myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Flooding? Ebbing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dperzinski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Flooding? Ebbing? Reply with quote

Why does everybody love an ebb tide? Seems that everywhere I go, w/sers are always talking about the ebb. I know why you don’t want a flood at TI (it can take you away from the island), but why at Crissy? Is it the same all over the world? Do all w/sers everywhere want an ebb tide?
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ebb is going the opposite direction of the wind then:
1. You can use a smaller sail/board/fin then on a flood.
2. Takes far less skill to stay or sail up wind.
3. Usually provides easier ramps for jumping.
4. Less chance of getting washed away from your launch site because of #2.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5. Better swell.

Mike \m/
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On race gear, flood at Crissy means flat water, more speed, less terror. In the fall, ebb and a big swell makes epic riding near the south tower. The ebb drags the water back against the wind waves, and makes breaking and near breaking waves a little bigger, particularly if they are well organized.
jse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just happens to be that in the S.F. area, most areas have the wind in the opposite direction of the water direction during an Ebb. That is good. It's like taking off in a plane into the wind - less runway is needed. Similarly in windsurfing smaller sail, board and fin make for an easier sail when the water direction is counter to the wind.

There are exceptions:

- Haskins, Bullhead Flats, Candlestick all have (slightly) better conditions in a flood. However the advantage is limited as the movement of the water is far less than what you encounter at TI, 3rd, Crissy, Tomales and Delta.
- In the winter when the wind switches to NE (I think), you can sail a flood at the Jungle (near the bridge by Brannon Island), or right at the mouth of the slough and you will have identical but opposite conditions as Sherman Island in a SW on an Ebb.

Steve
bob1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current against the wind = good (per above).

It's what makes The Gorge so great -- a perpetual ebb all summer long . . . with a few easterlies for good measure.
insh8bl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifically at Crissy the ebb works for you in a few ways. However when I say Crissy, I really mean launching from Crissy, not sailing in front of Anita Rock. For me, windy is great but what I really want is big water, waves and swell. So, at Crissy, it’s all about the ebb for me. Conversely, the racer folks love a flood; it’s nice and flat for them and with those gargantuan fins, easy to stay up wind.

1.) On a strong ebb and WSW or W winds the North Tower of and outside the GG Bridge (Red Nun) can be epic at max ebb, easily mast high swell. This is the predominant reason I live in SF. The great friends, fine restaurants, year round temperate weather, and proximity to the mountains are just a bonus.
2.) Going from a flood to an ebb you can sail down to Alcatraz and ride the ebb back up to the GG Bridge. The three hour tour.
3.) Even when it’s flooding, because of counter eddies, it will be ebbing on the insides. So when it’s flooding and windy on the far side, from Crissy, 30-40+ at Angel Island, it’s actually ebbing over there and you can get ok swell. Especially in the spring and in conjunction with a south ground swell.
4.) Crissy will get that funky/gusty NW wind right along the beach in the late spring and early summer, and, it can be good when it’s ebbing strongly on the inside.

Very Happy
victor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flood and ebb are diferent for each site.

flooding is desirable at locations where the water level is an issue. you want the water level to be high enough when you come back. otherwise you might be doing a mud crawl.

flood is supposed to better at berkeley because the swell gets better. conversly, the ebb is better at crissy for the same reason. it also is much easier to sail crissy on an ebb. you don't need as much speed to plane up especially on a port tack.
dperzinski

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the great information on these posts. It sure helps my understanding of this complicated issue.

Dave P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: