myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hatch Lies 3 - The Resurrection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
HomeValley CAN be harder given it's unusual launchs and less friendly sandy beaches

No offense, alright LeeD, but are you ESL?
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence taken, I'll explain......
When you sail Hatch, Swell, Dougs, there's almost always a buncha guys rigging and sailing, so you have an idea whatsa haps.
Go to HomeValley most days, and maybe no one out, maybe 3 on the other side of the river. Sure it's wider, swell is smaller, current is less, wind is less strong.
But try choosing the right sail, the right board, for the whole expanse of that reach. You're on your own, you gotta make the right choices, and if you make a mistake there, the less friendly LANDINGS down river can make for more harrowing experience than just ending up at Swell from Hatch due to overrigging or non planing.
stevenieve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good advice.

Now can you tell me in local gorge: 'advanced' is what skills? Someone said new hook launch is int-adv? I did not think so. Lots of weekend warior types there. I though Int. meant 100% on one type of jibe (but in planing and non). I saw only people crashing there. Some still uphauling.
stevenieve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good advice.

Now can you tell me in local gorge: 'advanced' is what skills? Someone said new hook launch is int-adv? I did not think so. Lots of weekend warior types there. I though Int. meant 100% on one type of jibe. I saw only people crashing there. Some still uphauling. Some people on beach at event site say they are advanced too.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, after shortboarding for 25 years, working in busy shops for 22, I still can't catagorize sailors according to their skill level.
Itsa tough call, and downgrading their status belittles them, and upgrading their status might inflate their egos.
Also, most sailors sail only ONE or two catagories in windsurfing, or at least excell in one or two.
AntoineAlbeau notwithstanding, as he's an excellent wave sailor in addition to his other excellent skills in windsurfing.
Lets see.... you gots back and forth - freeriding
Slalom Racing
bump and jump
" " slashing
wave sailing wave riding
" jumps and tricks
Speed trials
Formula
Freestyle
Non planing freestyle (just threw it in, as it takes a
really lot of skill)
I'm sure I missed a few.
I'm pretty sure there's not enough daylight or wind for most of us to excell in most of the aforementioned catagories that reside in what we call "windsurfing".
I'd say a pretty good sailor is one who can look good and do well in at least 3/4 of the above catagories. Pretty good sailor maybe being close to advanced/expert, but of course, far far from PRO level.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest these criteria as qualifications for sailing just about any Gorge venue in "normal" 20-30 mph average gusting into the 30s:
1. A reliable waterstart in very windy, gusty conditions and chopswell up to chest high.
2. Ballpark-appropriate gear.
3. A self-reliant mindset (shore is always within swimming reach, even way out east).
4. The brains God gave a Labrador retriever.

Everything else is icing on the cake.

Mike \m/
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advice, as always, especially the last....
We can never stop ourselves from ourselves.
An inkling of common sense is worth a passel of inordinate skills.
You can have great natural ability, but give me a working brain anytime.
As an aside, I gotta relate my story about FAT DAVE.
He's an ex-bud of mine, took him to PuntaAbreojos in head high surf at the FedMarine base. He and JasonOchland were UPHAULING in the surfline, both not having a clue to waterstarts. Dave rode a Marker1 (11'6" 200 liter square tail) and Jason rode a 10'6" transition board.
During the sets, whitewater would crash OVER their heads, while they were uphauling. No, it didn't knock them down. No, they didn't want or need any asistance. And yes, that first day, they both got epic 300 yard rides down the line all the way to the closeout beachbreak.
That is APPLYING common sense and thoughful strategy to a very trying windsurfing condition.
stevenieve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for a good start isobars. Would like to hear more.

Mr LeeD: You have over 200 posts in a month or so with new account? Is that true?
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, why not.
Better learn something while I'm still on here.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
pacspeed wrote:
every time you refer to sailing 3.5 sessions 12 hours non stop

As you well know, you're lying.

Mike

It's called paraphrase.

Your post, from one week ago:

isobars wrote:
... I am in a highly altered state of consciousness when everything falls together, and just go on and on and on and on -- as though I were typing -- for hours, until darkness brings me back to reality. Some days the clock simply stops when I launch at 6 PM, not to start again until I can't see either shore any more at 9:30 ... and that's after a whole day of mostly sailing...

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: