myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
where to find a used formula board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do the adj out haul, remember to re-tighten it at every corner. pump to plane is not efficient with a loose out haul.

lighter folks with the really square formula boards can pump to plane in the front strap. i need a couple of pumps first, fat carcass and all....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re adj OH, I highly recommend the Sailworks version. It is very tunable for different ergonomic needs and operates with far less friction than the jam cleat varieties. Also, no hard cleats to smash your hands or board. East of Air doesn't sell Sailworks and we pay full freight like everyone else, but the adj line set is worthy of our praise.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
NEsailor, forever the ignorant moron.

Have you looked in a mirror lately, O Swift One?
greyghost

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
Re adj OH, I highly recommend the Sailworks version. It is very tunable for different ergonomic needs and operates with far less friction than the jam cleat varieties. Also, no hard cleats to smash your hands or board. East of Air doesn't sell Sailworks and we pay full freight like everyone else, but the adj line set is worthy of our praise.

I have both set ups. The Chinook on my larger sails 6.0 - 8.5 and the sailworks on the smaller 4.2-6.0. completely agree with the cleat comment. One thing to note is that the Chinook has an extra pulley so it's easier to get more leverage/power to pull the outhaul out. Might/might not be a consideration. Overall I think an adjust outhaul is well worth it.
bthiel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I would try extreme windsurfing down in NJ. Give Jim a email. He has lots of boards and you might get lucky..
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this thread was started I went over the receipts for my Formula gear. Having the 100 cm wide 155 liter Exocet hasn't made a huge difference, yet, in my sailing. However, I haven't been sailing since July 20th and have had the board here on Cape Cod for only the second season. Putting an 11 meter on my Naish 82 cm wide 160 liter board works, but it is harder to get up on a plane in the marginal winds. The fact I want to convey when using the word elite would be that this kind of equipment isn't all that common in N.E. and almost no one goes into it before sailing for a number of years. Transportation costs are what you are going to pay to obtain a board here at home. If Sailworld has a formula board, it certainly isn't new and probably won't stay on the rack long. They definitely do not have new 11 meter sails as World Sails doesn't make anything that big. I checked out the prices of big carbon booms at all the N.E. shops and they do not stock them. You have to pay additional transportation costs as well. I had my sail and boom shipped by truck from SandyPoint in Daytona at $90 each. That was an excellent price compared to what the shops here charge. I bought the board used from them and paid $600. It had a repaired nose. I had to spend a day driving from Vero Beach to Daytona to pick it up and return. When I came home, I had to find a limo that would take it to the Orlando airport. Then I carried it along with my other bags to the check-in. It went with me on the plane to Logan at an additional charge of $60 as I remember. After carrying it through the terminal to the curb, it was loaded into a Jeep and carried home. All and all that was a considerable expense and bumped my board collection into the elite category.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
...but it is harder to get up on a plane in the marginal winds...

Could it have anything to do with those extra 35 pounds you piled on your gut, big guy?
NEsailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The fact I want to convey when using the word elite would be that this kind of equipment isn't all that common in N.E. and almost no one goes into it before sailing for a number of years. Transportation costs are what you are going to pay to obtain a board here at home. If Sailworld has a formula board, it certainly isn't new and probably won't stay on the rack long. They definitely do not have new 11 meter sails as World Sails doesn't make anything that big. I checked out the prices of big carbon booms at all the N.E. shops and they do not stock them. You have to pay additional transportation costs as well. I had my sail and boom shipped by truck from SandyPoint in Daytona at $90 each. That was an excellent price compared to what the shops here charge. I bought the board used from them and paid $600. It had a repaired nose. I had to spend a day driving from Vero Beach to Daytona to pick it up and return. When I came home, I had to find a limo that would take it to the Orlando airport. Then I carried it along with my other bags to the check-in. It went with me on the plane to Logan at an additional charge of $60 as I remember. After carrying it through the terminal to the curb, it was loaded into a Jeep and carried home

I have to disagree with this theory of formula equipment being elite and super expensive for the average sailor. My experience was quite the opposite. I also was looking for equipment to plane early in light winds. I was able to find a 100% carbon mast, carbon boom and 11 meter sail on line for an extremely reasonable cost. The condition was perfect. The shipping to get it to me was only $100 via freight. The rig was only 4 years old and was probably sold by a racer who upgraded. I think I paid less than $750 for the whole package. As far as the board, I bought a 2005 in good condition and I had to drive about an hour to a nearby state to pick it up. (no big deal) Also probably a racer who was selling outdated equipment. I paid about $300 for my board. So for just over $1000 I was able to get into a complete kit which I probably use about 60% of the time I sail. Best move I ever made. I am also from the New England area.

I think for someone who has limited sailing time and just wants to maximize TOW, Formula is a great way to go. I don’t mind the big sail at all and have grown accustom to it. It is far better than the alternative of not sailing. I even practice some easy freestyle tricks with it.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are lucky and do some serious searching you might find Formula equipment close to home for reasonable prices, but the fact is the sport is not a New England staple and the equipment remains difficult to find. In addition my board really can't be used with a sail smaller than 9 sq. meters. Most windsurfers wouldn't touch a 9 meter sail let alone make it their staple. It's also a funny thing about this sport that small seldom used wave or b&j boards can be found universally and had for a very low price. Windsurfers who live in N.E. will buy them and then discover that they never use them.

Last edited by speedysailor on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
angulo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was one of the best I've read so far... speedy, bro, you crack me up. at least a couple other guys jumped in to shut you down with the meds comment being the best, but don't worry we all write stuff a little weird after our 3rd cup of strong coffee, which we are a bit elitist about here in N.E. Wink

f2003, if you still need a board, plenty of my colleagues have these and I could potentially bring you one to Nahant, if you can't find one locally, which would be best best . I'll be on Maui in Oct. and can probably find a really killer one from Micah Buzianis and or a really old one that he probably has beating around in his garage. The other thing is MIcah may be coming to Boston in Nov. so I could hook you up with him and you guys could deal directly.

Have fun,
Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: