myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Chinook Pro-1 Alloy boom question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KEEP_IT_REAL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: New Chinook Pro-1 Alloy boom question Reply with quote

Got myself a new Chinook Pro-1 Alloy boom and don't know if this а defect or should be like that, the mast grip part is turning around its axis you can do that with one hand, is that right? or is some kind of new technology? thanks
dhmark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was hoping someone posted an opinion on it. How do you like it? A lot of boom heads articulate, but that sounds too loose. Try tightening those bolts holding the boom head on until it's too tight to rotate by hand. dhmark
KEEP_IT_REAL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got it haven't tested it yet. You can't really adjust that part... only opening and closing arms can be adjusted. So i don't know if it should be loose or tight as possible (might be defected right?)
dhmark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at a picture, it looks like those bolts that hinges the door and the bolt that hinges the lever if tightened will squeeze the boom tighter. That's how the Hawaiian Proline boom head (my boom) works. If not, call Chinook, see what they say. dhmark
rswabsin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part of the boom that grips the mast is supposed to rotate or articulate vertically up or down. I have an older Chinook carbon boom which rotates as you've described but not quite as loose as yours and that's the way it was designed. With these newer booms, maybe it's intended to be looser so it can easily rotate into the correct alignment (without stressing the boom head or mast arms) when you rig your boom onto the mast an align it with the sail's clew. Try rigging up a sail in your yard and see how it all fits together. If the boom's connction to the mast is very soild even though the head can rotate into the correct vertical alignment easily - maybe that's OK. If you don't hear from Chinook - maybe call the shop where you purchased the boom and ask their opinion. I've had real good luck with Chinook equipment over the years so just based on past experience, I'd be reluctant to say it's a defect but rather an intentional design feature.

Good Luck,
Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: