myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hurricane Ike POWER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Hurricane Ike POWER Reply with quote

Rippers,

Any of you Texas sailors planning to chase Ike? We've sailed numerous hurricanes from Memphis, including Katrina and Ivan. As long as you are on the West side, the rains are light and the tornado threat is reduced.

I have three sailors prepared to hit the road Friday afternoon for Texas.

I thought we could start a thread to watch the storm and try to predict the best lake action, calling on local knowledge. Sailing the Gulf in these conditions is not wise, unless we could get there well ahead of the storm and we can't.

If the storm will take a trun to the North, Toledo Bend Res. or Sam Rayburn Res look EXCELLENT. Long NW fetch would create huge waves at the south end of either lake.

If anyone is interested, post here or send me a PM with your cell so we can try to meet for an EPIC session.

This post also goes out to the OKC crowd at Hefner. We had a great weekend slashing with you guys last fall in 35 knots. Great surf scene in OKC!

RIP
amarie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The waves are looking pretty big already on the surf cam: http://www.corpusbeach.com/portacam2.htm

We surfed yesterday (no wind), and it totally rocked. Most of us have at least a 4-day weekend, so still no work today and we're planning to head to the beach (in corpus). I'll report back on what happened today if we actually get to windsurf.
davidcoombs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: NTWR race Saturday Reply with quote

NTWR has a race and party planned for Saturday at Lake Ray Hubbard, Windsurf Bay Park (east side of Dallas). Looks like there will be plenty of wind, but also 100% chance of rain and high probability of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Come on down and see NTWR.org for more info.

Summer Race Day & Party
Date: September 13, 2008
Time: Skippers meeting at noon, Bar B Q dinner at 4:45

We will have a fun fleet course for beginners
Cost: $10 includes dinner
mwood5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Party was postponed until tomorrow, I think. There were about 20 of us out there today and the sail sizes were typically in the fours. Some guys had some larger boards with a tad more volume and were rigging 4 to 4.2's but others tried smaller (sub 80 liter) boards with 4.5 to 4.7 sails. The conditions were fairly gusty, but still pretty fun. The rain was starting to come down harder around 1:30 and a lot of guys started leaving...me included.

later,

m
jordanwd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the furtunate few who dodged the bullet and were in SPI...

http://forums.surf-station.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=d05d98cf885b231248ed18a60e7765a7;act=ST;f=11;t=24985
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: