myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rig Lost off Chapin Jun 22, located but remains missing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Lost and Found
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwilly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Rig Lost off Chapin Jun 22, located but remains missing Reply with quote

I lost my rig off Chapin beach on Monday June 22 and the Mass Audubon Society located it on an island in the marsh off Grays Beach a couple days later, they dragged it to higher ground and took the attached pictures. Yarmouth Natural Resouces went to retrieve it for me the next day (Thurs, Jun 25) but it was not there. Rechecking with Audubon and Nat Res indicated the location was clearly understood and communicated. The sail is a 04 or 05 Ezzy wave 4.0 with a distinctive tear in the luff sleeve. Powerex 370 mast, Chinook wave carbon boom. I'm almost certain no one other than myself and sailing friend I know well rides that year Goya wave up on the Cape, its a 72L 2006 or 07, pic in the 2nd post shows the serial no. of the board. If anyone has any info on the whereabouts of this gear please contact me, there is a reward.

thanks,

Mark Wilson
860-350-2721

IMG00123-20090627-1153.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  565.81 KB
 Viewed:  15712 Time(s)

IMG00123-20090627-1153.jpg

Last edited by mwilly on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
mwilly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Close-up of the board serial number Reply with quote

close up of the board serial number

IMG00124-20090627-1153.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  349.87 KB
 Viewed:  15711 Time(s)

IMG00124-20090627-1153.jpg

Number-nine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stolen seems like a harsh description.
The gear is lost at sea and abandoned.
More like a ship wreak from days gone by.
Who ever has it may have a legal claim equal to yours.
This is cape cod. People here have been collecting wash up stuff for a few hundered years.
You will most likely get it back with randsom paid.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter has valid point.

I abandoned a rig, and was happy to have my life.
Getting it back would be a bonus, but i bet it happens.
When I lost mine, i basically did the math, and said that it was a cheap
trade, in a sport i love.

I would think that the rig came out on a boat lauched from Bass Hole (Gray's), and suggest you put up flyers there.

Not a poplular place for teens....but alot of fisherman who would scavenge unfortunately, fishing was very good right around then, and alot of out of towners. Birdwatchers and retirees wouldn't touch it.....Fisherman
profile......but not "stolen"....scavenged.

There is are a couple of Goya boards around like that one.

I live nearby, and if you PM me with more specifics to location, be happy take a look.

That's a lot of downhaul....bet it was windy!!!

iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any passer-by can collect it and claim "salvage rights".
I think they need to contact local authorities, but after 30 days it would be theirs to keep.

Look for it in yard sales.

Sorry for your gear loss, but you are alive!
inlandsea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will Keep my eye open for the gear,
I Left a message with Terry Clen the Harbor Master Here in Dennis.
I did also contact the folks in the town of Yarmouth and they do not have it.

I will let you know if I see or hear anything.

Glad you made it out safe from what I am sure was not a fun situation.

Philip
Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
mwilly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to ruffle feathers, stolen is probably a bad word choice (I did say "possibly stolen" so I wasn't trying to be too presumptuous). Original post has been edited.

Is is true that after some time anyone can claim rights to it? I would not have known that (I should take some vacation and go beachcombing). If anyone knows of a fisherman with my gear on his wall let him know I will make a deal.

Believe me I am totally satisfied to get out of that bind even w/out the gear but after having been personally contacted with pictures that it was located and about to be immenently retrieved I got my spirits up. The reward will be be worthwhile if anyone can lead me back to what is pretty much my most comfortable feeling hi-wind rig.

Outcast: yeah it was pretty windy that day at least when I was out. That is about the max downhaul I ever put on that rig (a bit beyond the max Ezzy DH indicator). Those 04-05 Ezzy's feel great to me that way if its windy enough. That pic shows the nice shape those sails assume even with a lot of DH (relatively full for a wave sail in the lower section for so much DH). Maybe if I'd put even more DH in it wouldn't have blown away so readily!

thanks,

-Mark
mwilly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Gear has been recovered... Reply with quote

Just wanted to put closure on this. I did get my gear back a few days ago. It was recovered by some non-local, people out doing some recreational fishing (non-windsurfers) who had it for a while before learning of my story and the thread here on Iwindsurf. They were stoked with the reward. The Internet is a wonderful thing, makes it such a small world. Just had a few pretty nice days at West Dennis (5.8-6.0 type conditions), great to be out in warm conditions.

-Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Lost and Found All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: