myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Formula ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccyne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Formula ? Reply with quote

Anyone sail Formula and use a waist harness? I only use a waist harness and it works fine for me up to 8.5. However, I'm sailing Formula this weekend and wonder if I should try to get my hands on a seat harness for the large sails. Is there any major difference using seat that would cause a learning curve?
bviehman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun at Kashy's race this weekend. I wish I could go. I use a seat harness for racing Formula, I have tried a waist and didn't really feel comfortable or felt like I could point as high with it. Folks that use a waist, I believe a small percentage, sailing formula say they like it for rough conditions.

Short story, if you are planing on sailing formula more than this weekend I would get a seat harness for sure.

Britt
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Britt said.

Also, a waist harness can't allow you to sit in the harness enough to maximize your leverage against the huge sail. Windsurfing sails will lift you up, and the large FW sails will lift with more force. You need to get as much leverage against the sail as possible once powered up. You may be able to sail comfortably upwind in a waist harness only with additional outhaul -sometimes more than is ideal. A seat harness will locate the hook right at your hips and this is the center of your power. Your legs are then free to balance the huge board and fin combo rather than try to do that while supporting your upper body. A waist harness will demand a huge amount from your hips and abdomen when sailing on FW gear.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris,

A seat harness can give a little more comfort and performance for formula, but it can also lead you to get catapulted more while you're getting used to it and figuring out the right harness line lengths and stuff.

If you're just doing this one race and you don't have any time to practice with the seat harness beforehand, then I would stick with your waist harness. (I have sailed formula with a waist harness quite a bit and it works fine.) It's not like you're gonna catch Kashy and the other fast guys, anyway.

But if you're planning to ride formula for a significant portion of your time on the water this summer, then a seat harness would be a good investment.

Good luck!
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've talked to both KevinP and DevonBoulon, and both use waist harness when they think it's going to be up and down winds, choppy waters, and confusion out on the course. Devon solely used waist harness when he was at Berkeley 3 years ago.
I think BenBamer also uses a waist harness, mostly in practice, I haven't seen him in a race.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Devon Boulon? The might have used a waist harness for FW, but not when he was competing for more than fun.

LeeD

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say what he used in all his races, as I never watched any of the EuroPro or CalCup or modern Classic/Bridge action.
Can only say what he used at Berkeley, when he'd sail here a week at a time, during his stopovers.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If younger/more athletic, perhaps a waist will do for a brief formula event. A couple of times friends of mine have lent out their seats, had to resort to waists and come back with waist harness induced exploded back syndrome. But, that's old farts having those issues. Seats allow the larger forces to go directly to the hips and legs. Part of the racing culture that some may not be aware of is how in traveling sometimes people forget this that or other..... Don't read too much into seeing FW folks doing one thing or another briefly then thinking there's been a big revelation or something.

James, my most often suggested technique of, "don't hook in until you've got your front foot in the strap," applies especially to formula. With your weight, you could get in a strap, pump, plane, then hook no problems. My fat carcass requires a couple of pumps, most often, before I can step in the front, pump some more then plane and hook. Not many catapults are a result that way.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
LeeD

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider....
Just a couple years ago, most top PRO LEVEL Formula guys tried the idea of unhooked for all downwind action!
Now talking races, not practice.
And racing, it's not a long leg upwind, like some practice sessions or CalCups. Waist does just fine, as you see almost ALL wavesailiors and Freestyle guys use WAIST harnesses all the time.
Allows more weight on the legs, if need be, to control the board more actively over rough water and gusts/holes.
ccyne

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the waist harness served the purpose. I was able to hold down the 10.0 in winds gusting over Twenty. I did notice if I didn't have it quite tight enough or the harness lines were a little too long I could feel some lower back discomfort. Othewise, It worked just fine. I was just as fast as the others in my fleet. I just need to work on my transitions, dropping the sail really slows you down.

As luck would have it I actually won a seat harness in the raffle. However, it is way too big for me. I think I'll sail a little more formula so I will get one that fits me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: