myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boom regripping SF Bay Area?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's instructions to DIY.

http://www.windvisions.com/regrip.html
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer I had Derek at Delta Windsurf Co. re-grip my Maui Sails boom. Rather than using the Maui Sails grip, he did it with Chinook's black grip. The job came out very nice. The price was $125.
mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another set of instructions at http://www.calema.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=117
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Last summer I had Derek at Delta Windsurf Co. re-grip my Maui Sails boom. Rather than using the Maui Sails grip, he did it with Chinook's black grip. The job came out very nice. The price was $125.

That seems like a reasonable rate to charge for boom regrip... $60 would be like highway robbery! I think it took me about 1.5-2 hours to grip a boom... and another couple hours to degrip and prep the boom for gripping. Total PITA!!!

That said, it's nice to have new grip! The Calema article is very good.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
tthole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I forgot, for the $60 rate at Helm of Sun Valley in San Mateo that was labor for a boom that was already preped. I pulled off the grip and did a lite sanding of the old glue to clean up the surface of the boom arms and Helm did the rest. It sounds like Derek did everything, but for me Helm was just a closer drive than the Delta.

Tim
colonwk1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: To Kevin K Reply with quote

Hi Kevin - was speaking with you at the Chrissy Swap meet and you introduced me to a guy in the east bay the is doing booms. Could you send me or post his contact info. colonwk@gmail.com. Hope you had a good trip down south!
cbknap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

input from another DIY'er:

Normally there is no need to recover the entire boom unless you have the (bad) habit of dragging the boom across your nonskid when you waterstart.

Especially on Fiberspar Carbon booms, the grip tends to peel up where your fingers rub against the inside seam. You can save the boom for several years just by neatly re-gluing the peeled up areas using waterproof contact cement.

Once it becomes too frayed to fix, use a razor blade to neatly cut out the damaged areas, always in a rectangular shape, scrape/sand off the old glue and rough carbon tubes with 150 grit paper.

Cut out an identical rectangular patch, making it about 1/16" larger than the area where it will fit. Coat both boom and grip with THREE COATS of contact cement (letting each coat dry). Apply repair patch from the INSIDE OUT---for longest wear you want the seam on the outside--not the inside where your fingers will fray it. Use a 1" dowel as a roller if you don't have the rubber roller. Trim edges with new razor blade.

These repairs will last longer than the original grip.

--chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: