myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dept of feet in straps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riv2511

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't teach an old dog new tricks...
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Iso; I recall you saying you do your swell riding while hooked in?? Am I remembering right??

I can't do that my own self?

Do you ride swell at full power, or luffed? Right there's the difference. As long as I'm sheeted in with the hammer down, I may as well take a load off my arms. It's not a "build" thing; it's a skill I chose to learn to extend my TOW while keeping the throttle WFO. I can't imagine sailing fully powered and constantly maneuvering for 8-10 hours a day without using a harness.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riv2511 wrote:
can't teach an old dog new tricks...

Or young pups, apparently. Heck, I figgered out at 50 how to steer with my back foot; maybe once these pups get a little older and wiser ... and try boards designed to allow back foot turning ... they'll figger it out, too. The wrong gear fights it, but it's so simple with the right gear that even I can do it. Wink

There's nothing to "learn" or "teach" about loose straps ... you just yank the X-Lace loop, raise your heel to loosen the straps, and sail away. Ditto yanking them tight ... unless the board demands that the front foot be placed across the centerline to set it up on the opposite rail. I prefer boards with more versatility and my ankles are more important to me than "doing it like the pros do". I also giggle like a school girl every time I twitch my back toe to expose my fin and dive off an onshore/Gorge lip.

Jeez ... why do so many people insist there's only one way to make a board do what they want? That sounds boring to me. With that approach, freestyle would still be stuck on head dips.

Mike \m/
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't imagine sailing fully powered and constantly maneuvering for 8-10 hours a day without using a harness.

Uh huh! And I can't imagine you shutting your mouth for 8-10 hours to go sailing!
jesusjones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Lil Stinker Reply with quote

Footstraps; we don't need no stinkin footstraps. I fly through the air with the greatest of ease, I;m the flying man without out any knees.

flapper!.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  622.66 KB
 Viewed:  13591 Time(s)

flapper!.jpg

kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of you who ride w/ your feet deep in the straps might consider DaKine Core Contour straps (I don't sell them, but I love them). They have a little stretch to them, so if you fall forward they don't put as much pressure on the top of your foot... saved my feet many times during awkward crashes trying tricks.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use'm, I lke'm, and I ride deep ;*) . Another vote for the Contours.

-Craig

kevinkan wrote:
some of you who ride w/ your feet deep in the straps might consider DaKine Core Contour straps (I don't sell them, but I love them). They have a little stretch to them, so if you fall forward they don't put as much pressure on the top of your foot... saved my feet many times during awkward crashes trying tricks.
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's beat this dead horse some more! This thread is a classic. We've got two different schools taking here. Like telling a freestyler that the fin should be in the back...
Sounds like Isobars injuries were all before windsurfing. So there is no relation to his perference and the prevention of injury unless he can say that he's injured his ankles because of loose straps.
When ya all talk about wave sailors with their feet in the straps up to their ankles, that just isn't true. Sure they might be larger than Isobars toe straps but seriously folks, you think the guys that ride waves are going to put their feet in up to their ankles?? Not quite. They are adjusted as exact as Isobars toe straps. They sure as heck want them to come out when they want them to come out. Not much worse than going over the falls with a foot stuck in the strap. To each his own for sure but I can say that Isobars cannot turn his board like someone that has larger straps. The back foot steering thing...OMG. Show me a board that doesn't turn with back foot input. If you're just turning with your back foot your missing out. Total horse crap.
Want to know how to keep your foot in a larger strap? Curl your toes a bit.
Want to know how to get your foot out of a larger strap? Uncurl your toes a bit.
Over 30 years experience talking and never, not once had an ankle injury windsurfing.
Loosen up will ya!
tweeky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I and I don't walk through the woods on all fours wearing antlers in hunting season,

Oh, just in the off-season then?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlightlySalty wrote:
1. Sounds like Isobars injuries were all before windsurfing.

2. So there is no relation to his perference and the prevention of injury unless he can say that he's injured his ankles because of loose straps.

3. When ya all talk about wave sailors with their feet in the straps up to their ankles, that just isn't true. Sure they might be larger than Isobars toe straps

4. I can say that Isobars cannot turn his board like someone that has larger straps.

5. Show me a board that doesn't turn with back foot input

6. Want to know how to keep your foot in a larger strap? Curl your toes a bit.
Want to know how to get your foot out of a larger strap? Uncurl your toes a bit.

7. Over 30 years experience talking and never, not once had an ankle injury windsurfing.

8. Loosen up will ya!

Man, you guys care more than I do about how I sail. Oh, well, here goes.

1. I have permanent scars on the top of my left arch from footstrap injuries that hurt for years. I had to sail all one summer with only my toes in that strap because of the pain if the strap touched my arch. Many times I've had to use brute force to take boards from 8' to 12' long over the nose with me -- sort of a surface loop or forced pearl -- to save my front arch from being crushed. I've come extremely close to severe foot and ankle injuries many times when front feet didn't release.

2. Loose ... tight ... whatever ... My top priority is that my foot comes out when I go over the bars. Considering what a badly crushed arch can do to one's sailing for years, everything else is secondary.

3. My front feet go in to the point the pressure point (and the scar) is at the peak, or center, of that arch (if you could call my flat feet "arched"). That spot is about 2" in front of my shin. How far my toes emerge in front of the strap depends on how wide the strap is; some of my front straps are very wide kiteboard straps because I like their soft, flanged leading edge.

4. I'm not in breaking waves, nor am I at Kodak Point at the Hatchery after the crowds arrive, so I virtually never see anyone carve tighter turns at high speed than I do, and many people comment on my turns. That's good enough for me. I have no idea how my turns compare to those of elite sailors, because I've never watched pros sail. I'm not a spectator.

5. A few I've demoed, tested at length, and/or owned that don't turn as quickly as I want off the back foot include 2010 Thommen MWX 83, '08 Fanatic FSW, Rutger Wave, '08(?) Starboard Kombat, 2001 AHD Power Wave, 2001 Naish Wave 8-7, a Drops Wave, and many more ... and those are just the ones I chose because they were reputed to turn. There are literally hundreds of other wave, B&J, FSW, global wave, etc. boards I didn't even try because they are reputed to be even more sluggish turners.

6. I usually set up my front pads so their leading edge gives me a grip ridge. My front straps overlap as it is, so my toes are often on or across the centerline now; my protruding big toe often hits my lee strap. But since I don't need to engage my whole rail to turn, I see no need to have my front arch on the centerline.

7. Great ... and that explains a lot. One severe ankle injury may change your tune, however. I trained myself to be careful of my ankles with every step after experiencing 20-30 extremely painful ankle injuries over 30 years.

8. But you did say "talk about wave sailors with their feet in the straps up to their ankles, that just isn't true. you think the guys that ride waves are going to put their feet in up to their ankles??", and if my straps were literally 1 mm looser, I'd be in up to my ankles. There's no in between; if my feet don't stop 2" from my shins, they go right up to my shins.

Understand that virtually all my boards have tails under about 12"/30 cm wide and tail rails as thin as a dull axe blade. Some tails are so thin their A fin box had to be cut down to fit flush on the deck. They track and turn just fine at full speed, with the fin exposed if I so choose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: