myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
post-Irene: windsurfing in the news
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayturcot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: post-Irene: windsurfing in the news Reply with quote

Found a couple of links on windsurfers. The first two are fun... the last tragic.

Boston sailors @ Pleasure Bay
including two "thank you" comments to the DCR by myself and another sailor that day

taken from:
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/news/city_desk_wired/index.php/2011/08/28/trees-down-power-out-good-surfing/

Windsufing + golf = amazing

taken from:
http://www.thedailyfairfield.com/news/windsurfer-rides-out-irene-golf-course

... and the tragic news...
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/weather/29003267/detail.html
-- Authorities are trying to determine whether the drowning death of a windsurfer whose body was discovered Sunday in New York's Bellport Bay is related to Irene, Suffolk County Police said.

It was a crazy storm. I'm glad Boston was able to have a safe venue for some windsurfers to enjoy the storm. Hope everybody and their friends, families and homes made it through without major issues.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That second picture looks great.

Last edited by speedysailor on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
zeppy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Jay. Terrible news about the windsurfer in NY. Guy in the first picture looks like he was having a good time. Very Happy Anyone else get any pictures from Pleasure Bay? Felt kind of like a stadium built for windsurfing on Sunday with all the cars and people lined up! - Seth
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: post-Irene: windsurfing in the news Reply with quote

Joe Rocco took a bad fall (why is unknown...maybe he hit debris) and was knocked unconscious and drowned. He was a fixture at Long Island's Heckscher Park (where he was humorously referred to as "the mayor") and a particularly great guy.

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2011/08/what-happened-to-joe-rocco.html

[quote="jayturcot"]
... and the tragic news...
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/weather/29003267/detail.html
-- Authorities are trying to determine whether the drowning death of a windsurfer whose body was discovered Sunday in New York's Bellport Bay is related to Irene, Suffolk County Police said.

speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they determine that it was a windsurfer who drowned will they declare Windsurfing illegal?
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
If they determine that it was a windsurfer who drowned will they declare Windsurfing illegal?

Brucie,why do you say stuff like this?
NEsailor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Brucie, This statement kind of makes you look like an idiot. Are you sure you wanted to say that? I certainly don't want anyone to get the impression that you post idiotic things. Does Mom know you wrote that? Maybe you should think again and retract it. Please think in the future and don't make it seem as though you are a troll looking for attention.
Thank you for your consideration.
jayturcot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the post on the PeconicPuffin about Joe Rocco.
Super tragic since, as it said, it could be any of us who were out that day... or out any given day.
The positive spin I can try putting on it is that I'm glad Joe was able to keep windsurfing to the age of 68 and it sounds like was still going on strong to the end.

Thanks for the details on what happened.
It always makes it on my radar when accidents like this occur, since I know that windsurfing is a relatively low risk activity (on the scale of perception vs actual**), and this does help identify those factors that increase risk.

perception = windsurfing is wave sailing down jaws
actual = windsurfing is a bunch of grey haired teenagers standing around in wetsuits talking sail-size
scargo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrible -- thanks for posting the information.

It may be impossible to say something like this without sounding insensitive, but we should also not be blind to lessons that may be gleaned. For me, it's a reminder of how fragile the noggin is, and why it makes sense to wear a helmet, at least in certain conditions (but please note that I have no idea whether he was wearing one). I'm used to wearing one now, and never leave shore without it. No matter how well you sail, all kinds of unpredictable things can happen when traveling so quickly over surface that you can't really see.
DeanWithrow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeppy wrote:
Thanks for posting Jay. Terrible news about the windsurfer in NY. Guy in the first picture looks like he was having a good time. Very Happy Anyone else get any pictures from Pleasure Bay? Felt kind of like a stadium built for windsurfing on Sunday with all the cars and people lined up! - Seth

Hey Seth, are you in this group shot from Sunday? Someone was in the water taking shots, but I haven't seen anything posted. As for what happened to Joe Rocco, it's horrible and could have been any of us. I too took a very bad fall in Pleasure Buy after hitting a 2X4. I slammed my head and broke my boom, but someone was at my side within 20 seconds. It pays to sail with others in a protected bay.

Dean Cool

Irene Sailors group shot small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  670.18 KB
 Viewed:  17959 Time(s)

Irene Sailors group shot small.jpg

Irene 2x4 cut small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  549.48 KB
 Viewed:  17959 Time(s)

Irene 2x4 cut small.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: