myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
popular windsurfing webpage?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=koLLac=-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: popular windsurfing webpage? Reply with quote

I was wondering if there was a page that had it all...all the news from various competitions, gear reviews, editorials, a large forum with an active member base...

...I don't know f you've ever seen www.newschoolers.com but that place is buzzing with activity (newschool skiing, though). Maybe it's just the fact that I'm quite young but an awesome go-to-for-everything page would greatly increase my level of excitement about the sport during times of excessive work (public accounting), or in the winter.

Or even sailinganarchy.com for boat sailors...that place can keep me occupied for hours...is there a similar page for windsurfing?
btbill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on the windsurfing side there appears to be a "collection" of sites which gives you your daily morning fix. I usually start on OBX Beach Life Blog (a little bias though with this starting point?! Very Happy ) which includes a number of widgets containing links, and live feeds from different windsurfing, and weather sources. Though most of the info is specific to Hatteras. From there, or other starting points such as setting up an iGoogle custom portal, you can find your way into the various forums from IWS, to Windsurfing Mag, rec.windsurfing, etc... along with the latest community blog updates. Once into the blog realm, those using BlogSpot usually have the BlogRoll enabled which gives even further connection to recently updated windsurfing blogs around the world.

Basically, within a few clicks and about 30min, you can take a fairly robust tour of the latest happenings within the windsurfing online world! I start in Hatteras, see what is happening in New York, head over to Maui, come back to Hatteras, head into the mainland, then head off to the UK, maybe a stop in Malta, and finish up on one of the forums. All this before I have to refill my coffee, and attend my first morning conference call.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also enjoy checking out the blogs to see what's going on in the world, but I usually start with http://lostinhatteras.blogspot.com Laughing

Great sources for news include this forum, some of the magazine forums (like windsurfing mag, boardseeker mag, boards.uk, etc), and then there's a few all encompassing sites, like:

http://www.continentseven.com (mostly freestyle biased)

http://www.offthelip.us (mostly wavesailing biased)

http://www.windsurfjournal.com (all encompassing, but you need to speak french, since the English reading population didn't support the site's advertisers enough to warrant translation) Crying or Very sad (not to imply that I'm not guilty of not supporting them)(wow, triple negative!)

http://www.lbwindsurfing.com/ (mostly longboard sailing biased)

Happy reading!
kajTEK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boardseekermag.com

(love the jem hall techiniques pages!)

and a great boardseeker page that really ties ws all together:surfer girls!

http://www.boardseekermag.com/windsurfing_lifestyle/Boardseeker_babes/boardseeker-babes-01.html
ron.c

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the boards forum in the UK. It has it all.

RC
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another idea, although apparently heretical these days: add more physical and/or mental activities to your life. I've always had so many activities going on that there aren't enough hours in the day or week or year for them, let alone hours for watching or reading about others having fun. Windsurfing, skiing, snowboarding, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, football and volleyball (playing, not watching), SCUBA, swimming and high diving, 4-wheeling, gym, writing, fighting corporations and lawyers trying to screw us, managing and maximizing personal finances, keeping all the toys in good working order ... I finally had to retire early to make room for all the IMPORTANT stuff.

Some of my WSing buds drive themselves nuts watching forecasts all winter; I just change gears and do other stuff, most of which challenges and develops mind and/or body. I guess the bottom line is that if we entertain ourselves rather than relying on others to entertain us, we'll never run short of things to do. It also increases our capacity and lifespan to keep doing more ... stuff.

But if I had the time to read websites, one of my first would be Guy Crib's technique site at http://tinyurl.com/4hugc6 .

Mike \m/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This from the all-time record holder for online windsurfing commentary!

Mike...obviously you make SOME time for your digital existence! Though I support the idea of doing as opposed to watching.

isobars wrote:
Here's another idea, although apparently heretical these days: add more physical and/or mental activities to your life. I've always had so many activities going on that there aren't enough hours in the day or week or year for them, let alone hours for watching or reading about others having fun. Windsurfing, skiing, snowboarding, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, football and volleyball (playing, not watching), SCUBA, swimming and high diving, 4-wheeling, gym, writing, fighting corporations and lawyers trying to screw us, managing and maximizing personal finances, keeping all the toys in good working order ... I finally had to retire early to make room for all the IMPORTANT stuff.

Some of my WSing buds drive themselves nuts watching forecasts all winter; I just change gears and do other stuff, most of which challenges and develops mind and/or body. I guess the bottom line is that if we entertain ourselves rather than relying on others to entertain us, we'll never run short of things to do. It also increases our capacity and lifespan to keep doing more ... stuff.

But if I had the time to read websites, one of my first would be Guy Crib's technique site at http://tinyurl.com/4hugc6 .

Mike \m/

-=koLLac=-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Here's another idea, although apparently heretical these days: add more physical and/or mental activities to your life. I've always had so many activities going on that there aren't enough hours in the day or week or year for them, let alone hours for watching or reading about others having fun. Windsurfing, skiing, s....

Good point and I certainly agree. I am not sure what I'd do without skiing, mtn. biking, road biking, rollerblading, volleyball (I was captain of my hs team...I'm from Europe, we don't only play football), racing sailboats, hiking, riding motorcycles...well, you get it...this is not a full list.

However, between working as an auditor and studying for my CPA license (which at this point is an about 80 hour/week commitment...although if I pass a part on Saturday I will only have 1 more left), I don't have much time at all to actually get out. So when I'm spending the night at some hotel and I am just sick of studying...I'd rather read about the things I love doing rather than stare into the box and be disgusted with reality TV or politics.

So thank you all, isobars including, for the nice input. I'll check these pages out in about a month and a half when this exam madness is over...of course, if I pass, haha.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
This from the all-time record holder for online windsurfing commentary!

Mike...obviously you make SOME time for your digital existence! Though I support the idea of doing as opposed to watching.

My online time is <5% reading, >95% writing ... i.e., doing ... and writing is almost much fun as windsurfing. Besides, Steve Chandler posts more often than I do; he just got a late start.

Mike
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-=koLLac=- wrote:
I am not sure what I'd do without skiing, mtn. biking, road biking, rollerblading, volleyball (I was captain of my hs team...I'm from Europe, we don't only play football), racing sailboats, hiking, riding motorcycles, working as an auditor and studying for my CPA license (which at this point is an about 80 hour/week commitment, spending the night at some hotel ...

...I'd rather read about the things I love doing rather than stare into the box and be disgusted with reality TV or politics.

DOOOD ... how about some SLEEP? Wink

I can see I was preaching to the choir. Never mind; your initial post led me to suspect you may be one of today's virtual kids who need to be spoon-fed their lives.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: