happy
jota

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about sneaking in biases!

Yeah, I spent two days last week stuck and frustrated in Seattle's crushing traffic. Portland, OTOH, is a breeze (and I am a long-term HR resident with little tolerance for city traffic).

Portland traffic is minimal except for limited rush-hour times and locations. The drive to the airport is quick and easy. Parking is super easy almost anywhere - you can generally park right by your destination, even downtown. Winter weather, while generally dreary rather than actually downpouring, can also often be better than the gorge. Summer weather can sometimes be cloudy and even rainy when the gorge is beautiful (so drive to the gorge, duh), but it's often absolutely stunningly beautiful too, especially later summer into fall.

I have spent countless hours in Portland over the last 25 years and have no idea what Mike means about intimidation by gangbangers. Sure, there are panhandlers but they are nonthreatening and respectful (I was harassed more in Spokane a few weeks ago).

Yeah, Portland's not a "world class" city like Seattle, LA, SF or Vancouver BC, but it's close - and it doesn't have a lot of their world-class problems. And the food is certainly world-class!
30knotwind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having lived in Seattle, Spokane, Portland, Boston, San Francisco, and a summer on Maui, Portland ticks the most boxes for a culturally-interested windsurfer--IMO.

But, Mike has a very valid point about the Tri-cities/Arlington windsurfing quality--I prefer it to the Corridor: you can get as much sailing as you need out there and the quality is higher than the corridor, i.e. wider waves, longer season, warmer temperatures, less gusty and very little 'traffic' chop. I don't have much experience with culture in Tri-Cities, but it's always the warmest place in the NW by 5-10 F, like a misplaced piece of California.

We chose Portland/WS for the culture/scene, access to the east Gorge mountains and Oregon coast. San Francisco has a longer season and more reliable wind--everyday--but less swell where the wind is, also Red Triangle is a little scary.

Maui is just too far/tropical for me, a hard core PNW boy. I LOVE Seattle, water/mountain heaven, but windsurfing is too important to me and Portland is a little warmer for the Mrs.

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jota wrote:
I have spent countless hours in Portland over the last 25 years and have no idea what Mike means about intimidation by gangbangers.

That came from long-time very close friends who lived in Portland for 40 years before leaving largely to get their growing family and themselves away from crowds of gangbangers hanging around many of the sidewalks and parking lots where they shopped. She has been all over the world, and he led a search and destroy platoon in Viet Nam for a couple of years, but neither felt safe in Portland any more. They moved to Hood River in the '90s.

I know that mac will holler, "Racist, racist, pants on fire" (he's apparently not a poet), but these people enjoyed their hard-working ethnic neighbors in HR, and I didn't see evidence of that in their lives despite living in their home for years.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30knotwind wrote:
1. you can get as much sailing as you need out there

2. I don't have much experience with culture in Tri-Cities,

3. it's always the warmest place in the NW by 5-10 F, like a misplaced piece of California.

4. We chose Portland/WS for the culture/scene, access to the east Gorge mountains and Oregon coast

1. I wish. Many of us milk every last gust until we can't see shore any longer; Three of us have long been called the Roosevelt Swim Club. And I'd give my second-favorite board to anyone who could guarantee two times as many sailable days. Make that "two" a "three" and I'd throw in the totally custom quiver of sails I picked up yesterday.

2. Me, neither, and I moved here in 1999. It's available here and nearby, but it doesn't interest me. I won tickets to The Lion King, but gave them to a friend, and I bought near-front-row seats and drove to Portland for Mama Mia and Cirque du Solei.

3. We call it the Banana Belt of the PacNW. There seems to be an orographic weather filter up-jetstream of us; we are a major and fairly consistent donut hole in the PacNW weather. Unfortunately, the Chamber of Commerce plays that up nationally.

4. Tough to beat that combination.
deryck.w

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Seatle area Puget Sound/ Lake Washinton windsurfing? Reply with quote

SeaDawg wrote:
A Google Satalite fly over, sort of shows a lack of public beach launch sites for the area to the west and east of Seatle. In fact Lake Washinton almost has the feel of lake shore owners only....

Tell me about Puget Sound windsurfing.

SeaDawg,

I don't really know where your located but I grew up sailing on Henderson Bay, Puget Sound, WA. There is some good sailing from the launch at the Purdy Spit in Purdy, WA. Also check out Kopachuck State Park, Gig Harbor, WA. Both places are really pretty good if you live near the Key Peninsula, Gig Harbor/Tacoma area as they aren't very far from the highway, and are best from the middle of September to the beginning of December as there are a lot of wind storms that come through that time (you can get quite a few days on a (4.2-6.2). At purdy there is group of local of sailors from the Key Peninsula area that sail the Gorge in the Summer times and are friendly and fun to sail with. Both places have conditions similar to the Gorge with wind/swell and are fairly safe to sail. Beware though, the Kopachuck State park launch is a few minute walk from the launch as you can't park near the water. Purdy Spit you can park right on the water and is at the bottom of a bay, making it really safe to sail alone.

If Kopachuck isn't happening you can go a mile down Kopachuck road and sail/park on Raft Island, WA, and launch from the Boat launch there. It says its a private island but no one has ever bothered me when I park there.

If you live near Wollechet bay, and are more in to formula you can launch from the Fox Island Boat launch, but I wouldn't recommend it unless the winds direction is right
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deryck.w wrote:
SeaDawg wrote:
A Google Satalite fly over, sort of shows a lack of public beach launch sites for the area to the west and east of Seatle. In fact Lake Washinton almost has the feel of lake shore owners only

[Raft Island] says its a private island but no one has ever bothered me when I park there.

Congratulations, Deryck. You have discovered a passkey to a lifetime of more freedom than most people enjoy. You're in the population segment that lives by the mantra "There's no sign saying I can't, therefore I can". The other segment's mantra is "There's no sign saying I can, therefore I cannot." Just think of the extra freedom the former group enjoys in every aspect of their lives, including launching WSers, riding mountain bikes, filling out tax returns, passing sheeple on two-lane highways, getting laws passed or blocked, camping outdoors, getting jobs ... the sky's the limit with the former attitude. There's often a gaping chasm between what we're invited to do and what we're expressly forbidden to do, and that chasm is at the beck and call of the former group. (The latter group misses a huge array of freedom by waiting for written invitations for every option.)

How does that relate to SeaDawg's topical question? Easy: The former group would look at those Google Earth pictures and see opportunity, not lack thereof. When I see a 10 square meter patch of unfenced land next to a body of windy water, I think "That's a potential launch site." I'll then drive to it, evaluate its value as a launch site, and look for signs like "Achtung: Minen. Eintritt Verboten". Depending on signage and common sense, I'll either rig, ask if I may launch despite the signs, or leave. I have yet to be asked to leave or denied a request to launch ... but then I've not asked Bill Gates to let me launch from his yard. I HAVE asked, successfully, to launch from the lawn of the man who wrote the laws governing shoreline access to the Columbia River. Most people are darn nice when asked politely, and no one's ever asked me to get off a corporate lawn. A bride's father even invited me to come eat at her wedding reception when he noticed me de-rigging on the adjacent office building lawn.

I'm not criticizing your mindset, SeaDawg; it's very understandable considering where you've lived. But until one goes TOO far west in the lower 48 states, it's pretty safe to err on the side of freedom when in doubt, and/or ask if you can find someone in authority. The bright side of that is that, absent a serious sign to the contrary, if we can't find someone to say, "Yes, you may", who's gonna say, "No, you may not"? Simply asking has gotten me access to private launches, including a closed state park and posted private launches all over the West, and the same approach has gotten me jobs and tax deductions and scores of great camp sites for decades.

Now go check Google Earth again, looking not for places you are AUTHORIZED to launch but instead for places that look good and are not expressly FORBIDDEN to us. A good example is U.S. GOVERNMENT LAND. GREAT! That makes it MINE unless clearly stated otherwise, as the government works for me. (Beware; that's changing rapidly.)

Sorry about the lecture, but this principle has dominated and improved every aspect of my entire personal and professional lives for >60 years. I am very dismayed to see it threatened by ever-increasing legislation; get it while you can.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: