myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
F2 Axxis 270 1993?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
show

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: F2 Axxis 270 1993? Reply with quote

I'm finding alot of good reviews on the ~10 year old Axxis line from the late 90's. Lots of people like them and still sail them.

I'm 215 and sail on the SF bay with a 115l synchro.

I'm ready for a smaller, more nimble board when the wind and chop picks up, and have found an F2 Axxis 270 that looks to be in good shape in a photo.

Is this 15 yr old board as rideable as the 10 year old Axxis?
Anything to watch out for?
Mast track position?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what little I recall about the early '90s version: very fast, crisp -- bordering on harsh -- ride, good jiber, lousy footstraps, incredibly slippery deck. I don't remember where its mast track was. But since one can buy much newer boards for the same number of peanuts, why choose one so old? It was good, but not great. I liked it somewhat better than our expert testers, but I don't recall why; I suspect they found it not especially maneuverable, as I wasn't worried about that back then. I've not tested the more recent Axxis.

Mike \m/
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just measured our purple colored antique 270Axxis and it was 60 cm wide, a revelation on such a short board for '94 or so.
SunsetSlalom was also right at 60cm wide, and it was a true classic.
Screamers of that vintage, with square tails, were 58cm wide, but the label said "55.5cm". They missed.
Flows of 103 were closer to 59cms.
So you liked the Axxis because it was wider than normal, with a wide, almost 15" tail, and it was easy to sail, had lots of direction up and downwind, was stable, and planed easily out of jibes.
Not a horrible old board.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
SunsetSlalom was also right at 60cm wide, and it was a true classic.

And to think they go unsold at $10 at swap meets while novices pay $1,800 for new boards -- and complain about the exorbitant cost of gear.

Mike \m/
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I'm the junkman of old gear, so I'm not surprised tons of older gear is regarded as total nonusable junk to some newbie sailors...newbie as in they weren't good in the old daze, so they think the equipement back then was at fault.
I picked up a TigaCarve250 for FREE, as the club threw it away, it sat in the rigging astroturf for ONE MONTH, and nobody else even looked at it.
Older slalom boards I can understand, as nobody wants to go fast and carve jibes anymore.
Older slalom sails, also, get tossed and lay around here for weeks without anyone even bothering to look whats inside the sailbags. I picked up a brand new Noa111 and EzzyAxxis that was laying around over 2 weeks!
Oh well, good for me and you, bad for everyone else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: