myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 376, 377, 378 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately some are open to change. Mr. Gybe, would you rather try new things that don't have as all sucking on a tail pipe, or would you rather try to find clean alternates the don't have negative health and environmental effects?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/costa-rica-goes-75-days-powering-itself-using-only-renewable-energy-10126127.html
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that global demand for energy is increasing faster than increases in alternate energy production? India, China (and Germany) are building coal fired power plants at an incredible rate. That's the reality. Unsubstantiated predictions, silly articles that grossly inflate the contribution of solar, or absurd correlations with advances in technology may make you happy, but, I repeat, all credible forecasts predict that fossil fuels will dominate the energy markets for the foreseeable future. If you can produce any credible forecast that indicates otherwise, please do so.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it so difficult for people to believe a snarky spin-meister? Wait--is this a trick question?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nail_Ponder wrote:
Fortunately some are open to change. Mr. Gybe, would you rather try new things that don't have as all sucking on a tail pipe, or would you rather try to find clean alternates the don't have negative health and environmental effects?

Forgive me if I'm having a little difficulty with pious statements about tail pipes from someone who just drove from Ontario to the OBX and back to go windsurfing. Of course we would all like clean, renewable energy sources with no health effects that can meet the world's energy needs. Please tell me, what are those sources?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Nail_Ponder wrote:

Forgive me if I'm having a little difficulty with pious statements about tail pipes from someone who just drove from Ontario to the OBX and back to go windsurfing. Of course we would all like clean, renewable energy sources with no health effects that can meet the world's energy needs. Please tell me, what are those sources?

Point taken, and it looks like some friends and I will be doing the same over the Easter weekend, in my 4.8L GMC extended van at that. Now if advancements in alternatives were not snuffed by the oil industry I may have been driving something other than the gas pig.

Anyone else headed down for that weekend? Just look for the white van with custom roof rack and say hi.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes my piker 6.5 hour drive up to pistol seem like peanuts .... And the sailing is 100 times better.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP, I would ask for some credible evidence that the oil industry has snuffed alternates, but its too wearying. Earlier I did ask for you to expand on the changes you referred in the OBX. I'm interested in an outside perspective. Care to share anything?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, if you had done the OBX run in a Tesla, it would have taken you 3-4 days each way. A Nissan Leaf, about six months.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you asked me "what made me sad".

I was going to get around to it, but with 9 projects on the go....why bother.

Have you been swimming in the pool behind Lighthouse View Hotel lately? Me neither, apparently it slipped into the ocean. That used to be so nice. One thing that made me sad.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Incidentally, if you had done the OBX run in a Tesla, it would have taken you 3-4 days each way. A Nissan Leaf, about six months.

For now..... I used to do math with a pencil and paper in high school. I used to do draft plans the same way. Now I use a calculator that cost a dollar and a CAD program that cost $100, and quote on MS Excel spreadsheets. Are you like my father who uses a screwdriver for a 4 inch screw when a cordless driver is sitting on the bench right beside him?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 376, 377, 378 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 377 of 573

Jump to: