myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella - Unpleasantness at the Ghetto
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superkraut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Lake Isabella - Unpleasantness at the Ghetto Reply with quote

I understand that there was an altercation with waterskiers over the weekend, who blocked access to the water for the windsurfers in the Ghetto. Now we have a chance to do something about this and other conflicts in that area: VOLUNTEER!
Sue Vose and myself have just been installed as volunteers with the Forest Service in the Aux Dam area, and I have agreed to fill in at the Ghetto temporarily, until a full time camp host can be found there. Anyone want that post through September? Just think what a difference we could make if we can install one of our own to monitor, mediate, enforce and call the authorities when needed!!
Anyone interested, please contact me!!
Eva
eva at boardlady dot com
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious as to the reason for the altercation? Typically waterskiers like the morning glass and retire for the day once the wind picks up and the water is too choppy so it wouldn't seem like an on the water issue.
surfskimd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes no sense to me either. What makes for good skiing, makes for crappy windsurfing and vice versa.
This seems like 2 groups of people who should be able to get along; as they would be using the lake at different times.
superkraut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't there - Gary or David, could you illuminate? I understand that windsurfers carried their gear through a gap between parked RVs, that the occupants (waterskiers) strung tape between their units to prevent such access. Windsurfers called Forest Service, who came and had the waterskiers remove the tape - only to park trucks and trailers in the gaps the moment the Forest Service drove away.
Does not surprise me one bit: I had a friend try out my outrigger the other day. he paddled past a couple of jetskiers. "you need a motor" yelled one of them (shaved head & beer gut). "no, not really". "then you don't belong on this lake"
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superkraut wrote:
Windsurfers called Forest Service, who came and had the waterskiers remove the tape - only to park trucks and trailers in the gaps the moment the Forest Service drove away.

Everybody legitimately complains about something or another (a-holes on the water, dirt bikers in their yards, waterskiers blocking access to public places) every day, yet so few are willing to get out their video recording equipment (e.g. cameras, cell phones, video cams) to document and actually solve the problems. Video evidence is often a valid basis for complaints, to rangers and in court, yet no one wants to bother.

Mike \m/
superkraut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I volunteered - I do bother
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars, our vigilante from Eastern Washington, wants to rag on windsurfers in Southern California. Is he thinking about volunteering down in SoCal? Not a chance really. Yet, he can't help but do a "Monday Morning Quarterback" routine just to get under folks' skins.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superkraut wrote:
I volunteered - I do bother

Yup. That's why you're among "the few" I referred to. For each person like you, I've seen a dozen who won't, even when their kids' or wife's safety is at stake.

Mike \m/
madmax7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Ghetto Reply with quote

I was returning from Sherman Island Saturday July 3 due to no wind and because sensors were going off at the Lake I chose to make a "stop By" though I knew it would be very busy.

However, I have spent holiday weekends at the lake before and usually we have no problem getting access to the lake. When I got there I parked away from the water and walked over to talk to the wsurfers that were within 25 feet of the water. Wsurfers were grouping their camping.

The mood was terrible, they informed me that they were having problems with the folks that were parked by the water, their quote was "no we are not giving you access to the water, you wsurfers take over this area but not this weekend...this weekend is ours".

Thus, a couple of tarps were laid down by the rocky area in a 20 by 16 area next to some campers that gave us a little bit of room on the other side of the rocky mound. So we would walk west side of the "rocky area", rig on the 20 by 16 area at waters' edlge and go in, I thanked those campers several times for "allowing" us to share the lake with them.

I chose to leave the next morning, the mood was pretty bummed, and the lake was full of trash, I'm always amazed how even the "locals" don't respect their own community ( my girl and I went around picking up some of the trash that was left within range).

The irony was that the previous weekend I parked behind 2 large trailers of "locals" camping and they shared how much they enjoyed the entertainment that we provided for them and how peaceful we were at night. They said they quit camping by auxiliary dam because of rowdy boaters...

Maybe I can donate a weekend in September to hang out and assist...

Max
spennie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debi & I have been helping Robby, the Forest Service Law Enforcement Officer this year by reporting misdeeds by cell phone, and once by taking photos of an altercation and e-mailing them to him. If everyone does what they can to help, the Evildoers will eventually get the idea that they have to behave or leave.

White trash on Bozo Beach.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  224.74 KB
 Viewed:  19625 Time(s)

White trash on Bozo Beach.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: