myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Camper and toy hauler setups ok to San Carlos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delwood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a 97 cummins. Sounds like we are good to go. Thanks for the reply.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends that run diesels there frequently use a Racor filter made for boats, I guess it's common for marine fuel to have water, rust flakes, etc in it. Dont think that'll help much with the sulfur problem, but it's peace of mind for your basic crappy fuel issues.
3-phase

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Pemex station I had no issues with Diesel or Gasoline on some outlets you have the usual issue with water and debris use a filter as packspeed recommends keeps the bad stuff out.

I second the going slow Laughing Laughing your suspension, tire and transmission will survive longer. You go 40 instead of 20 miles an hour your suspension will overheat and goodbye seals aka good by oil.
Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.a-h-d.com
www.select-hydrofoils.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you guys may have more money than me, or less sense.

If you want to use a setup for Baja, just leave a cheap trailer in a gringo enclave (say El Socorrito, Pedgregal, Lorenzos, etc) which is closely watched by full time neighbors -- or even at San Carlos. That way you can leave gear down in baja, my friends Rob, Glen, me, and others do just that.

That way you can high-tail it down in an old Toyota Tacoma and pick up what you need or hook up the trailer.

Have you guys thought about insurance costs? Gas/diesel for the guzzler? Breakdown on dirt roads? Driving the bloated rig on a 2 lane carriageway that is only 10 ft wide each side?

A lot in a protected development rents for around $80/mo. Another option is to buy a whole house together with some other sailors for around $30K-$70K -- about the cost of the monsters you are debating. And your wives/girlfriends/kids will be far happier -- as mine were. After 28 yrs we still have a solid house with house-size hot showers, fed power (240/120v), tel, etc (and even a Marantz stereo) that has not lost value. Could you say the same for an RV?

House Garage Side wide.jpg
 Description:
Garage has racks for about 10 boards + gear + truck + Baja bug.
 Filesize:  282.92 KB
 Viewed:  23201 Time(s)

House Garage Side wide.jpg

capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BajaVaya, how far from your house to San Carlos?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at PSC now, made it in with my 2wd chevy van pulling an "actual" 26' travel trailer, made it ok but don't particularly recommend bringing in anything that big (6000+ trailer). I took it very slow, had a couple planks to bridge 3 or 4 cross ruts. OK, van door jammed and I didn't use the planks but they would have been smart.

If it rains I will be here a long time. The road was good for me, can be very bad depending on recent weather (you can see the ruts).

SoloSports uses satellite connection, allows limited public use (good outfit!) but their satellite is sometimes down due to overuse. Mine is working fine.

Tell your wife the SoloSports provided outhouses are exceptionally clean and well maintained. Of course my wife wouldn't use them either and of course she's not here.

My first time at PSC. Before I came a friend told me that if I bring anyone to PSC that doesn't wavesail, they will hate me for the rest of their life. I love it here but I think the friend is right.

My van is a gasser because of the ULS diesel fuel issue. Have heard a lot of stories of trucks being towed all the way to US for repair. When I was shopping Dodge said a new sprinter engine would be permanently damaged with non-ULS diesel.....chevy just said the particulate filter would be permanently damaged....but EPA requires that the engine not run with bad or bypassed filter. I'm happy with my gasser, cheap and easy and quiet and does the job....for 30k mi in 2+ years.
bryb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BajaVaya,

Sometimes rigs are for more than just Baja and some people prefer to hang out at the beach already rigged where possible. For the occassional trip to Baja, real estate is not the solution for everybody when freedom to roam is desired.

Diesel filters...

Maybe look into adding a pre-filter for particulates and water just to be safe. My previous Ford PowerStroke had a good water separator/filter, but those filters are much more expensive to replace than 3rd party filters. Of course this wouldn't help with the non-ULS issue on newer vehicles.
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
Hey BajaVaya, how far from your house to San Carlos?

70 miles. I have a trailer at PSC too (green one with deck).

I did not suggest leaving a trailer in Baja as alternative to travelling US, only as an alternative to travelling Baja.

(If I cruise the US, I check in a cheap motel -- when you add up all the costs of insurance, gas guzzling, storage, maintenance, etc on an RV/trailer the motel pencils out cheaper, I find. And you don't have to wash the sheets. Finding a nearby motel in Baja is a trick; if you're looking for one in PSC, good luck. With a house in Baja, who needs to travel in the US? I don't. I have all the wind, waves, pristine beaches, and uncrowded surf spots I could possibly want. Wrestling a gas guzzler is not my idea of delight. A small, nimble gas-sipper with no gear on it, I consider fun -- a sentiment shared by my neighbors.)

BTW Last Sunday my friend Jake's Ford F250 Diesel with a huge camper quit 10 km so. of San Quintin. Had to be towed. Probably crap in the fuel (he has a super-duper extra filter, down somewhere inaccessible). Lucky he wasn't off road. Lucky he has a house at El Soc. to tow it to.

Isuzu Trooper 6.jpg
 Description:
Broken rare axle on Isuzu Trooper, 20 mi from PSC. Imagine an RV. (Boards to be left in PSC. The floater? It is often dead there, don't believe the pics.)
 Filesize:  158.77 KB
 Viewed:  23034 Time(s)

Isuzu Trooper 6.jpg

BajaVaya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryb wrote:
BajaVaya,

Sometimes rigs are for more than just Baja and some people prefer to hang out at the beach already rigged where possible. For the occassional trip to Baja, real estate is not the solution for everybody when freedom to roam is desired.

bryb, most of us with "real estate" have older RVs/trailers at our houses or storage sheds that we use to "roam." Not to mention panga fishing boats, quads, and other crap people lug down Baja, that I don't care for. The beauty is that we don't have to haul it back and forth across the border. BTW, once you have Mex "real estate" (house or permanent trailer) storage for the roaming van or trailer (and other crap) is free (except at PSC) -- I wager, Mex real estate rental for the whole house is cheaper than RV/trailer storage in the US.
bryb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare Isuzu axles aside Confused , let us know what broke on your friend Jake's F250 diesel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: