myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Something we can all agree on? Starboard + swell ride = ROW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Wells to WS bridge be da place today Reply with quote

Lotsa starboard jumbo sized swell trains available today along the Wells Island to WS bridge sweet spot... shop 'til ya drop with few takers.... doin' da big air while having da good time... yep, nothin' but open space to accomodate da <--- W I D E ---> jibes. Sure beat the Zone of Narcissism.... fer sure!!
bjamin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Hmm, yet another ROW discussion/opinion.. Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure swell riding does not grant ROW over other sailors regardless of initial direction by either. For one thing, swell riding is not the same as down the line wave riding, and if you have done both enough times you should know that. Even so, in most locations sailors on a wave do not have rights over anyone else - other sailors going out, surfers, swimmers, SUP, etc, and it does not matter whether it's kona winds or if you are back side backwinded riding, switch stance, or whatever. Once on a wave you can't run anyone over, except maybe another sailor who drops in late (but actually don't do that, just go around them).

As for swells, once turning down a swell you have changed your course, so ROW no longer applies. ROW only means right to maintain course - once you change it, and that includes starboard sailors who suddenly pinch upwind at port sailors (what's up with that anyway?), you do not instantly have ROW. Besides all that, when swell riding most of us frequently change our direction back and forth, sometimes headed north, south, or east. Sometimes I do 360's, sometimes backwinded going opposite to my initial direction, sometimes switch footed. So the concept of "starboard" swell riding really makes no sense anyway. If you are proficient, then you should be able to avoid other sailors while doing all the above (watch Mr Oaks for example).

Having said all that, I try to yield to those on the swell (or wave) when possible. This is all about having fun, right? This can mean either heading upwind to let them ride down, or even better, turning in synch with them on the same swell, or the swell right behind them. I've had many memorable rides with friends on the exact same swell right next to them. In the spirit of having a good time, we should yield to those with the greater potential for having fun, and hopefully the same will happen when it's our turn.

As to the hatch, clearly the point is often crowded, and it happens to be one of the best locations on the planet for practicing freestyle. If you ride swell often, you should know that the point has no better swell then most other locations between swell city and perhaps as far downwind as the buoy (and the WS bridge is pretty good too). If I decide to spend my time swell riding, and its a good day for it, I'm more often between the point and SC, or downwind toward the cove and beyond. The crowds are far and few between there and the swell just as nice if not nicer.

Finally, the "hot shots" at the point are some of the most positive and enthusiastic windsurfers I've ever been around, and I've been doing this sport for 20+ years. IMO - they have helped to revive this sport and keep it interesting and exciting to watch again. If they get their pictures on the covers of magazines then that's great. I don't want to see this sport being canceled as some have predicted, and I'm more then willing to yield an occasional swell ride to give them their shot at learning a new trick. In fact, in large part because of the encouragement and tips from some of these "hot shots", I've learned some new tricks myself in the last few years - tacks, heli-tacks, upwind and downwind 360s. and in the last year port and starboard forwards. Not to shabby for an old man over 50 I hope. And I've never had more fun windsurfing then while trying all the above. So maybe instead of all this ROW discussion, what we should really be doing is going out there, riding our swell in less crowded locations, perhaps learning a few new tricks, and above all have some fun!
jsampiero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Bjamin. I'm really glad somebody took the time to stand up for those guys, who are really good - and really friendly - sailors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: