myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Excellent GPS device on sale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Excellent GPS device on sale Reply with quote

The wrist-watch-style Garmin Forerunner 205 looks like a great GPS widget, and the 305 model adds a heart rate monitor function. Costco put the Forerunner 305 on sale for $160 -- cheaper than what most sources want for the 205 -- through Dec 15. Google Garmin for product info and buy it at Costco in store or on line.

Why the heart rate monitor? Training our bodies to run on fat rather than sugar can significantly extend our session and daily shred capacity, and knowing our heart rate range during exercise is a vital step in achieving that. I've also heard there are actually people who will run even though there's no ball involved, and who care enough about it to monitor their heart rates.

Why GPS? Hell, I don't know. Bragging rights? Curiosity? Tuning our rigs better? Picking better fins or faster boards? Perfecting technique? Support for debates? Preparing for competition? Calling the Coast Guard from the fog outside The Gate at night? Pinpointing shallow spots? Dry land fitness training (that running thing, I presume)? Arguing speeding tickets in court? Hiking? Orienteering? Finding the OR coast again after sailing too far out into the fog bank? X-country skiing? Tuning your jet ski or dirt bike? It's on sale and Christmas presents should be things we sorta want but wouldn't buy otherwise? Pick your excuse.

Mike \m/
FredFX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks to me like I've just found a Chanukah present for my parents to buy me =P
psmith2004

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Garmin GPS device Reply with quote

Hi Mike/Isobars,

There seem to be some posts on this site claiming the IPX7 water resistant rating of this family of Garmin GPS products just won't hack it for wind surfing particularly in salt water.

Peter
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is my concern as well.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS? Not a chance in my world. Why spend a bunch of money on something that's unlikely to add anything of substance to my windsurfing experience? I'm not convinced that bragging rights means a whole lot. I'm not saying that there's no value to a GPS device, yet I'm at a loss why I need to get wrapped up in doing a bunch of computer calculations about my time on the water.

On a given day, we all recognize those that optimize the conditions and truly stand out. That's the focus in my mind. If no one else is out, we still know whether we ripped it or not.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS device Reply with quote

psmith2004 wrote:
There seem to be some posts on this site claiming the IPX7 water resistant rating of this family of Garmin GPS products just won't hack it for wind surfing particularly in salt water.

That's certainly a real concern for people who want to use it regularly for the long haul or in salt water, period. For those applications I'd favor a more waterproof unit and/or waterproof bag, but the more robust units tend to cost much more and/or be much more bulky. A dealer told me the primary leak cause is pushing buttons while it's wet, which should be easy enough to avoid for most applications. It's got a one-year warranty, and if it lasts a whole season, maybe it's good for several seasons; if it won't, I'd expect a refund. Each buyer will need to decide whether the bigger, more robust, really waterproof units are worth their cost, and whether they want to strap a bulky bagged box to their forearm.

Near the Golden Gate Bridge, I'd be carrying a full marine-rated suite of GPS and communications gear and have the Coast Guard and Domino's Pizza on speed dial; the other functions would be mere icing on the cake. At home, I'll get my intended use out of it in a few weeks (e.g., board speed ranges for tuning feedback and simple curiosity, pulse ranges for metabolic training targeting.)

Mike \m/
sundowner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much is garmin paying you iso?
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 205. I don't use it much, but when I do, it's pretty fun to check out the results. I don't wear it on my wrist, I bag it instead.

My girlfriend borrowed it while training for the last 1/2 marathon she ran. She saw some very noticeable benefits, even w/out a heart rate monitor. Having instantaneous pace measurements forced her to stay on track and within a certain training zone. This resulted in a much stronger performance on race day, and much less fatigue the day after.

If I ever resort to running or cycling to stay in shape, I'll definitely wear it.

You've gotta wonder, in sports like swimming or running, where very little "gear" has changed (with respect to swimsuits or running shoes), how do people keep breaking world records? I'd argue that it's better training, based on things like heart rate monitoring, gps use... probably better knowledge of sports nutrition, too?
spyder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the GPS thingee's are cool for about the first 2 or 3 times you use them.
after that, they lay around collecting dust..

I can't even find mine now... probably laying in the same spot where the bluetooth is (another waste of $).
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spyder wrote:
the GPS thingee's are cool for about the first 2 or 3 times you use them. after that, they lay around collecting dust.. I can't even find mine now... probably laying in the same spot where the bluetooth is (another waste of $).

That's why I'm not too worried about a GPS system's longevity; I expect to use it only rarely. OTOH, using a cell phone while driving in WA is a primary offense, as it should be, so bluetooth is not optional.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: