myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sailing a paddle board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icesailing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: sailing a paddle board Reply with quote

i just got a new starboard mr. easy paddle board. comes with a very small fin. ok to paddle on flat water lakes. i got out on the ocean and realized i needed a bigger fin. i used a 12.5 hawaii fin/rainbow fin co. worked great. to finish the day i figured id go sail this thing at hampton harbour. i knew i got this for light wind so i wanted to sail my 9.0 on it. i added a couple of 3.5 side bytes fins. so now im using a tri fin set up. this worked great i sailed with no spin out. ripped in light wind and kept upwind ability. will be great in small waves. a big change from being use to windsurf fins to useing surf fins. you got to experiment with your gear.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, experimenting with gear is fun! As is sailing a SUP on a mediocre day. Man you'll catch so many good waves once you get the hang of it! Razz

Here's some advice from my experience:

Ditch the big rig in the waves and take out a 5.0 or 6.0 wave sail regardless of wind strength. Having something light and maneuverable is worth losing a bit of power, especially if the waves are starting to get any bigger than ankle slappers. Easy uphauling and light feel in the hands will keep you out there a whole lot longer than wrestling a big heavy rig. And trust me, you'll catch just as many waves with the small rig!

Along the same lines- make sure your stuff is wave rated. Use RDMs and wave sails, as opposed to SDMs, tube battens, and cambers. Those big boards will put an awful lot of stress on your rig if you get caught in the wrong orientation, so plan ahead, and use strong stuff (that's hopefully still under warranty). Rolling Eyes

Have fun out there!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIvGXLznh2w

Keep in mind, the more onshore the wind is the harder it is to get enough juice to get out, or to catch waves. Long boarding in waves is good, no matter what you choose to do. Just make sure you don't break stuff or get frustrated. Start out humble and work your way up.

Been out with the kit you see in the video when the wind goes one way or the other from optimum. Rarely will I go in and re-rig, unless it seems sustainable. Long boards allow larger wind ranges of sails, provided you've got the power to make past the impact zone. NC has lots of launches to find side to side off. HI has reefs with channels. Those places it's easier to get out. If you've got what I'm stuck with, more sail power allows you to get past the surf zone.

Skinnies and rod battens are important. As are sails that are constructed for some slamage. Lookm for sails that have extra reinforcements, including an extra row of stitching to hold the mast sleeve onto the sail.

The lighter the wind is the later you have to grab waves. Been out dropping in at about the same spot as surfers when it's really light, even inside of prone long boarders. Cheers.
icesailing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: sail and paddleboard Reply with quote

i don't know about undersizing my sail I'm 228lbs and think ill need the juice from a 9.0. I'm using a retro ive had for a few years. if it breaks oh well. i planned to use it and a 7.7 or 7.2. im not ridding monster waves. at least not yet. and when the wind really kicks on ill be on my carve board. i wish i was lighter and could use the typical wave gear but that just wont work for me. big guy problems. the launch gets a little squirrely there's no foot straps and nothing to really hang on to except the rear fin.
jordanwd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ i'm w/ you..i'm still learnin my long board..luckily all our conditions are side to side off w/ descent surf.. i've tried sailin undersized sails..but to be honest, if you're not doing tricks or sailing backwinded on the wave face then more power of a bigger sail will be an advantage... it allows more speed backside so you can pivot and carve down the line w/ enough speed to hit off the lips and cut backs.. just my humblre opinion...
outcast

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont get it at all guys, if you are going to use a 9.0 in the surf, why not hook it up to a 130 liter free ride and motor? If you are going to surf a longboard, then keep the sail smaller so you can move around on the board, (as well as move the sail around) I'm 200 and max out on a 6.2, anything higher and it's flat water for me.
Plus, yes, eventually you will fall, and yes, you will bust a sail and mast at that size
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 7.5 Phantom goes on a RDM 460. I've gotten sheet loads of waves with it on the Kona 11'5 and not had many problems. 9.0 is a handful, done it from time to time with great caution. I don't want to go that big for handling purposes as well as the fragility factor. Lighter cloths have contributed to the applicability for using larger sails, for sure. Cuben has been good for me....

It would be ideal if I could use a 6.2 or smaller, just not practical with all the onshore pushy surf and light wind combo's we get in FL. Also, no reefs with channels nor point breaks with side off. If yo are happy sailing about with a long board and small sails, and don't get eaten alive in the impact zone, or frustrated with the lack of juice front side, then go to it.

When asked by newbies, please let them know all the possibilities, not just your schtick. :~) Dogma(s) has contributed to our sport's current state of near obscurity, IMHO.
icesailing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: sail-longboard Reply with quote

i figured the reason for the longboard was light wind 10-20 small waves. when the wind picks up to top end on the 9.0 ill use my carve 140 ltr.
icesailing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: sail- longboard Reply with quote

do they make a rdm 490.
jordanwd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nolimitz.com/nl_products.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: