myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Using full amount of mast extension - bad for mast?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Using full amount of mast extension - bad for mast? Reply with quote

I just switched to a new shorter mast which requires that I use much more extension height than I am used to.

I am using the 2nd highest position on the mast extension, which leaves only 4 inches or so of extension going into the bottom of the mast.

I'm a little concerned - with so little extension inside the mast, am I putting too much pressure on the bottom of the mast - possibly causing it to prematurely break the bottom of the mast?

Is this a bad idea, or is it totally fine?
pacspeed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it all depends on the mast, and afaik, none of the mast manufacturers are also extension manufacturers. I run my Chinook skinny at full extension in my Triana 400, but those are both premium brands with good QC. If its some Chinese EFWU/Autima junk, I'd be a little more nervous. P'tickly since I just broke an Autima skinny a few weeks ago, sheared the ferrule right off on a (waaaaaaaay) under rotated backloop.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conditions and Carbon content of the mast will be important factors. I have used both an Arrows Air Base and A.R.T. base which only provide 2 1/2" inserted extention in the mast, but I use them with all Epoxy masts.

Last edited by speedysailor on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:11 am; edited 3 times in total
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That much extension adds to the variation of what may ideal. I have found using the most mast and least extension for the actual body of the sail to be best. Also, bases have been known to bend or break in heavy washings in the surf. I think some masts tend to be stronger vs that type of abuse, yet breaking a base ext is cheaper than a mast, so it's a hard call.

For sails that respond better to a softer mast, it more important to pay attn to whether the base is stiffer or has the same bend as the mast. For sails that like a stiffer bend down low, there are more options. Trial and error will get you where you need to be. Turn a late wind vs forecast or an all out skunking into a tech fest with others on the beach. Mix and match masts and such to find better combo's. See what happens when you rig on too soft or too hard a mast, so that when the wind does become ideal, you've got more knowledge.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Nolimitz warranty:
"The following actions will void your warranty:

* Inserting less than 6” of a mast base extension or extending the mast base extension to more than 12”. "

And that's for one of the strongest masts on the planet.

Mike \m/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSA all the way. Just Sailing Along. Interacted with too many weasel worded warranties to want to say much else.
JRuffus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacspeed...for that Autima you broke at the ferrule..they had some faulty ferrules fYI..that was a defective mast. the new ones are now made in italy and are redicoulsy good...
JFred

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea... I got a 430 + 460 through a "buddy"......... the 460 broke when I rigged it for the first time....on a 7.0 in the driveway...the 430 lasted 3 times. I got a new 430 that has been great... but the 460 is still here.... I wish I could have a new one..WHAT THE FUCK??? Is anybody going to stand behind their product Brokie? Evil or Very Mad When was the last time you windsurfed? GAF
JFred

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure your sleeping...after your first beer + smelling the second..What a waif....
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pounding surf is one thing, flat water another. Carbon content is important. The less carbon, the less brittle, the less likely to snap. The long Chinook extention allows 5" inches to be inserted at the longest setting, 18". I use 40 cm or 16" inches of extention with the Loft O2 9.6 sq. meter sail and 60% Carbon Pacific 490 mast which allows 7" or 18cm to rest inside the mast. I've sailed about 25 sessions with it, mostly flat water but some choppy waves at blasting speeds with no sign of stress . Monte Spindler had this to state concerning the issue: "The O2 9.6 on a 490 needs 42cm of extension- if your extension is less than 20cm inside your mast you risk exposing your equipment to a possibly damaging situation!" Now, Monte lists a 490 as an alternative mast for this sail. If the mast needs 42 cm and the longest extention available at that setting only gives you 15 to 16 cm of inserted extention, why would you list a 490 as an alternative mast? Of course if you sail waves and pounding surf, you are taking greater risks of breakage than I.
jingebritsen wrote:
I have found using the most mast and least extension for the actual body of the sail to be best.
How did you come to that conclusion? Empirically, through experience or from reading about it?
jingebritsen wrote:

For sails that respond better to a softer mast, it more important to pay attn to whether the base is stiffer or has the same bend as the mast. For sails that like a stiffer bend down low, there are more options. Trial and error will get you where you need to be. Turn a late wind vs forecast or an all out skunking into a tech fest with others on the beach. Mix and match masts and such to find better combo's. See what happens when you rig on too soft or too hard a mast, so that when the wind does become ideal, you've got more knowledge.
I've come to the conclusion that this is a very moot point. For an overwhelming majority of windsurfers their enjoyment won't be effected by the variations found here. If they notice the differences and can afford to mix-and-match, they belong to the exceptional few.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: