myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NPS wants to ban Kitesurfing to save the Plover
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colorit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: NPS wants to ban Kitesurfing to save the Plover Reply with quote

http://www.wickedlocal.com/wellfleet/town_info/government/x1658749155/Kitesurfers-urge-Wellfleet-not-to-ban-sport

Wow, so it's not just happening in Cape Hatteras anymore. The enviro-wackos are storming Cape Cod. I guess Florida is next.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the kiter schtick when the kite is launched and the kiter decides (?) to get dragged on his feet thru the sand for many yards. Deep gouges in the sand are left behind. The nesting plovers get chewed up in the process? How would a kiter know? Between the distractions of "hey look at me" and "oh my, this time I might get dragged into something and get hurt," why would a kiter be concerned about much else? Like the safety of others, let alone the impact on the the world and the other beach residents including endangered birds? The "I'm so cool doing this, everyone should love me," vibe doesn't come thru clear to every person on the beach.

I'm just glad that there are enough intelligent police and the like in some places to differentiate between kiters and windsurfers. Seen plenty of places where the kiting folk ruin it for everyone.
scooper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself windsurfing with kiters a lot on Cape Cod. I almost never see them fall, much less get dragged thru the dunes.
strasswimmer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: NPS wants to ban Kitesurfing to save the Plover Reply with quote

colorit wrote:
http://www.wickedlocal.com/wellfleet/town_info/government/x1658749155/Kitesurfers-urge-Wellfleet-not-to-ban-sport

Wow, so it's not just happening in Cape Hatteras anymore. The enviro-wackos are storming Cape Cod. I guess Florida is next.

things got so bad here in Miami that kiting was banned form the county beach on Key Biscayne until a private person designed a concession businesswhere everything is regulated: boueys, insurance, etc. Kiters need to be IKO (or similar) rated and insured or be on a lesson. It has reopened the beach for kitesurfing and it probably a model that others will need to follow. www.miamikiteboarding.com for more info. It actually works pretty well, even though it is a small area of beach dedicated for the sport. I say you guys up on the Cape better set up something like this ASAP or you will be shut out. MAybe even approach the NPS.
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: NPS wants to ban Kitesurfing to save the Plover Reply with quote

colorit wrote:

I believe that you should be posting this on the kitesurfing board.
Yours truly,
A windsurfer and "environmental wacko"
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that so many legislators and do-gooders can't tell a kite from a WSer (from a surfer from a snowboarder from anyone whose shirt isn't tucked in). We need to watch and learn.

Mike \m/
gsmloop2003

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I find myself windsurfing with kiters a lot on Cape Cod. I almost never see them fall, much less get dragged thru the dunes.

i can provide pics of my destroyed winshield when a kiter lost control on the beach
colorit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue isn't about kiters getting dragged through the dunes or leaving tracks in the sand, the Birdwatchers think that the shadow that the kite casts from the air makes the shorebirds think that a raptor is near and they stop breeding and feeding and hide until the shadows on the sand disappear. Kids flying toy kites on the beach and kitesurfers are all lumped together in the eyes of the NPS and the enviros. Using the NPS logic I guess kitesurfing would only be allowed at night, as long as the moon is less than 1/4 full. I posted this on this forum because I think we all need to be aware whenever anyones rights to use public resources are infringed upon.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanibel Island, FL has banned kites, but not kite surfing, go figure.
dsz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
I've seen the kiter schtick when the kite is launched and the kiter decides (?) to get dragged on his feet thru the sand for many yards. Deep gouges in the sand are left behind. The nesting plovers get chewed up in the process? How would a kiter know? Between the distractions of "hey look at me" and "oh my, this time I might get dragged into something and get hurt," why would a kiter be concerned about much else? Like the safety of others, let alone the impact on the the world and the other beach residents including endangered birds? The "I'm so cool doing this, everyone should love me," vibe doesn't come thru clear to every person on the beach.

I'm just glad that there are enough intelligent police and the like in some places to differentiate between kiters and windsurfers. Seen plenty of places where the kiting folk ruin it for everyone.

I've read some biased opinions of kiters before but this one really takes the cake. I kite but still windsurf. I don't deny that this situation never happens but it is very rare. Most kiters are aware of their sport and how to kite safely and avoid accidents AND treat the launches like gold. Yea right, dragging through a plover nest, c'mon dude. Of course accidents happen but your blanket statement is ridiculous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: