myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bic Techno 2 160L for 210lbs guy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf3386

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Bic Techno 2 160L for 210lbs guy Reply with quote

Was windsurfing on Saturday and talked to a fella selling his 2006 Bic Techno 2 (2006) 160l for $500. The price seems pretty good but was wondering for a guy of my size (205 to 210lbs) if this board is too large for me (I am still using my old Bic Vivace at this point so not sure about these new boards). In particular looking for good gybing ability (was actually looking at JP x-cite). Thanks.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you going to sail it, what wind/water conditions & sail size?

Coachg
wolf3386

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the midwest here so wind is ok in spring and fall, summer is usually about 10knts or so. lakes are pretty small so not to choppy (occasional surf in Lake Michigan). As for sails at my weight and the average wind they have here was thinking at least 7.5 if not 8.0 and maybe a 5.5 or 6.0 for crazy days. Thanks
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Techno 2 160 got good reviews in the latest issue of windsurfing magazine. (I was one of the reviewers, incidentally.)

Anyway, yeah, I think it would be a great board for you at 210 lbs, and will give you a lot more planing time than the Vivace, especially if you pair it with a large sail like > 9.0 msq. (8.0 isn't really big enough for you - see the body size / sail size calculator- http://www.vims.edu/general/sailpaddle/sailcalculator.xls ) It jibes with a different style because it's wider, but once you're used to it I think you'll find it easier to stay planing through the jibe on. You might want to keep the Vivace for sails smaller than 7.5, because the Techno 160 is really meant for 7.5 - 10.5.

http://www.bicsportwindsurf.com/products/boards,3,31/techno-160,334.html

-James
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass is right on. You will need a much bigger sail then 7.5 to get planing anywhere near 10 knts.

Coachg
wolf3386

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for above responses. That excel spreadsheet is OUTSTANDING! Any feel for how the Bic Techno compares to JP x-cite for gibe ability and overall as a board? I am deeply divided. I can pick-up a used Techno 2 for $500 or new JP for $1,000.
rsanrafael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bic Techno 2 160L for 210lbs guy Reply with quote

Edit.

Last edited by rsanrafael on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
rsanrafael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bic Techno 2 160L for 210lbs guy Reply with quote

rsanrafael wrote:
wolf3386 wrote:
(I am still using my old Bic Vivace at this point so not sure about these new boards). In particular looking for good gybing ability (was actually looking at JP x-cite). Thanks.

Actually, the Vivace was a POS even when new. It's July already, get on something modern asap. The Techno sounds like a very good idea, assuming it's in good shape. After a season or two, you'll know which x-cite (or whatever) to look for. And the Techno should depreciate very little.

Whoa, you snuck that last post right by me. I'd go for the JP for a grand.
boden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size X-cite are you looking at? I'm marginally lighter than you at 195lb, and I have an X-cite 145 that is great for the conditions I sail in (mostly lake Erie, often light wind) and for my skill level, which is not advanced (to say the least). I think a more advanced sailor might want a more challenging board than the x-cite, but I appreciate its ease of use and the fact that it doesn't drop off the plane as abruptly as my other boards (120 SB Carve and smaller).
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely read what the latest windsurfing mag board test said about the JP xcite ride vs the Bic Techno 160 before you decide how to invest your $. And consider durability.

Also, keep in mind that 9.0+ sails, masts, and booms are expensive, so you might want to save some for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: