myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I might have saved a life today, with help from the USCG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorgesurfshop

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Pryde still makes the High Hook vest and we have a good stock of them.
usa4

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something similar last week on the SF Bay...

I saw my first kitemare yesterday at crissy. Conditions were way overpowered- 25-35k, gusting up to 40k. Dude was hooked in being hopelessly dragged on his back downwind while kite repeatedly launched and crashed. He went from way upwind of Anita to past the StFYC in no time-all while taking some viscous dunkings. I followed him downwind, stopping in a water-start position just downwind of him but he wasnt able get a hold onto my board while being dragged- nor did I want to get involved with his lines! On my 3rd attempt to rescue, I finally caught up to him by just past the StFyc A buoy where he was able to become untangled from this his lines & I towed him in. I'm surprised he was able to hang on after the ordeal he just went through. Glad to lend a hand but sure doesnt make me want to jump over to the dark side!

Steve
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see ... tie yourself to a 50-horsepower object with a mind of its own and enter the water in a near gale with no knife or leash or helmet (usually) ... yup, sure sounds fun to me. I'm going to run right out and do that tomorrow.

When's the last time your windsurfing kit tried to kill you in a scenario where simply relaxing your grip didn't stop the madness?

Mike \m/
grayson

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgesurfshop wrote:
Neil Pryde still makes the High Hook vest and we have a good stock of them.

Uh, yeah, maybe I wasn't clear in my earlier post. It's the "Hydropouch" accessory that's non-existent, not the High Hook vest itself. Pryde still touts "Hydropouch attachment points" as a feature of the High Hook (among other vests) on their website, product brochures, tags on the vests themselves, etc, even though no such Hydropouch accessory has been available for at least the last few years. I'm just wondering what sent the Hydropouch accessory the way of the dinosaur???? I was lucky enough to finally score one on eBay, and it's a really slick little unit. I just don't understand why it's not available everywhere the High Hook vest is sold, that's all.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job dudes.
98774jackson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very nice job.
wdcskier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grayson-

It is almost four years after this event occurred. I have tried to find your name a few times with no luck in the past. I wanted to thank you with all of my heart. My friend and I were not nearly as prepared as we should have been. Luckily for him after being in the water for almost 40 minutes he did not get hypothermia, just a little stiff from swimming for that long in the cold. We both still love to sail, but now we are more prepared. I recently bought a Hobbie 16 and every time I go out I have my phone in a waterproof case with me.

Ironically enough I am now a freshmen at the Coast Guard academy on the offshore sailing team and have learned so much about safety. Most of the people around me know about me getting rescued and they all pick on me about it.

Thank you again for coming to our rescue the cold spring day.
Will C.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a GREAT outcome and response, Will. Thank you in advance for your service. You Coasties in particular do a lot of unsung, often incredibly heroic, work.

Mike Fick
Major, USAF (Ret)
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, awesome, Will.

I bet putting up with the teasing will end up being one of the easiest things you'll have to do during your freshman year....
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geohaye wrote:
putting up with the teasing ....

"teasing"? Anyone who hasn't been through Basic Training, Officer Training School, or a freshman military academy class would equate it to torture, literally. The freshman class at GITMO had it easier, in many cases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: