myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Newer v. Older Style Wave/BJ Boards
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donwh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Newer v. Older Style Wave/BJ Boards Reply with quote

I'm in the process of looking for a newer ('06+) wave/ b&j board to replace my trusty '00 Naish 8'5". The boards I'm looking at specifically are the JP Real World Waves which are radically shorter(~83 liter,~237 cm) and wider than the Naish (8'5", 86 ltr). East coast US mostly onshore conditions, with some b&j also when there's no waves. The Naish turns on a dime...What are the differences between the two styles, thoughts appreciated.
windsurfer7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a newer BJ from a local dealer and thought it was way over priced for what I got. I have now realized my older BJ broad is better than any of the newer models.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail a couple hours north of flwavesailor. We talked about the 2 stand out brands I discussed in my pm to you. The X-Wave or Cross from Exocet would be great for you. So would John C.'s choice of the Fanatic Freewave.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey iggy- The biggest thing you'll notice on something new is the ease of planing/stability. On the new boards, just go ahead and jam your feet in the straps while turning off the wind and hanging down on the boom. With a few mini-pumps of the sail you'll be planing in next to nothing, compared to what it took to get the older boards up and running. The next thing you'll notice, once you get your weight over your front foot, is how much drive you can get out of a turn, both in the jibes and on a wave face. And for just straight line cruising, you'll want to stand up a little straighter, even weight on both feet (if not more weight on your front foot), maybe raise your boom a touch, and lengthen those harness lines. There are definitely some subtle technique differences, and once you get the new board dialed in, you'll never look back.

Other possible board choices for your described conditions:

Tabou Pocket or maybe 3S
RRD FSW or WaveCult
Starboard Evo/Kombat/Kode
If you want to stick with Naish the GlobalWave or maybe the all-terrain

Lots of great choices out there (but the Tabou Pocket, IMO, is siiiiiick!!!)
donwh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention my "large" board is a '04 jp F/W 98 II, so I have experience with shorter wider boards. When I use it in waves, I have to work to turn it, and I find it sometimes catches a rail or digs in for a second. As I said, my Naish is smooth as silk, but it's time for something new. I'm hoping the newer board being much shorter will be as maneuverable and plane easier. At 150 lbs, the sail range should be ~4-5.8 m.
rgetchis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also add that the new age wave boards often dont require as much sail. Since I transitioned I found that I drop a sail size on most days, which makes rig handling even more fun. Initially I found it tougher to manage in higher winds but have gotten used to it. I find the new age waveboards to be soo user friendly when wave riding. Its easy to stay on a wave and turn on the back foot. The older boards were more suited for rail to rail down the line. I sail often in side-on and these new boards are a blast- very easy to keep board speed up and stay in front of wave face! It does take some getting used to, so don't get discoured in the beggining..........
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Pritchard has been the most prominent sailor who has been proclaiming, "Go big," the longest. I've been doing and saying the same at a more pedestrian level all along. Certain board designers/shapers have the talent on tap now to offer boards with massive wind ranges. Onshore shapes have to be faster to plane with higher top ends to enable a sailor to out run some pretty hoary stuff, yet they have to turn very well too. Super rockery stuff from paradise usually cannot offer the planing power nor top end that we plebeians need.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Newer v. Older Style Wave/BJ Boards Reply with quote

iggy wrote:
I'm in the process of looking for a newer ('06+) wave/ b&j board to replace my trusty '00 Naish 8'5". The boards I'm looking at specifically are the JP Real World Waves which are radically shorter(~83 liter,~237 cm) and wider than the Naish (8'5", 86 ltr). East coast US mostly onshore conditions, with some b&j also when there's no waves. The Naish turns on a dime...What are the differences between the two styles, thoughts appreciated.

Last year I switched from the '01 Naish 8'5" (85 liters) to a 2008 Fanatic FreeWave 77 (7'10", 77 ltr). The reduction in length was not noticeable on the water. The increased width was...the 77 liter board planes up much faster and stays planing in less wind than the old 85 liter. I had been hoping for a board that felt smaller than the 8'5"...I did not get it (though I'm generally happy with the purchase.) So my key note for you is: for any given wind range, you'll want a board with less floatation to replace your board.

donwh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:

"Super rockery stuff from paradise usually cannot offer the planing power nor top end that we plebeians need."

-That's why I'm leaning towards the Real World Wave.

And Michael, as I recall, you own (owned) a Naish 8'11" like I did, when I switched to the jp FSW 98 I never looked back.

Don
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my personal msg I warned you about names in WSing right now. I've tested lots of boards where the names have been misleading. Once you are logged on, check teh message center along the top of the forum page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: