myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cost of Windsurfer One Design in 1981??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Cost of Windsurfer One Design in 1981?? Reply with quote

I tried to post this earlier, but I cannot see it...

Does anybody remember the retail price for a Windsurfer One Design in 1980-1982?

I was a teenager at the time, and now my memory is foggy. I thought it was close to the cost of a Laser, I am thinking about $1100.

I know that in 1982, the new Bic ( a cheaper version of the Dufour Wing) came out with a huge price drop. It was a significant enough price drop for my younger brother and me to convince my sailing dad to lend us the money for our first sailboard. I had tried another kid's board a few years earlier and I wanted to ditch my sunfish.

I do remember the Windsurfer just got it's first aluminum boom and composite centerboard around that time.

Just curious if anyone out there remembers... Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One-Design, I don't know. But just for price comparison, my bud's early '80s Mistral Pan-Am cost him $2,500 including a rig -- that's equivalent to $5,500 today.

Mike \m/
jsampiero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question - and you can buy one again today Wink

I'll ask a Schweitzer....

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
blockidog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $1200 in '81.
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Smile
thombiz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for comparison, I had a friend who became a dealer for BIC boards about that time and a complete one sail rig with board sold for $395. That would have been around 1981. Within 2 years prices doubled, at least there in Austin. The offerings by Mistral and similar were of much higher quality and were priced to reflect it. At the time, racing dinghys were still popular and I was in the process of building a 505 #7321 called "One Trick Pony". Larry Tuttle's 505's were selling for $10,000.
hamiltor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: windsurfer Reply with quote

I just bought a pristine original windsurfer stored in a gals garage for the past 30 years. has the serial number etc and the teak boom looks brand new. Paid 30 bucks. not sure why I bought it, though was considering using it as a SUP (my back yard is the Willamette River.) Kinda fun just to have one again.
pierrec45

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of Windsurfer One Design in 1981?? Reply with quote

wsurfn1426 wrote:
Does anybody remember the retail price for a Windsurfer One Design in 1980-1982?

I was a teenager at the time, and now my memory is foggy. I thought it was close to the cost of a Laser, I am thinking about $1100.

Just curious if anyone out there remembers... Smile

You asking the wrong crowd, I don't even remember what I had for breakie...

Anyhow, in 1982 a Canadian version was $1250, fixed price it was. US was $1100 or $1150, if memory serves. In Australia, was $1200 or $1250, also fixed price.

wsurfn1426 wrote:
I know that in 1982, the new Bic (...)

Yes you're right, about the right that a plethora, almost a diarrhea of boards came out. Where are they now? Surely the most pleasurable of those was the Mistral ODs and Comps, but they kept changing the production every year, and killed their own business.

Windsurfer the Original was the real McCoy. I just sawed an old 30yo Windsurfer that was lying around in the backyard the other day. Incredible how sturdy they were, and still usable under 12-13 knot winds.

wsurfn1426 wrote:

I do remember the Windsurfer just got it's first aluminum boom and composite centerboard around that time.

Yes you're right, non-teak booms came out in 1980.

BTW, the Windsurfer OD is still manufactured in Australia, and sold in the US as well. See originalwindsurfer.com for details (no I don't work for 'em nor am I affiliated, etc.)

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYnxxbdCqP0 for a modern competition on those boards (plus a coppola old ones, including a 1982 model (yellow sail)). Good moves considering the strong and gusty winds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: