myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dept of feet in straps
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Dept of feet in straps Reply with quote

Hi all,
Way back when I was learning, I dislocated by ankle (front foot strap) when I got hit by a gust trying to jibe. Ever since then, I have been a bit spooked about how far my feet go in the straps.

However, as I have gotten way better and started surfing the swell and waves, I find that my feet are buried in the straps, at times, for control. I think I saw someone tried at one point to make a strap that would 'release' like a binding, but I don't think it every made it to the big time.

Just curious, for those who know how to sail the swell and waves, how many of you bury your feet in the straps versus keep them out, and risk the worst, like a lisfranc fracture....don't want that! Crying or Very sad
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the solid feel I get from burying my feet in the straps, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna sail that way. The ankle sprains and breaks I suffered decades ago still bother me, and they were "normal" injuries, not Lisfrancs or other such "career" threats. I don't fly motorized toys off cliffs without scoping the height and landing first, I don't slide back and hang off my rear fender when I do fly off cliffs, I don't race dirt bikes at Moab with my helmet on backward, and I don't walk through the woods on all fours wearing antlers in hunting season, and I also don't WS in gusty winds and nasty terrain with only my front foot strapped in. I get pitched forward often enough that I'd have destroyed my ankles long ago if they didn't come out by themselves because I can see only my toes in front of the front strap. I've never felt I was giving up any control that way, and I haven't missed any sailing, let alone a season or a lifetime, due to ankle injuries.

My single back strap is loose so my foot straddles the centerline, but it has never yet hung up in a crash.

Mike \m/
riv2511

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at any still photo of people who know how to wavesail.. Levi,Polakow,Naish etc. Their feet are all the way in the straps to their ankles.. There is no way you could bottom turn or rip swells otherwise..
They are called footstraps not toestraps!!!!!!!!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and pro skiers put their feet in vises and nail them to the skis because they'd rather destroy a knee than lose a race. JGDA and I fall more often than those guys do, and Robby Naish sprained an ankle trying that approach. I have zero problem bottom turning or ripping swells with my front foot only half way in, partly because I buy boards that turn off my back foot.

Mike \m/
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that pro's have their straps very tall so that the foot can turn in the strap. The sides are snug against the foot, but the top is loose. They train their feet to hold them in the straps, not use the straps to hold their feet on the board.

So in a fall, the foot comes out of the strap, since it was the foot that was holding on in the first place. Much better than having the strap tight and holding your foot on the board in a bad fall.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny or not so much I tweaked my foot today at Rowena (3.7) more cause booties suck and i launched on a ramp in the back foot came out or just hyper extended or what. now just a bit hobbled, a few more drinks and the self imposed pain meds will kick in.

Note: water seems pretty warm (no gloves) when air is just 55 now.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
Funny or not so much I tweaked my foot today at Rowena (3.7) more cause booties suck and i launched on a ramp in the back foot came out or just hyper extended or what. now just a bit hobbled, a few more drinks and the self imposed pain meds will kick in.

At least you got out. I spent the day working in the yard (trying to get stuff done before the next rain).
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
andymc4610 wrote:

At least you got out. I spent the day working in the yard (trying to get stuff done before the next rain).

check out rowena....................not better just easier
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or just where peoplr go when the its cold...............
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
or just where peoplr go when the its cold...............

Looks like those self-imposed pain meds kicked in OK. Wink

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: