myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
kite board lessons in the middle of the hatchery??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kraig

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: kite board lessons in the middle of the hatchery?? Reply with quote

I was sailing yesterday and a instructor with jet ski was giving a kiteboard lesson right on the middle of the hatchery for hours? What is up with that? It seems like there is plenty of space east of the hatchery where there aren't so many sailors. I couldn't figure out which school it was but the kite board instructor had longish blond hair. It would be nice to know to ask them why they would choose to do it there.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it was strange, but at least it was way over by the Oregon side, so not too much of a problem. I couldn't get over the other kiters "hanging out" right in front of the Cove launch at the Hatch. Why kite right where windsurfers launch?
ldhr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
I couldn't get over the other kiters "hanging out" right in front of the Cove launch at the Hatch. Why kite right where windsurfers launch?

We kite there for the same reason that everyone windsurf's there. It's the best swell between Portland and Maryhill.
I'm one of those kiters and in no way do we effect any windsurfer's launching. Windsurfer's have 20 places they can launch between Stevenson and the Event Site. Kiters have 3.
If you're uncomfortable around kiters - ask yourself why and then ask yourself if there is real evidence for you to be nervous around kiters.
Anyone who kites at the Hatchery is probably an expert and most kiters know to give windsurfers right of way at the Hatch.
I kited up to Swell the past 2 days and I try to keep a huge buffer between myself and windsurfers.... but I still get dirty looks from a few windsurfers. I can tell others are nervous being around kites, but's the anxiety is unfounded.
Modern kites are easy to control and I'm not aware of any accidents between kiters and windsurfers caused by the kiter.
Also - the kite schools have big challenges due to high water and no sandbar. The area above Well's Island has a few shallow spots perfect for launching students. They're doing downwinders back to the Event Site. They typically stay on Oregon side of the river and in no way are they "in the middle of the hatch".
westender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kiters I've been around at the Hatchery were less trouble than some of the Windsurfers I've seen. No attitude and never been cut off. YMMV.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
johnl wrote:
I couldn't get over the other kiters "hanging out" right in front of the Cove launch at the Hatch. Why kite right where windsurfers launch?

We kite there for the same reason that everyone windsurf's there. It's the best swell between Portland and Maryhill.
I'm one of those kiters and in no way do we effect any windsurfer's launching. Windsurfer's have 20 places they can launch between Stevenson and the Event Site. Kiters have 3.
If you're uncomfortable around kiters - ask yourself why and then ask yourself if there is real evidence for you to be nervous around kiters.

Idhr, thanks for the comment. It does help explain it. I can't say I agree with it, but nice to know. And no, I'm not uncomfortable around kiters, and I prefer experienced kiters to less experienced windsufers Smile In fact I was the one who smiled at the kiter who crashed (don't know why he did) right in front of two of us jibing.

I can see hanging out in the swell, but I do dissagree with being right at the launch. 20' down the river (or up the river) would make a difference. I look at this the same way I look at windsurfers clogging up the launch.
westender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kiters I was playing Chicken with were downstream from Kodak Pt. and were no problem as were the others I've encountered at the Hatchery when it was not prime time peak season. I usually avoid that place when it gets crazy. If there were Kiters hogging the launch at Old Farts Cove, they maybe came up from the Event Site and brought their attitudes with them. The few ruin it for the many.

Even at Bob's Beach they've come up and flaunted their skills right in front of the launch in light winds. When I heard people questioning their tactics I jumped to their defense saying they were there for the Butter. I'll ask the Dangler but I'm pretty sure that's what was going on.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John, I was there yesterday until the wind came up and a lot of sailors took to the water, at which point I looked for a less crowded realm. The swell was there, and there only until that point. Moreover, I was kiting with my wife who was windsurfing from the cove. We don't get to do that too often, so that was pretty great for the two of us.

Best,
Eric
surfersteve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldhr - Sounds like you live in Ptld? I live, work and sail in the Gorge. I regularly see kites now at Mosier, Rowena, the sandbar/event site, Hatch, Stevenson, an Arlington/Roosevelt when I to out that way for travel. The topic is a little silly, really. That kiter was NOT anywhere near anyone. I saw him also. That is about the safest place on the entire river for a lesson IMO. We all have to be little more patient this year. Maybe a few extra miles to Mosier or Rowena where the reach is broader and there is a wide stretch vs. the Hatch? Last year there I sailed around the same kiter dude on consecutive days at the Hatch and Rowena where it was 4.2 or 3.7 the whole time and he was dumping his kite everywhere. No control, no common sense. We all have to learn. Everyone has their first day at the Hatch. 95% of the kiters I see at the Hatch are quite good and very alert. I salute that respect for everyone's river. This year it is the nets, not the kites F-ing it up for people.
kiterperson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: KITE LESSON WAS IN FACT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HATCH Reply with quote

I was there. There was a kite lesson in the middle of the hatch as well as one on the Oregon side. The lesson in the middle? Well the kite was down in the water with lines stretched down wind for quite a while. A very dangerous situation. I am a veteran kiter, as well as a windsurfer. My observation at the Hatch is that we all need to all share the river, but when 5 (or 15+) kiters are doing short quick reaches on the swell it provides few, if any, opportunities for the windsurfers to surf the swell too. Windsurfers are much slower to maneuver, and have very limited visability. It appears that the kiters "take over" and windsurfers are basically "run off".
Bret

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SURFER STEVE,

Nicely said! We take it one day at a time! Love the wind and warm weather and smile!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: