myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Please recommend a board in LA area
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsurfsocal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Please recommend a board in LA area Reply with quote

Hey, Guys, thank you in advance for your advice.

I am a beginner windsurfer, and did about 6 sessions of windsurfing last year. That was all my experiences. Now that I am moving out of my apartment to a house, with plenty of storage space, my first thought was, wow, I can finally buy some gears I wanted so long without being yielded by my wife for storing stuff in the living room....
Anyways, I plan to buy a set of windsurf rig to seriously begin to learn windsurfing. Now I need some of you guys' advice on the board choice. In LA's condition, which board do you guys recommend to a beginner to learn on? I prefer a board which can learn on, and can still be enjoyed when I progress to the intermediate level. I heard Starboard Go is a good choice. And starboard Rio. So for conditions here, which one do you guys recommend if I have to choose between these 2? Or any other choices? My budget would be below 1300$. As for whether go freeride or wave, I have not decided yet. Most possible I'll go freeride. I am not the super crazy kind of guy planning doing those fancy wave tricks. Being able to enjoy the speed and have some real fun is my goal.

Thanks again!
*Matt*

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you weigh?

I sail in LA as well and am in my second year of sailing. I made a big mistake going too aggressive (133L) too soon. If I had to do it again, I would go with the Starboard Rio M (or any board less than 5 years old in the 200+ Liter range with a daggerboard). It is a great sailing board (my wife has it), but heavy for carrying around.

I ended up learning on a 160L short-board, but often wonder how much better I would be now if I had started out on a board with a daggerboard. 160L is probably the right step down after you master the 200L, which takes longer than you might think. You really need to master free-riding (tacking, jibing, water-starting) before you can even think about wave-sailing.

At 180lbs, I sail a 6.5m 80% of the time here. This may be a bit too big to learn on in afternoon winds. Let us know your weight so we can help you with the sail.

Last edited by *Matt* on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Please recommend a board in LA area Reply with quote

windsurfsocal wrote:
I can finally buy some gears I wanted so long without being yielded by my wife for storing stuff in the living room.

Um, I think that's "gelded". Wink

Mike \m/
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from Matt about a big board with a daggerboard. Rio looks great. Welcome to the best sport in the world!

I have a page of beginner / intermediate windsurfing advice and FAQs on board and sail choice, etc, here:

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2008/02/top-16-windsurfing-questions-answered.html
windsurfsocal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weight about 165 lb. Thanks.
*Matt* wrote:
How much do you weigh?

I sail in LA as well and am in my second year of sailing. I made a big mistake going too aggressive (133L) too soon. If I had to do it again, I would go with the Starboard Rio M (or any board less than 5 years old in the 200+ Liter range with a daggerboard). It is a great sailing board (my wife has it), but heavy for carrying around.

I ended up learning on a 160L short-board, but often wonder how much better I would be now if I had started out on a board with a daggerboard. 160L is probably the right step down after you master the 200L, which takes longer than you might think. You really need to master free-riding (tacking, jibing, water-starting) before you can even think about wave-sailing.

At 180lbs, I sail a 6.5m 80% of the time here. This may be a bit too big to learn on in afternoon winds. Let us know your weight so we can help you with the sail.
windsurfsocal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic blog! Thank you douglass.

Another question, where do you guys, or where do we beginners go sailing here in LA? Cabrillo beach inside was the place I went last year. Where else could I go?

I do not consider myself absolute beginner. I took some lessons in UCLA's windsurf class last year, and I did sail on the "smaller" boards they have. I think it was about 177 liter.
I even went with them to Lake Lopez once. It was fantastic over there. The lake water was warm. In the morning, the wind was good, for a beginner like me. But when it turned to noonish, the wind really picked up. It was a disaster for me. But I got to see so many good sailors literally flying across the lake. I was drooling big time. Hoping to be able to sail as fast as those guys Smile

My only problem with the UCLA program is that I live too far from them, and it took me so much overhead to just sail for 1-2 hours. I need to drive to their campus, get the gear, drive to cabrillo, rig up, sail a little bit, then drive back to their campus, then drive back home. So I determined to buy my own gear this time, to be able to go sail any time I want....

d0uglass wrote:
Good advice from Matt about a big board with a daggerboard. Rio looks great. Welcome to the best sport in the world!

I have a page of beginner / intermediate windsurfing advice and FAQs on board and sail choice, etc, here:

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2008/02/top-16-windsurfing-questions-answered.html
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seal beach
lfsk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say where you live. Cabrillo inside is a great place for beginners. Lake Isabella is good if you like to camp. Late in the summer the water is warm and the wind is more mellow than in the spring and early summer, but you do have to contend with a lot of boat traffic, jet skis, etc.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsurfsocal.

You're at an important pivotal point in your windsurfing development. You're now fully recognizing that you need your own gear to establish your independence in many ways.

Moreover, the value of lessons has to be evaluated from a practical standpoint. Lessons will not make you a windsurfer. While I never have had a lesson, and I feel that they're not really needed, I know that many folks can benefit from instruction, particularly in the beginning. Still though, one needs to ween themselves from the restrictions and cost factor associated with needing lessons forever. I've seen too many folks that can fall into the trap of being a perpetual beginner.

It's time to step out and cut a new road, one where you're in the arena calling your own shots and learning by the results. Time on the water is everything.
erikr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can water start, your ready for a board without a daggerboard. If not, take a few more lessons until you can. Then get a board in the 160L range and a 5.8 and 6.5. Don't bother with any smaller sails as you won't be going out on any crazy windy days until you get to jibing and can sail a board smaller than 125L. Stick to lakes to start out. I don't recommend Isabella. It's too crazy with jet skis and boats. Lopez is great, it's just a bit of a drive. Get a good set of boaties, lakes have all sorts of stuff to ruin your feet. Hook up with other sailers at your level and talk with the guys with more experience too. You will make friends that you will likely keep forever. Alwasy remember the starboard tack rule and keep it fun. There always seems to be somebody who forgets what it is all about, fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: