myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter wetsuit for OBX
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Winter wetsuit for OBX Reply with quote

I sail the OBX frequently during the winter, usually in the sound at Nags Head. Jan/ Feb the sound temps get into the 40s.......air temps can be around 40 degrees F...........it blows hard (30 knots plus a lot). I have been using a Bare Drysuit but the neck seal has ripped.....it will cost $100+ to repair when you include shipping. I'm considering switching to a wet suit and would prefer one that I can use when it gets a bit warmer, before the shortie comes out. Since the sound is shallow I spend very little time in or under water. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Frank4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix the drysuit, and get a wet suit to fill the gap. I think you will miss the Bare, it's nice to be warm and safe in the winter, even in a shallow sound....Drysuit, 4/3, shortie, board shorts works for me.
btbill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail the OBX year round and wear a 5/4mm Bare wetsuit. Its about 2 years old now, but is a great suit which works from the coldest days we get here, to just before the shortie gets wet. The comfort level is quite nice too since the rubber is that super stretchy material which lessens upper body fatigue. The only downside is removing the suit when its blowing 25+mph and the air is 45 degrees! However, I usually simply wear the suit home and remove it while in the hot water outdoor shower, since JRidge is 3 min from my house! Very Happy
Hudstur

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Wetsuit Answer Reply with quote

Hello, I have surfed for 46 years and kiteboarded for 5 in some really cold weather. I have had the O'Neill, Bare, and many other brands of wetsuit. A visit to Hood River, Oregon last year I found the best warm suits yet. Go online and contact PRO MOTION Wetsuits in Hood River, OR and ask for Les. For some reason these suits are extremely warm. They can even custom make given bodily dimensions. PRO MOTION also cares about our warnth and have good warranties. I have a shorty by a well known wetsuit maker and a PRO MOTION shorty and the PM is about 20% warmer. The quality and price points are great.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the advice.........another quick question..........what do you put on your hands? I use Da Kine cold water mittens.........I find they are pretty good for chilly days, but when it gets into the low 40s I have to come in every 20 - 30 minutes to defrost. Is there anything available that keeps you warm AND able to feel the boom? Thanks again........and Bill, I'll look out for you at Jockey's Ridge when it's snowing!!
fanatik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Bare Drysuit repair Reply with quote

Lots of good ideas, but fix the drysuit for the cold days.
Get the kit from Murrays Marine.

It's easy enough, I've done it.

http://www.murrays.com/archive/07.pdf

"More Wind"
btbill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I do usually abide by the "100 Rule" living here on the OBX. If the air and water add up to less than 100, I usually remain dry. Thus, I do not own gloves or booties, though I did buy a cap this past winter.

All in all, given the past few Hatteras winters, it has been relatively mild (air-temp wise) on the OBX, and we rarely dipped below 45 degrees. Water temps can get down there, but even so, often we can find warm (50+ deg) water oceanside when the Gulf Stream comes in. I usually pay quite close attention to the OBX Sea Surface Temp site during the winter.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey... I stuck around Hatteras last winter and didn't go skiing. I sailed pretty much every windy day last winter, down into the high 20s air temps, high 30s water. I've got a Billabong 6/5/4 surf suit with a built in hood, it's ultra stretchy (feels like my 3/2 from 5 years ago), and is basically dry. My bud Stuart has the same thing, but ONeill, and he did fine all winter too. The high end wetsuits these days don't leak water, maybe a drop or two through the neck, wrists, and ankles, but that's it. Super warm and comfy. I'd go for fit, try on different brands and see what works for your body...

If you dont want a suit that thick, get a 4/3 and also some polypro or neoprene layers to put underneath. Hoods with full necks go a very long way in keeping you warm, too.

For hands, I wore palmless mitts (you can make your da kines palmless pretty easily). No palms limits fatigue and increases boom feel. i kept a cooler with hot water in the truck, would sail for 30 minutes, til numb, then come in and dunk in the hot water till thawed out, then I'd be good to go for a long session (1 hour+ more). I seem to remember a few threads here or on rec.windsurfing about hand warmth tactics, could be worth a search!

See ya next winter!
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate all the input.............thanks.
Frank4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the palmless mitts or gloves, they work really well. You can cut almost any glove or mitt, try it on a old pair. In cold weather try to hold the boom more in your hands instead of the fingers. One note on cold hands, go out for as long as it takes to get cold the first time ( about 10 - 15 minutes for me ) stop and warm them up, but not too long! as soon as they feel better go back out, you should be good for a long time. If you wait too long to go back out the process starts all over. Cooler of hot water too. If your boots and gloves are cold and wet from the previous sesh, a quick dunk into the hot water before you put them on works great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: