myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is going pro in windsurfing quite impossible?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtur13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Is going pro in windsurfing quite impossible? Reply with quote

I have always wondered what it was like going pro in windsurfing, but I have never found out the answer how do you become pro...do you have to live in Maui and be really young when you start or do people still go pro when they are in their 20's. I have always wanted to go pro in the windsurfing but I don't believe I could ever accomplish this goal since I live in Boston, MA and there are not enough of windy days to do some "real" windsurfing. I really need help on what to do and if I ever want to follow my dream of going pro in windsurfing and if this is a bad idea to even try to succeed in!

Add me as a friend if you are looking for the same dream and if you are a teen like me wishing one day that you would go pro and be amazing at windsurfing.
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at what Europe offers for prize money to pros:
http://forums.windsurfingmag.com/showthread.php?t=498

Take a look at a pro windsurfer jumping in the recently completed Expression Session from Pozo...tha's Phillip Koster doing the high altitude jump...Phillip is 14.
http://forums.windsurfingmag.com/showthread.php?t=577

And the second post on this thread is a blog about Greg Thomas...a 61 year old rookie from Maui racing Slaom 42 on the PWA.
http://forums.windsurfingmag.com/showthread.php?t=566
1aloop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be simple, two steps

1. have enough finical support to live where the all the other pros are and sail every windy day

2. sail as good as or better than everyone, and you will meet the people you need to know that can answer this question.
flyskiwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1aloop wrote:
It should be simple, two steps

1. have enough finical support to live where the all the other pros are and sail every windy day

2. sail as good as or better than everyone, and you will meet the people you need to know that can answer this question.

2. Sounds like at least part of the story line for the movie "Blue Crush". Plus probably the story line for LOTS of other movies as well. Smile
1. Kate Bosworth handled this in the movie by working as a hotel maid as well as by living with a bunch of other "girls" in a nice "shack" somewhere on Oahu? I'm heading for Hawaii! Where do I sign up? Cool
human_catapult

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pro windsurfers I've met ain't livin' large. They clearly are doing it because they love it, not for the money.

You don't have to be from Maui... but being from Maui, or the Gorge, or the bay area, or the Caribbean will definitely give you more time to practice.
ScuzzyBreeze

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Cape Cod???!!!?? Reply with quote

If you're in Boston, you're only an hour or two from Cape Cod. Pretty reasonable wind much of the time, and really serious in the spring and fall.

Plus, being a pro is different than it used to be. The huge racing scene from the 70's right on through the early 90's was a very different situation. It was not unusual to jockey for starting position with Olympians. Working to compete against that level of sailor really elevated the skill levels of all involved. It's difficult and expensive to gain that experience these days.

The current racing scenes are largely about money. If you can't afford to get out on the best equipment, it's nearly impossible to compete.

Just my two cents.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated, your area can be supportive with almost enough winds, but never enough waves....depends what kind of "pro" too.
You can be a shop emp and get 20 off wholesale.
You can teach windsurfing and get that too.
Be harder to make it or pure performance.
Drop into NancyJohnson's shop up there, and talk to her and her husband. They were pros.
Basically drop into any long established shop in your area, and talk to peeps who've done it, for an insight in to the life and trial/tribulations.
Long line of pro windsurfers from your area, just look them up. Nevin for sure, of Fiberspar.
You'd have to specialize nowadaze to get close, then diversify one peaking into the door.
JRuffus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could be a pro like me on this team..

http://www.kasail.com/windsurfing/team/jonathan_rufus.html
btbill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe another aspect, and likely most important, of being a "pro" is exposure. Whether in print or online. Start a website or blog, get some regular traffic, and build an online presence. Its the easiest way to gain exposure.

Living on the east coast of the US, it is hard to be a competitive pro since we do not have events which are part of the PWA circuit, especially with regard to high action disciplines such as wavesailing. These disciplines also seem to draw the most attention because of the dramatic visuals as compared to racing, though this point may be debatable.

Of course, you have to ramp your skills, capture your action and have it presented online or in print, to set a name for yourself. This leads to networking "within the industry" and possible factory sponsorship. You still will likely need to pay something for your gear, but the sail stickers and apparel are usually free?!

I guess if the "Blue Crush" pro-path is the call; likely as long as you can get to a place like Maui, afford to live there, and progress, that path is possible. Additionally, most competitions are held outside the US, therefore costs to attend them can be high if you have to cover those expenses yourself. This is likely the main drawback for most of us at or when we were in our late teens/early 20s, since there was no trust fund supporting our younger years!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always hope. I first got paid to windsurf (test WSing gear for a WSing magazine) in 1992 ... at the age of 49 ... and kept it up for four years. And I could barely plane through half my jibes when I started. If at first you don't succeed ...

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: