myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
UCLA/LA question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many great suggestions above, but if I would recommend anything, it would not be putting all your eggs in one basket. You might have your favorite school, but it's wise to apply to a number of schools to guard against the chance that you may not get accepted. Always have an array of good alternatives.
hemmy007

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Best Windsurfing College? Reply with quote

Best Windsurfing College?

What about the best college for EE/CS, with good weather and lots of very hot coeds? Wink

Based on the details of your post, it is clear that you are NOT going to be a professional windsurfer, so you want to go to the BEST school you can get into and afford, to get the BEST education for the rest of your life as a windsurfing professional.

Even though I started windsurfing in high school, I only windsurfed during my college years over the spring break and summer when I visited my brother (who was going to LSJU at the time) to sail Santa Cruz and when I went home for winter break or Maui for vacation.

By focusing on college 100% while I was there, I was able to get the MOST out of my education and school experience (you only get to be young and somewhat carefree in college ONCE, do not miss out on all of that).

So even thought my university was only 35 miles from the beach and had many lakes on campus, I never brought my gear to school, so I would be 100% focused on the tasks at hand.

Now as a windsurfing PROFESSIONAL, I am able to have the time and money to travel to HI whenever my schedule and conditions allow and to sail the coast/bay here over 100 days a year, for the last twenty years.

You have the rest of your life to windsurf if you are successful in school and become employed where you can sail all year round. Problem is, most of the best places to WS here in the USA are also the most expensive (SF BAY, HI, etc) places to live and play.

Bottom line; the harder your work over the next six years, the easier the rest your life will be (for the most part) and the more windsurfing you will be getting over the sixty years.

If you were to ignore the above post and want a WS college, think UCSB, UCLA (Jalama only 1hr away), U HI, UCSC, UCB (second tier for WS would be Boston area or somewhere near SPI/Coastal Texas).

Best of luck.

If I were in your shoes, get the best school, with the best weather and the HOTTEST COEDS. Wink That is more important than windsurfing in the next five years, trust me.
lutehowland

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will never have the same opportunity to meet people (and girls!!) as you do when you're in college. Take advantage of it - windsurfing will be there for the rest of your life. Windsurfing is a solitary sport. Truth is I have much better memories of playing IM basketball then of windsurfing back in school, and most of your enduring friendships are made in HS and college.
You'd be much smarter to put some thought into choosing a career that will give you flexibility to go windsurfing when you graduate. You'd be a fool to waste college and then be stuck in a cubicle 9-5 until retirement...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: