myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Please recommend a board in LA area
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsurfsocal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the warm reply.

erikr:

unfortunately, I don't see myself going to either Isabella or Lopez too often. maybe once a month is the most I can get. I live in LA. So most of the time, I may only have 6 hours during a weekend to spend on sailing.

So in that case, maybe cabrillo beach is my only choice here?
erikr wrote:
If you can water start, your ready for a board without a daggerboard. If not, take a few more lessons until you can. Then get a board in the 160L range and a 5.8 and 6.5. Don't bother with any smaller sails as you won't be going out on any crazy windy days until you get to jibing and can sail a board smaller than 125L. Stick to lakes to start out. I don't recommend Isabella. It's too crazy with jet skis and boats. Lopez is great, it's just a bit of a drive. Get a good set of boaties, lakes have all sorts of stuff to ruin your feet. Hook up with other sailers at your level and talk with the guys with more experience too. You will make friends that you will likely keep forever. Alwasy remember the starboard tack rule and keep it fun. There always seems to be somebody who forgets what it is all about, fun.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.peterthommen.com/pt/
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Cabrillo is a good choice, as it receives some of the most consistent wind during the late Spring and Summer seasons, you can also consider Seal Beach, Belmont Shores, Leo Carrillo, and Topanga Beach. However, the latter two spots can be a bit more challenging in light of the waves and rocks, so you might want to hold back until your skills improve over time.
3-phase

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsurfsocal wrote:
Thanks all for the warm reply.

erikr:

unfortunately, I don't see myself going to either Isabella or Lopez too often. maybe once a month is the most I can get. I live in LA. So most of the time, I may only have 6 hours during a weekend to spend on sailing.
[/quote]

Windsurfsocal,

www.windsurfdeal.com or www.clewfirst.com give lesson as well can make a real assessment from your Windsurfing abilities based on this they can recommend as well give you gear to demo and then you can buy the stuff. We see often guys show up with some gear not suited for the learning stage. A 6 hour Lesson package gear included will let you buy a more advanced board so you are don't waist money on unnecessary stuff.

Call them or just show up Saturday Sunday ask for Ron, Chris or Jurg.

Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.a-h-d.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
acctx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Please recommend a board in LA area Reply with quote

windsurfsocal wrote:
Hey, Guys, thank you in advance for your advice.

I am a beginner windsurfer, and did about 6 sessions of windsurfing last year. That was all my experiences. Now that I am moving out of my apartment to a house, with plenty of storage space, my first thought was, wow, I can finally buy some gears I wanted so long without being yielded by my wife for storing stuff in the living room....
Anyways, I plan to buy a set of windsurf rig to seriously begin to learn windsurfing. Now I need some of you guys' advice on the board choice. In LA's condition, which board do you guys recommend to a beginner to learn on? I prefer a board which can learn on, and can still be enjoyed when I progress to the intermediate level. I heard Starboard Go is a good choice. And starboard Rio. So for conditions here, which one do you guys recommend if I have to choose between these 2? Or any other choices? My budget would be below 1300$. As for whether go freeride or wave, I have not decided yet. Most possible I'll go freeride. I am not the super crazy kind of guy planning doing those fancy wave tricks. Being able to enjoy the speed and have some real fun is my goal.

Thanks again!

i weigh 165 too. I got a good deal on a 180L starboard go ($200 used). I outgrew the board after 4-5 sessions and moved to 145 carve which I have used for about 15 sessions now. The 145 is a touch big and I wish I had gotten around a 135 instead, but really it is fine.

I sold the go for around $400. Which is probably what the buyer could sell it for when he is done with it. I dont really agree with the advice to get a huge board. You could always rent the large board which would save you the money you will lose if you buy then sell it.

As a new sailor I probably wouldnt buy a new board again (the carve was new) as you will definitely ding your board. Watch the width, the newer large boards are around 65cm+ and only around 250cm long.

I havent been sailing for very long but I would say rent a large board for about 5 sessions to get your feet, you should be able to sail, tack, jibe and probably plane. You may just get into the straps and harness. Learn to waterstart as soon as possible then switch to a smaller board (around 135). That should take you for a long time.
acctx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Please recommend a board in LA area Reply with quote

windsurfsocal wrote:
Hey, Guys, thank you in advance for your advice.

I am a beginner windsurfer, and did about 6 sessions of windsurfing last year. That was all my experiences. Now that I am moving out of my apartment to a house, with plenty of storage space, my first thought was, wow, I can finally buy some gears I wanted so long without being yielded by my wife for storing stuff in the living room....
Anyways, I plan to buy a set of windsurf rig to seriously begin to learn windsurfing. Now I need some of you guys' advice on the board choice. In LA's condition, which board do you guys recommend to a beginner to learn on? I prefer a board which can learn on, and can still be enjoyed when I progress to the intermediate level. I heard Starboard Go is a good choice. And starboard Rio. So for conditions here, which one do you guys recommend if I have to choose between these 2? Or any other choices? My budget would be below 1300$. As for whether go freeride or wave, I have not decided yet. Most possible I'll go freeride. I am not the super crazy kind of guy planning doing those fancy wave tricks. Being able to enjoy the speed and have some real fun is my goal.

Thanks again!

i weigh 165 too. I got a good deal on a 180L starboard go ($200 used). I outgrew the board after 4-5 sessions and moved to 145 carve which I have used for about 15 sessions now. The 145 is a touch big and I wish I had gotten around a 135 instead, but really it is fine.

I sold the go for around $400. Which is probably what the buyer could sell it for when he is done with it. I dont really agree with the advice to get a huge board. You could always rent the large board which would save you the money you will lose if you buy then sell it.

As a new sailor I probably wouldnt buy a new board again (the carve was new) as you will definitely ding your board. Watch the width, the newer large boards are around 65cm+ and only around 250cm long.

I havent been sailing for very long but I would say rent a large board for about 5 sessions to get your feet, you should be able to sail, tack, jibe and probably plane. You may just get into the straps and harness. Learn to waterstart as soon as possible then switch to a smaller board (around 135). That should take you for a long time.
izitvindi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a surfboard!

And no, I'm not trying to discourage your windsurfing ambitions. My advice, if you only have a few hours/week to play in the ocean, is to get a surfboard too, and just pack up the car with all the relevant toys (JP, don't run with that ok?) when you go...that way, you're not sentenced to just standing at the shore wasting time....
3-phase

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a couple lessons you don't need a huge beginner board you need to get up to speed to sail a 130 liter board (aka 6 hour lesson) this will allow you to sail 150 to 200 days in Cabrillo beach a year for 3 hours a day.
Take the lesson $ 240 and then consider some $ 1800 for really good demo stuff and you will be a happy camper for a while.
Then you get hooked will change your working hours and sail every day Laughing

Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.a-h-d.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
jrr166

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello windsurfsocal! Hope to see you out there on the water!

I would recommend Alamitos Bay in Long Beach as a safe, controlled place to improve your skills. It is not as windy as Cabrillo, but you don't need to worry about drifting into the shipping channel, and the water is generally cleaner. Free and metered parking. To map it, look up 5437 East Ocean Boulevard, Long Beach, CA.

If you're shopping for a board/rig, and cost is a concern, I'd encourage you to check out next Seal Beach Swap meet. I know several beginners & improvers who got great deals on used equipment. It's a toss-up whether they'll have big boards, but there are always rigs that would be good for an improver. There are 2 swap meets a year (fall/spring); the date/time is always posted on the iwindsurf forum.
3-phase

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfsocal tomorrow (Sunday 09/0502009) from 11 I give lessons in CB some starters and 6 to 8 hours peoples, stop by I teach on the harbour side you will see the KA sails and the happy people on the board Laughing
We can chit chat a bit you go for a ride with a 145 liter intermediate board and lets see where it goes. My advies for all newbies instead of looking for deal look for the gear you really need in your stage of the windsurfing life.

Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.a-h-d.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: