myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What should be my next boom?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broadreach70

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: What should be my next boom? Reply with quote

I'm in need for a new boom. I had HPL/Fiberspar carbon in the past. I liked the HPL feel and I liked the stiffness of both but both didn't last that long for me. I want to try another boom that will last longer and I don't care much about the price. Just want it to last long. What do you guys think of Streamline booms?
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui Sails boom.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realwind makes a really strong, lightweight carbon boom. I have one in the Gorge and one at home. They work for skinny or regular masts with no shim and are excellent quality.

they clamp really tight, but have an easy design compared to Chinook. They are also extremely stiff.

Go to: Realwind.com for info

Chinook makes great aluminum booms for around $170. Great deal for the money.
wandrian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that. I just bought a Maui Sails Carbon boom (140-200) after my old Arrows carbon gave up the ghost. It is extremely well made and very stiff, even when extended out to 183. It does not have that modern shape like on the Aerons, Streamlined or Naish booms, and is quite narrow to the sail, but I don't find that an issue. It is also $60 cheaper than the Streamlined.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to also side wholeheartedly with the Maui Sails carbon booms. It's monocoque design, being free from any bond joints, is super stiff, and the Maui Sails front end is arguably the best design on the market right now. I have the 170-230 wave model, and it's my core boom for my 5.0-7.1 sails. I also upgraded my larger HPL to incorporate the Maui Sails front end. The performance difference is simply incredible.
windsurfer7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maui sails boom without a doubt...you wont ride anything else after
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been partial to Chinooks for years. Their long throw clamp works great, they're tough, very stiff, easy to adjust, tailpiece works very well, and around here I can often find deals on them.

HOWEVER .... I'm buying another Maui Sails booms next time. They're better in every regard with one very minor exception: getting their stiff, split mast cuff over the Skinny mast pad/shim is sometimes a bit of a hassle; three hands would help.

Mike \m/
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size boom are you looking for?

In the Wave sizes, the Maui Sails carbon booms are a little narrower than say a Chinook aluminum boom. I personally really like this bend, but for people who rig their sails really full or want to rig 5.5+ sails on a 140 boom body, the MS boom can be a little narrow. If you like a wider boom bend, you should consider the NP X9. If you like a narrower bend, then the Maui Sails carbon boom is really nice. The Streamlined boom bend is also on the narrow side.

If you're looking at more of a slalom size, then the Neil Pryde X9 and Maui Sails carbon boom bends are more similar.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
geffert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend 4 booms depending on your budget/preference:

The Maui Sails Carbon booms are certainly stellar. ( ~$600). The boom heads are extremely stiff, which folks like racers definitely love. Some, b&j sailors find the head too stiff in that the all of the impact is absorbed into the mast. If you want a still boom with a bit more flex in the boom head, the Chinook carbon boom (triple clamp head) is a fine choice.
If you're looking for a cheap option, the HPL continuous aluminum boom is extremely stiff (hard to tell the difference from carbon) for an aluminum boom since the front end is one continuous molded piece of aluminum. It's a stellar lower priced option. (~$180).

Finally, Naish makes a continuous aluminum boom with a carbon tail piece. The stiffness is great, and the carbon tail end gives the boom a lighter swing weight but high durability even when the arm is fully extended ($350).

Good luck with your decision,
-Rebecca
Boardsports School & Shop
www.BoardsportsSchool.com
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic aluminum worx great for the $$$$

http://www.aerotechsails.com/booms08.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: